Will the Obama Meme become Trump's?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Nov 17, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

We're all aware of all the "Thanks, Obama" posts, images and sentiments of the last 8 years.

So will that become, Thanks, Trump... or will we get something else? Perhaps "Trumped again..."

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'll be honest and say I have serious doubts that Donald Trump will a consequential President in any meaningful way. I think its more than likely that he will be remembered, at best, as a momentary lapse of reason. A figure best swept under the rug of the American political and social memory. He is no Ronald Reagan, he is no Barack Obama. And God only knows he's no Lincoln or Jefferson.

"I told you so" are ultimately the least rewarding words ever uttered. Ultimately counterproductive, no matter how much they might fleetingly satisfy the impulses of Schadenfreude that lurk within even the best of us.

3. cube macrumors G5

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Agreed, but the fact remains that Mike Pence (let's be honest about who's really going to do the actual governing here) is going to be selecting the newest members of the Supreme Court. Regardless of tiny hand's "leadership" this incoming administration is going to be shaping the American landscape for at least a generation.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The Trump people will certainly replace the late Antonin Scalia with someone with Conservative credentials. But I doubt that whoever they select will possess the towering intellectual credentials of Scalia. Think a figure in the mode of Clarence Thomas.

I think the thing people seem to forget is this: The Supreme Court is loathe to overturn itself. And while there have been some unfortunate decisions in recent years (Citizens United springs to mind), for the most part, Supreme Court decisions have been generally in favor of at least a moderately progressive vision of the law and Constitution.

In some respects I have grown to have considerable respect for Chief Justice Roberts. While he obviously has Conservative leanings, I don't think that extends towards the more radical reaches of Conservative ideology. In Roberts' mind the central fact behind Roe v. Wade is settled law. Circumstances have not fundamentally changed since that decision was passed in 1973. And that the acute harm done to so many women by its outright overturning would threaten to bring discredit upon the court. Short answer: Chief Justice Roberts cares more about preserving the integrity of the Court rather than pursuing a religious or political agenda. Good for him. Conservatives were not able to overturn Roe v. Wade during twenty years of Republican Presidencies between Reagan and G.W. Bush, with a bench no more liberal than the one they have now. It's premature to think they will do so under Trump.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I say we steal from Sarah Palin ...

How's that Drainy-Swampy stuff working out for ya?

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

She's in Alaska. Melting the glaciers would be more likely. Strangely I think that would be a neat place to live, but it has gotten expensive.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I just moved up there, it's expensive, but wages seem to be higher than a lot of the country.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I was unaware of that other part. I like parks that lack vehicle access. Southern California doesn't really have that, so I'll probably move at some point. I've considered doing so before. I just couldn't decide on where.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Trump will end up being the alt-right Jimmy Carter.

11. jerwin macrumors 65816

I thought Alaskans were paid to live in Alaska.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They get some amount of money which relates to fees paid by oil companies or some other nonsense like that. I think that's also limited to people who have been residents for a certain length of time.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yeah, coming from the Midwest my wife and my salaries about doubled. You'd probably see less of an increase if any coming from Southern California, but you'd make enough to not have a problem with the cost of living.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016 ---
    I think you have to be up here for a full year to be eligible, but I've also heard two years. I'll find out for sure next year.

14. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....They just overturned nearly 200 years of what corruption of elected officials is considered this year. I'm devoid of the notion that the SC is anything but a deeply political organization.

I'm not talking about Roe vs. Wade, overturn that and you'll have mass protest nationwide. I'm more concerned about the "boring" issues of corporate vs. labor/human rights, which no one seems to pay attention to in this country.

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think you are referring to the overturning of fmr. VA Governor Bob McDonnell's conviction.

To be honest I do, in principle, agree with the court's ruling there. Once you get past the optics (which were indeed unseemly) the facts of the case were a little more difficult to uphold.

If the court had not ruled as they did, I can certainly imagine a future prosecution of (oh, I don't know) Hillary Clinton for taking a phone call from a former Clinton Foundation donor while she was Secretary of State. (Note, I don't consider what Clinton did to be even vaguely illegal or corrupt. But you can see how dangerous the sort of standard applied in the McDonnell case could become.)

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Come on. The guy got gifts, got to take a ride in a fancy car (because apparently he's a 17 year old at heart), used the governors mansion to host an event for the guy that paid for all of it.

If that doesn't qualify as corruption, then there is no such thing as corruption legally in the USA.

This is one of those cases where the Court interpreted the case so narrowly as to avoid actually having to address a real issue that all they did was blow a hole in the public's understanding of what corruption is. Apparently you have to hold up today's newspaper, a notarized letter declaring this favor is explicitly for X or Y, and take photographic evidence of the meeting between the two parties for it to NOT pass the sniff test from the SC now.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Instead of Thanks Trump, I propose

Trump ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19. 5684697 Suspended

What acute harm to women are you referencing? Why do you see abortion as the only significant aspect of the SCOTUS worth bringing up?

20. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Perfect.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 18, 2016 ---
    How about the fact that if Roe v Wade gets overturned, females won't stop getting abortions. They will only lose access to safe abortions. How is bringing back coat hangers and back alley abortions progress exactly? If pro-life folks really wanted to reduce abortions, they would lobby for increased contraception and comprehensive sex education. But in many cases the opposite is true.

21. 5684697 Suspended

BS. I want to see documented references to women stuffing coat hangers into their uterus to abort a baby. Show me where these back alley abortions took place commensurate with the 330,000 plus that planned parenthood performed in 2015.

Crap argument that is parroted by unthinking lefties who worship at the altar of abortion. It's all they care about with respect to the SCOTUS, making every appointment hearing a kabuki dance that only cares about abortion. What it really is about is profits for doctors that perform the procedure, dragging unwitting proponents along for the ride.

You brought up conservatives, who generally DO back contraception, but your standard is that the government must provide it for free, which is ridiculous.

What I want to see is Pro Choice supporters who actually promote adoption AND birth control. You never hear that aspect do you? It's all framed as control of a women's body and free or cheap access to abortion.

Sex education? YGTBSM in the internet age. All the knowledge possible concerning contraception and safe sex is at any teenager's fingertips. What a riot that argument is today.

Manage your own life, live with the consequences, and leave the government out of it.

22. jerwin macrumors 65816

23. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Exactly the point. The government shouldn't have a say. Thanks for proving that point :)