Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
i have the 2 year old mini dvi adapter to hook my old early 2010 unibody white macbook to my tv. now i just ordered a top of the line 15" pro and i know that the TB is supposed to transfer sound, but will i need a new cable to do so, or will my mini dvi cable transfer sound with the TB port?

mdma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
DVI doesn't transfer audio, you'll need a TB adapter. I don't even think the miniDVI port will fit into the TB port.

i have the adapter that fits the TB port but it was before TB. its the same shape and everything though, i forgot what its called, but like i said it was the port on the early 2010 unibody macbook. same shape as TB but not TB.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
The port on your 2010 MBP is called a Mini Display Port.

If you have a MDP-DVI adapter you will not get sounds for the reason thejadedmonkey gave you.

If you have a MDP - HDMI adapter (and the adapter supports it) you could get audio out over HDMI from both the 2010 and the new computer without a different adapter.

Once more for good measure: DVI does NOT carry audio.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
When did the MBPs start carrying audio over the MDP? I know that for older ones, Monoprice has adapters for about $30 that use the optical out port for audio, USB for power, and MDP for video, and combine them all on to an HDMI port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.