Will the rumors of iPhone 5 being in short supply at launch change your plans?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulpfiction, Sep 19, 2011.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

This is one of those rumors that you won't know is true unil you see a 3-4 week backorder the day after launch.

For some reason I'm envisioning the pre-order process to be a total mess this time around...If they even offer pre-orders (ie iPad 2).

I for one am anticipating a shortage and will be camping out the night before launch. Usually I show up on launch day 5-6 hrs before they open. But this time I'm gonna spend the night. And even if they do preorders I will pre-order for an instore pick up and still camp out.

Anyone else obsessed enough to take drasitc measures to avoid the possible LONG backorders after launch? If so, what are your plans?

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I've waited this long for the iPhone 5 already... I can wait a few weeks for my online order to get here.

I simply refuse to stand in line for hours and hours at an Apple store with no guarantee of getting one. F that!

I can always go into the Apple store to play with an iPhone 5 as well until my online order arrives ;)

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I won't be getting 5 until end if November so I hope I get mine before Christmas

4. Chilks macrumors newbie

Well, I hope I can order (or pre-order) from their website the day they launch it. If not, I too can wait a few weeks more. :)

- Chilks

5. alflavor macrumors regular

No, I've waited long enough, as I opted out of an upgrade to the 4 when I was eligible in May.

I will order the day I can online with my carrier Orange UK, and just wait until it lands on my doorstep. The sooner the better but a week or two won't hurt and having just taken a refurbished 3GS on AppleCare I still have a darn good phone to last we until the hallowed '5'

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I was able to wait a month for my iPad 2 to arrive, so I think I can wait a bit longer for the iPhone 5 which I have been waiting for months to get.

There is an Apple store a couple of minutes from campus. I believe I will be doing this as well while I wait for my FedEx package.

7. Sean* macrumors newbie

Sean*

I have just upgraded to an iPhone 4 from a 3GS. I was contemplating waiting a few more weeks but it was a free upgrade. When the 5 comes out i'll have to shell out around £300 or so for the handset on my contract. No way....

Got the iPhone 4 for free, selling my 3GS to envirofone for £140. So I'm quids in.

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I've waited for a sneaker for 22 hours last winter in the snow. I'm pretty sure I can camp out overnight in October.

9. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

If the launch isn't on a school day ill be there bright and early, if i can't be there ill order. this all depends if i like the phone this year or if i feel worth it to upgrade.

10. ap3604 macrumors 68000

You know your insane right? :p

You are very strong and dedicated to your goals... but still insane ;)

P.S. hope those sneakers were made out of gold

11. LoganT macrumors 68020

I downloaded the Apple Store iPhone App just so I can pre-order the iPhone 5 as soon as possible, wherever I am.

12. note235 macrumors 6502a

Waiting, overnight
    I live BLackfriday frenzy even If the majority of the prices are bad but since I'm getting major surgery, the launch will be mg frenzy

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This time around?

So last years iPhone 4 pre-order process will have been considered a walk in the park compared to this years ordering process :eek::eek:

Count me out then...

14. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I swore I'd never be one of those "idiots" who stood in massive lines for anything. I used to laugh driving past a Best Buy or whatever and seeing lines of people waiting for the wii, or waiting for the doors to open on Black Friday....That was until 2007 and the launch of the 1st iPhone. I only waited in line 2 hrs or so, but it was a great time. So every year since then I've stood in line, each year a little longer, and each year it was a great time.

Now I actually look forward to standing in line...It seems I'm always surrounded by a good group of people which makes the wait go by much quicker. Everyone is there for the same reason so there is a lot to talk about. I also enjoy meeting new people and I've actually made a few friends that I met in iPhone lines. Looking back, I'd say it was almost as fun standing in line, as it was getting my hands on the newest iPhone on launch day. But it's weird because I don't think I would ever enjoy standing in line for anything else. In fact, I think I would hate it.

So yes, I am now one of those "idiots"...At least when it comes to iPhone. Why, I don't know. I guess it's that magical, brainwashing dust that SJ sprinkles in every Apple product package. It remains to be seen how the TC magical dust will affect us.

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not eligible for upgrade until Nov 6th :( so I guess I'll take what I can get at that point.

16. MustangJoe macrumors member

I'll preorder if I can at Verizon. Do you guys really think there will be a short supply? I mean with some of these rumors it sounds like they will have plenty.

17. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I'm not eligible till December 4th so I have nothing, but time as well to wait.

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Least we have IOS 5 to keep us entertained in the meantime

I won't likely have mine until dec as well...just depends how long I have to wait to have it delivered being in the UK...hopefully not longer than a month.

19. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I'm hoping they aren't short of supply. Sales will be off the hook in this since it's an iPhone and I'm sure Apple has been anticipating this and produced a good amount.

20. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Damn. I hope those sneakers were worth it. Out of curiosity, which sneakers were they?

This is also a factor for me. But I'm assuming a Friday release like every year, and therefore I can't wait in line because I'd be missing classes. Although, if I want it bad enough, I could always skip class one day :D

Btw, I like your location.

21. edk99 macrumors 6502a

No change here. I'm ordering mine online and when it gets here it gets here. Don't have time to wait in line for a PHONE.

22. LoganT macrumors 68020

If it's just a "PHONE" why aren't you saving your money and buying a flip phone?

23. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

If Apple learned anything from last summer, they've streamlined the pre-order process and improved their servers to handle the traffic.

I'll be ordering one as soon as possible, assuming that the design has changed pretty drastically. If it's a 4S only, I may need to rethink.

24. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

Yep, if it's just a 4S, I wont be getting it for sure. Well, maybe if its thinner :D

25. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan