Will the scissor keyboard mechanism rumored in the 16" MacBook Pro mean it will be thicker?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Hieveryone, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

From what I understand the butterfly mechanism makes the keyboard thinner, so then will the scissor mechanism make for thicker macbook pros?

For the record, I like my keyboard a lot. I'm using a 2019 MacBook Pro 15 inch 2.6/16/256/6-core

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

No, that's not what that means.

using a slightly thicker actuator for the keyboard switches (and no one knows yet if the actuators will be thicker) just means that there will likely be some internal space used for that extra thickness -- but (again) no one knows if that will translate into a thicker MBPro.
    All your questions about a not-yet-released product will be answered when that product is released.

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Wait if there’s less internal space wouldn’t it run hotter than it is already? I thought it needs more space for the throttling

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

I don't need to wait...
    That question will have only one good answer: Wait until the new MBPro is released.
    (You're making assumptions based on older hardware. That might prove to be completely wrong.)

5. Nacho98 macrumors member

I wouldn't assume that the new scissor switch is going to be thick, and I also wouldn't assume it's going to be the 2015 and older keyboard ripped right out of a time warp, which I think most people think it's going to be.

I'd be willing to bet it's a scissor mechanism that has similar travel/feel to the butterfly keyboard. In other words, it will be an entirely new scissor keyboard.

6. ericwn macrumors 68030

Nobody really knows what and if there will be a new keyboard. It’s all just speculation right now until it’s announced.

Personally I dislike the current keyboards and have to work with one daily, though thankfully not all day.

7. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

Looks like the whole machine is a redesign => nobody can answer you until we see it!

8. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Why should this matter?
    What "matters" is that the new keyboard design WORK consistently without failing.

Similarly, the new 16" display should be accompanied by a lid that IS "thicker" and less-flexible.
    So that it won't "flex" and damage the display panel...

9. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I can imagine the KB being similar to the Magic KB - it's also quite low travel (though not to the extent of the butterfly KB). Given internal space is at an absolute premium for the hot-running components, I don't see there being any room to sink the KB further in, so if I had to guess, I'd go with the 16" being up to perhaps 1mm or so thicker. Probably not even noticeable unless they're sat next to each other.

10. jerryk macrumors 601

Also, people should not expect a new keyboard not have a new set of issues. Not sure I would every buy the first year of any Apple redesign. Their track record is pretty spotty.

11. ghanwani macrumors 65816

I don't care so much about thickness as I do about weight. A few mm of thickness sacrificed for a better typing experience is totally fine.

12. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

I mainly have not yet been specifically able to undoubtedly ascertain whether a butterfly is particularly thinner or thicker than a scissor. My team and myself should sort of be singularly conducting a predominantly thorough assessment of this matter. Results should follow. Certainly follow.

13. BLBL macrumors 6502a

I also think they will not introduce long travel keyboard. But what I don't get is that how come almost everyone expects scissors mechanism solve all the problems magically? In my view the issues are due to short key travel, so it doesn't really make much difference whether key support mechanism is butterfly or scissor. To me butterfly even look a lot like scissors mechanism, just build slightly different way but the same function as scissor.