Will the screen size impact your next iPhone purchase.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by k3roro, Mar 23, 2012.

?

Will the screen size of the next iPhone impact your purchasing decision

1. Yes, I will change my decision if the screen size differs from my preference.

56 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. No, I'll stick with my original decision regardless the screen size.

58 vote(s)
    50.9%
  1. k3roro macrumors 6502

While I agree that everyone has their preference to the screen size of the next generation of iPhone, I'm just wondering what percentage of the general population would have the same thought process as me.

I for one, do not think the screen size would impact my purchasing decision of the next generation of iPhone, if it's :
    3.7'', sure
    4.0'', excellent
    4.3'', a bit too big for my liking, but sure
    4.6'', way too big, but i'll still buy it.

Now, call me what you want to call me, iSheep or whatever term it is that they use for blind followers, but for me I don't really value screen real estate, i think 3.5'' is enough already. There are a lot of other things I like about the iPhone and the screen size is not really my concern, but seems to be a lot of article talking about it, so I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that feels this way.

TLDR:

Given that the screen size of the next generation of iPhone is different then what you prefer/expected, and you were previously planning on purchasing the next generation of iPhone, will you now look at other alternative phones as a result of this.

Thanks,

2. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Still planning to buy the next generation phone. Skipped both the 3GS and 4S, but my current 4 acts flakey ever since I got some OJ on it. Speakerphone won't come on, and when it last rained, it got damp. It thinks until it dries out that the headphones are plugged in, making it difficult to use.

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I do want to buy the next iPhone as I'm sure it'll have some appealing features that the 4S doesn't have. However, if the screen size remains the same I may try out some WP7 or Android devices with larger screens before deciding to buy the next iphone.

4. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I don't want to see anything more then 4"

with that said I will buy one either way, I trust Apple knows what they are doing!

5. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Yes.

It's more down to the device size overall though. If it's too big for my liking I'll get a Windows Phone or a Samsung Galaxy S3. The only reason I chose to get a 4S over any other phone is mainly because of it's form factor.

6. andross77 macrumors regular

Even though i would LOVE to have a bigger screen the number one best way to decide on what phone fits you best is which OS you like most. For me, i like iOS better than android/blackberry/WP7/Symbian/Palm (R.I.P.), etc.

So why would I switch to an INFERIOR operating system (IMHO) just because of screen size? That makes NOOOOO sense. Obviously if someone sees 2 OS's as completely equal, then screen size could sway them. But the operating systems are so different I don't see how someone could think that.

To each his own though i guess....:)

7. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

What I want in the iPhone 5...

#1 Camera - My phone is fast becoming my point-and-shoot camera. I have a DSLR, but I don't want to carry it with me everywhere. So, a better camera would be my biggest factor (I have the 4. The 4s camera is better. i am hoping for even better in the 5.).

#2 LTE - The lack of LTE in the 4s is why I don't have it right now. My 4 is still working flawlessly, and I hope it will until the 5, which I believe will have LTE.

#3 - Silence notifications during phone calls - I realize this is a software issue, not hardware, but it is so annoying to me that I NEED it fixed.

#4 - Screen size - I would like a larger screen (especially as I use the phone as a camera), but it is not a deal killer for me.

8. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

9. irDigital0l Guest

my 32GB iPhone 4 is still a great phone (i have the verizon one btw)

But being a long time loyal customer to Verizon they said I could get a 2-3 early upgrade with 2 year contract. I bought my iPhone 4 from them in Feb 2011 but I can get an early upgrade in Oct 2012 (or else I have to wait till Feb 2013).

My priorties for the next iPhone

1. 4G LTE
    2. 4 inch screen
    3. FaceTime 3G/4G & FaceTime HD
    4. NFC
    5. Better camera, faster chip

10. jumpmandds macrumors regular

Yes ready for a big change mainly 4 inch screen I'll be happy with if not my 4s will do

11. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

12. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

3.7'', Yes :D

4.0'', Maybe if the form factor is the same :)

4.3'', Never

4.6'', Never

13. Zxxv Suspended

Wirelessly posted

Till I see it and play with it I can't say what I'll do. But I do like the current size. Just needs to be lighter.

14. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

I don't buy the iPhone for it's screen size. I buy the iPhone for the ecosystem. I would like a 4.0, but I'll still buy with a 3.5.

15. batotman macrumors 6502

My biggest complaint is screen size. Friends pull out their giant screened phones and I'm envious. Apple won't go to 4.5" but I hope at least 4". Heck if it was 4.3" and no other changes, I'd buy it.

16. Knoxcore macrumors newbie

I read a lot on my iPhone, not books, but articles from various news apps. I need a bigger screen simply for readability. Imput is another big factor and a larger screen will help in that department.

17. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The iPhone is a smartphone, the kind that is designed for web browsing and other tasks where a larger display is very useful. For those who don't need a smartphone, or like a tiny display, the old 3.5" size is fine.

For those of us who use a smartphone as it's intended to be used, especially if one has used one with a modern display size of 4.3" or larger, then you understand. I surely hope Apple goes to 4.3" or larger. It would do a lot for their image as a cutting edge company.

If not, they will still sell millions upon millions, there are a lot of young boys and girls, as well as women and some men that like a small phone.

It's the exaggeration that really makes me laugh. To hear some people describe a phone with a 4" display as too big for this or for that, is quite hilarious. :D

18. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Would like to see a 4" but if it stays the same I'm sure it'll have something good on it to convince me to buy. Wouldn't want anything bigger though.

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If the screen size is bumped, I will stick with it no doubt. If not, I will likely get something else, unless there is some other feature that blows me away (and LTE is not enough for me).

20. WhoAmI2 macrumors member

I would like a larger screen and think it's time for a 4" screen on the iPhone. I don't want 4.6" but wouldn't cry with a 4.3" screen. I was against a larger screen on the iPhone but I now believe it's time.

I will buy it no matter what size screen it has as iPhone is the best phone for me.

21. cynics macrumors G3

Exactly my thoughts.

If it doesn't increase I'll keep the 4S and then eventually get something else. Depends on what I feel is best at the time for me.

22. magamo macrumors 6502

If your "regardless" allows a little caveat "unless Apple makes a ridiculous decision such as going with a smaller screen size or doubling the footprint," I wouldn't change my mind regardless of the screen size. It's definitely not the most important thing to me.

23. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I tried a Galaxy Nexus for 2 weeks but didn't like how big it was and it had a 4.65" screen. It was really hard swiping from the top of the screen. I ended up going back to my 4S. I'd be willing to buy the next iPhone as long as it's not any bigger than 4.3". Before trying the GNex I would have said 4" was the biggest I'd go for but now I think 4.3" wouldn't be so bad.

24. hexonxonx macrumors 601

No.I'm buying each iPhone until Apple doesn't make iPhones.

25. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, I think Apple can only push loyalty so far...If the next iPhone does not have improved screen size, I would have to consider something else. I hope it doesn't come to that though...Have no idea what I'd buy instead.