Will the stories trickling in of the Apple Watch saving lives increase sales?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by braddick, May 11, 2018.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I know I am tempted. We purchase insurance and spend thousands on medical care along with being careful (mostly!) of what we eat and how we excercise that spending a few hundred on a watch that'll let me know if I am having an immediate health issue- specifically my heart- would be a no-brainer.
    Your thoughts (outside of my terrible pun)?

2. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I think it would.

Not too long ago, Apple's strategy was equate the AW to luxury watches that is smart and to advertise the AW as a fashion accessory.

That didn't work out.

But I think having it as a health accessory makes it more appealing to a larger audience.

IIRC, Apple decided to remove certain health features/sensors from the 0 series that was previously announced. I can't remember what these features were though.

Maybe if they started out the AW as some type of health monitor instead of a fashion accessory, maybe they would have sold a lot more.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The Apple Watch is a device for monitoring and gauging one’s health. I don’t know that these stories we read about on the front page will completely sway costumers to want to Purchase it (And how many actually pay attention to these stories I question as well). I think consumers will purchase the watch for many reasons, but one has to physically take care of themself through a healthy diet and regular exercise, the watch serves as a companion and can be a tool by reaching goals to close the rings. Its a great device and has lots of potential for other health advancements in the future.

4. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Yes, in retrospect this is pretty obvious. Apple was initially too focused with fashion, and 'making a personal statement' and so on, especially with regards to the $ludicrous gold edition watch.

However that said, it's really difficult getting everything right the first go around. They do seem to have a much firmer grasp on things now however. Few people really care about watches as fashion/personal statements anymore, but most of us care about our health. Plus the watch has gained more convenience features as well over the past couple years, especially with series 3/LTE.

The watch is the apple product that intrigues me the most, and has been basically ever since rumors of it first started. The iphone was quite mature even before the watch ever launched, but here there is a chance to break new ground, and make big strides in technology and user experience with every iteration in a way that you really can't do with smartphones anymore.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

One thing that seems to be getting tossed around or is a misconception is the watch is not a _fashion device_ anymore, when the reality is, it’s still very much is a fashion device, but Apple just doesn’t _emphasize_ it like they used to. As you can see, if you look at their marketing, it’s geared towards closing the health rings, adding new functionality for various workouts or tracking other metrics in the work out application, motivation to move, ect.

If and when Series 4 launches this fall, I’m willing to believe it will focus on the external physical changes, but again, emphasize and promote a healthy lifestyle. That’s what the watch is really after, and that’s the maturation process that the watch will ultimately become one day even with something like glucose monitoring.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It is not just the Apple Watch. Technology is becoming available to do way more. The Apple Watch is this tech in it’s infancy. So much more to come.