Will the ultraslim (9.5mm) Superdrive fit in a slim (12.7mm) USB enclosure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by piwi, May 23, 2010.

1. piwi macrumors regular

I couldn't find whether or not it would fit...
    Ultraslim cases are harder to come by and more expensive than slim ones but my SD is an ultraslim.
    Then would a 12.7mm slot loading bezel fit on the whole thing?

2. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Nope. If you don't want it to rattle around that is.

3. piwi thread starter macrumors regular

4. JacaByte macrumors 6502

More like a dime in a penny slot. It'd work, you'd just have a lot of slop to work with.

5. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Worse. 2.5" HDDs sometimes come with mounting brackets to fit them into 3.5" ones. Here you won't even get that.

6. piwi thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure I fully understand.
    12.7mm and 9.5mm drives are the same width, it's just the height that varies whereas 2.5" and 3.5" have different width and heights altogether.

7. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Why do you want to do this in the first place ? Why do you want to put something into something else that are not made for each other and that don't fit ? Its just a superdrive you know, not a spacecraft docking with a mother ship ? Just buy a 9.5mm enclosure and your problem is solved - easy.

8. piwi thread starter macrumors regular

because I can't find any 9.5mm slot loading bezels, only 12.7mm and I don't want to have a frankendrive either.
    Out of curiosity too, for knowledge's sake, because I like to know things.

9. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Well I suggest start trying to know something useful if you're curious about knowledge. Grampa wears 9 size shoes. Will his feet fit into a 12 sized boot ? A baby can answer that. Here is what you're look for. I got one for myself and it works fine. They ship worldwide for cheap.

10. piwi thread starter macrumors regular

I'm glad you are able to put your useless thoughts and some constructive answers all in the same sentence.

11. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Oh so I'm the bad guy now ! I'm the one acting like a kid asking muttonheaded questions like whether a size 9 drive will go into a size 12 bay. Do you know why 40 people viewed your thread yet no one else commented in it ? Because they read it, laughed at your "quest for knowledge" from the other side of their computers and moved on.

Yea. Right. My thoughts are useless. Carry on.