Will the unlocked iPhone 5 be available at launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Sep 11, 2012.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I remember the unlocked 4S wasn't released until 3-4 weeks after the carrier versions of the device and I'm hoping that this time the 5 will be release simultaneously. I know nobody knows for sure but what do you guys think?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

4. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I would think it would be the same as the 4S or longer...

5. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

That would suck. I wonder if buying the full priced, off-contract AT&T iPhone would automatically be unlocked by iTunes like it was for the 4S.

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

What I did last year to get a factory unlocked iphone 4s was buying a full retail att 4s at apple! Activated it with a tmobile sim rite on spot worked like a charm!

7. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

That's what I was talking about above. You don't even have to activate it with a SIM from another carrier, you just have to make sure they don't set it up at the Apple store and you do it yourself via iTunes. iTunes should automatically unlock a full priced iPhone.

8. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I wish but I doubt it.

Still waiting for T-Mobile to re farm it's local towers for 3G in my area. My unlocked iPhone 4s holds a great connection despite being on EDGE. Slow but works well for battery life for now.

----------

I was actually going to ask about this. Had to send my 4s back to Apple for service. I may end up with a refurb unit and hope I still can drop my Tmo sim in and go.

9. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I'm kind of surprised there. I always thought since ATT sells it, it would still be carrier locked to them.

10. profets macrumors 68040

I believe it's very dependent on the sale at the Apple store.

In Canada we've had them sold unlocked directly for 2-3 years without delays at launch. But since the iPhone 4 we noticed depending on how the sales rep at Apple does the purchase it can be inadvertently locked to a carrier - Eg, when scanning a free sim card onto the same receipt it was registering the iPhone on that receipt to be locked to that carrier in their database.

Just something to look out for if buying a full price 'ATT' iPhone.

11. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Factory unlocked iphone status carry over to the one apple will give you in exchange!

I did say apple store! All att store that carry the iphone are already locked once they get to the store! Att locked all imei in their system. On the other hand at an apple store the imei will lock once you purchase it at a contract price such as $199, and not full retail price.

Well dont know about canada I dont live there! So yea it worked for all 5 iphone 4S i bought on launch day.

12. speed4tu macrumors member

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I plan to buy one unlocked too. I doubt they will be available right away, but if it's another month or so from now that's fine. I'd like to have one by the last week of October, it's cutting it a little close but I'll keep an eye on them.

14. jj47 macrumors regular

Depends where you live.

If you're in the UK it will be available factory unlocked from Apple's website at launch.

15. 617aircav Suspended

Why $100 more?

16. Shizlmynizel macrumors newbie

Yep, I bought my 4S at launch last year unlocked. I'm in Western Australia :)

17. madsci954 macrumors 68030

This is true, but his location is NYC. So I'm, and probably others are, assuming he's in the US, so the unlocked phones will probably go on sale about a month after the new iPhone launches (it was about 1 month for the 4S)

18. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Of course, everything posted above is a best guess. Nobody will know until tomorrow. Maybe.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

It won't be automatically unlocked, but you can call AT&T to unlock it if you pay full price (they'll place a limit on unlocks to prevent resellers from using them as suppliers).

----------

He bought it from an Apple Store. I did the same thing. Hopefully Apple just releases the unlocked phone right away. I'd rather buy it online since I have a deal in place to sell my 4S.