Will there be a 128GB iPhone??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tmanto02, Jul 1, 2012.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Whats your thoughts?? I would love to carry my whole music library on my phone. Reminds me of the good old days when iPod Classic was king.

2. Siggen macrumors 6502

3. brent.spargo macrumors newbie

To me, it all depends on two things; if apple can procure sufficient 128GB modules AND whether or not there's sufficient space in the next phone for it; Assuming the 128GB module is the same size as the 64GB module, then that solves that part of the equation, but price will also be important for Apple.

4. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

64GB model with Micro SD card slot that takes up to 128GB for a total of 192GB iPhone 5

5. Siggen macrumors 6502

All this is answered in the link

And 128 gig aint that much on a NAND chip.

Here is a one year old article about yesteryears 20nm 128GB NAND die, the die goes into the chip.

It will happen, but I don't think this year, because I don't think they see the market as craving it.

However it will happen, the die will be cheaper, and apple will buy it. Try buying some old hardware, you will see the price is not worth what you get. Even buying a NES on ebay for 25 dollars is not worth it compared to processor speed. So Apple will be forced to up the space, later rather than sooner.

It will happen sooner tough. Lots of universal (iPhone & iPad apps on one), take 1g and up. And this will increase.

To the original question, it is a stupid question (and don't pardon me for saying). The answer is of course. A better question is will it happen this year or the next year? For this year, i doubt, maybe next year, MAYBE.

6. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

I'm sure eventually. The question is: when?

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hell maybe apple will introduce a sd micro slot too !

:D

8. tann macrumors 68000

I think so, but not until 2013 at the very earliest! Heck, even the iPad hasn't got 128GB yet!

9. Exio macrumors regular

Yes, you can expect it to appear with the introduction of the 15th generation iphone. It will be revolutionary, even though it's been on other phones for 10 years prior.

:rolleyes:

10. Tones2 macrumors 65816

No way the iPhone gets 128GB anytime in the next 2 years. After that, it's really how the rest of the market goes.

Note that there WILL be a 128GB microSD card out this year, so all those phones that support microSDXC like the SGS3 will not only be able to have that but plus anything that's internal in the phone itself. Though not the iPhone of course.

11. jdusoccer12 macrumors regular

Until they come out with that try iTunes match, $25 and you get access to all your music on your phone all the time. With this reason that is why I think Apple will take longer on 128GB so you have to use their service. It is a lot better than I ever imagined it was going to be.

12. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

We will definitely see 128 GB iPhones. If not this year, highly probably next year, and definitely in 2014!

We will have 1 TB iPhones before 2030 if Apple still makes iPhones by then.

13. Siggen macrumors 6502

Have you seen the size of the iPad motherboard?
    It is just a little bigger than the iPhone iPod Touches.

They run the same size per generation for this reason.

So your iPad point is mute....

But you might be just right about the 2013 estimate, time will tell. But the iPad has a bigger chance of getting it next year, or maybe even this year (don't think so but). Because they have different budget and margins. and heat cooling

14. Twixt macrumors 6502

That would be a blessing! By I doubt AAPL intends to provide us with SD slot :/

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

might be a while. All Apple really needs to do is look at the demand on their 64gig models compared to the 32 gig and if not many people are jumping upto 64 gigs even less will go for 128 gigs.

16. mono1980 macrumors 6502

Eventually, but I don't think they'll do it this year.

17. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

With every new iphone release the storage goes up, so yes... I'm more than sure the next iphone will be 32, 64, and maybe.. 80 or 120 GB storage. I would bet on 120 over 180 sicne nobody would really go for only 80 if they can get a 64.

18. softypolimer macrumors member

yes! possibly in 7 years time at the launch of iPhone 10s.
    The apps would be bigger by then (approximately 3gb per app)

Honestly, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. The 64gb model is already one of the most expensive smartphones on the market and sell only limited amount on some country. I believe Apple would not risk to rise their iPhone price against their rival atm.

19. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Not question of IF but WHEN.

Max storage options have doubled every OTHER iPhone generation, so I would expect not to see one this fall, but perhaps next fall.

Seems like a lot of $pace. My 16Gb and iCloud gets me by still ...

20. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I agree that it's a matter of when. 128 would be pretty snazzy, but still wouldn't be at 160 like the iPod Classic. I'm glad these new storage mediums are coming down in price.

21. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Because it is $200 more.

If they were all priced the same guess which one would sell out and which one would remain?

The demand is there, the price is the barrier.

Cloud is not the answer to everything. And iTunes match is useless if most of my music isn't even on iTunes to begin with.

22. PJ. macrumors regular

Have Apple ever released the percentage split of the different size iPhone storage they sell now? If it did come out would the base model be 32gb or would they make 4 different storage sizes?

PJ.

23. Totty1987 macrumors regular

An 128GB iPhone 5 would be the only thing to make me part with my 64gb 4s. I really hope this comes to fruition. :)

24. Tones2 macrumors 65816

There will NOT be a 128GB iPhone this year but there WILL be a 128GB microSD card. But no microSD slot on the iPhone.

Hmm....what phones DO have a microSD slot that can have an iPod Classic matching 160 GB accessible at one time by year-end? :D

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Depends on the market. If 32GB and 64GB models start outstripping the 16GB models I would expect 128GB to appear within a year or two.

Though, I think the market prefers a cheaper entry price, and juggling storage needs. For now at least.