Will there be a new Mac Pro in 2016?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by ManuelGomes, Oct 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacc macrumors 6502a

I'm not arguing whether or not its a good idea to shrink the chassis, only that if you do there are a lot of constraints using standard hardware.

Apple has been neglecting the thunderbolt display, but once thunderbolt 3 rolls around I'm sure there will be a 5k retina display. Apple needed to support the thunderbolt ecosystem with the mac pro and do it in a way that was consistent with all its other products. This means supporting the thunderbolt display and devices daisy chained off of it.

2. ZombiePhysicist macrumors 6502a

ZombiePhysicist

Well I see the attraction of it being smaller for a few reasons. It's lighter, occupies less space and is more readily put on more desktops than acting as boat anchors behind a desk. For a lot of people, the space matters.

Also, those legacy bays are things that are highly anachronistic and not used by many (even by mac pro standards of many). I think it's laughable that Apple's new keyboard has an eject button because even pros almost never use DVDs anymore. This is just hardware cruft, IMO.

I agree it's not a good goal in and of itself, but if you posit that those things are no longer needed, if form follows function, then the design invariably shrinks, IMO.

3. ZombiePhysicist macrumors 6502a

ZombiePhysicist

I get the technical reason, but the pro market has been largely ignored for 6 years. The trashcan mac didn't cut it, and there's no reason they didnt modernize their screens in the interim. Why would you make your pro users wait that long when there are better solutions in the interim.

4. AidenShaw, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015

AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

But you don't shrink the form so much that it no longer functions - one of the criticisms of the MP6,1.

5. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

In the meantime, a lot of Dell displays are being connected to Apples.

6. ZombiePhysicist macrumors 6502a

ZombiePhysicist

I dont get how you jump to that conclusion. You still need PCI slots (maybe 3 instead of 4). YOu still need at least one 3.5" bay for now. You need say 5 SSD slots. 4-8 memory modules. So you save on the space needed for 2 5.25" bays and 3 3.5" bays. Power supply design probably has improved. That shrinks a bit. So it's not like it needs to be tiny. Just an incremental step smaller than the old mac pro tower.

7. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

I've always referred to the cMP as a "maxi-tower" - too much stuff and too big for most people. I'm very happy with the mini/midi tower format for most people.

My Dell Precision midi-tower has two optical bays - one full sized for the BD-RE, one slimline for the DVD-RW.

Two 3.5 inch bays, each of which is hosting two SSDs.

128 GiB RAM (eight 16GiB rDIMMs).

A GTX960 4 GiB pushing two Dell 4K monitors.

A system that probably a lot of people here would love to have running Apple OSX.

8. zephonic macrumors 65816

zephonic

I'm pretty sure the unified thermal core hasn't been done before. I think that is a unique and ingenious design.

9. filmak, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015

filmak macrumors 65816

Imho I think that Apple Displays, (iMac included) by the time they became glossy mirrors, stopped to be so great for pros, artists, graphics, DTP, etc...
    I really don't know but it seems that Apple's hardware decisions are not so pro friendly anymore, and as a result a certain (major?) part of pros are already moving away, a. because of the unsuitable screens and b. because of the lack of 2013 MP's internal expansion. TB2 is good for disks etc but as our systems age we will for sure face some day the grand GPU problem....

10. filmak macrumors 65816

This so true, and I have to add that it is also a very quiet system, for the people who really care about noise... no comparison with the old MPs or other workstations.

11. MacVidCards Suspended

please feel free to look up "Mac G4 Cube"

How soon they forget.

12. filmak, Nov 22, 2015

filmak macrumors 65816

Soon? it was about 15 years ago:).
    You 're right, there is indeed a similarity, of course the cube was without a fan, and, what a surprise, it was a little underpowered. Also if I 'm not mistaking I think that there were some serious overheating problems.
    Fortunately they didn't say at the release date that this was the design they would follow till 2010.:)

a view of the past:
    http://archive.arstechnica.com/reviews/4q00/g4cube_cd/g4-cube-4.html

13. zephonic macrumors 65816

zephonic

Ah, the Cube. I made this meme when the nMP was first introduced:

[​IMG]

But I was talking about the Unified Thermal Core. As you suggested, I looked it up and could not find something like it in the Cube.

On some photos, there appears to be some kind of central heatsink, but I don't think that is quite the same.

14. 996085 macrumors 6502

My 2010 cMP and my Z600 are very quiet systems. Every review I've read about the cMP proclaimed how quiet it was. I think the same can be said of the Z600. Given the nMP doesn't have the cooling requirements of the cMP (it just isn't as expandable) it better be quiet. The nMP does not have a monopoly on quiet.

15. zephonic, Nov 22, 2015

zephonic macrumors 65816

zephonic

Wow, thanks for sharing the link. So unfortunate Siracusa no longer writes for Ars.

While the Cube did have a central heatsink, Apple solved part of the problem by moving the power supply outside the box.

Sure, there are similarities in design philosophy, but I do think the nMP's unified thermal core is sufficiently different to be labeled unique.

16. zephonic macrumors 65816

zephonic

My 2009 cMP is so noisy I had to move it out of the room. But I do music and audio, so what's acceptable to me may not necessarily be the norm. And I'll say it is nowhere near as noisy as the old G4's. That thing could put a vacuum cleaner to shame.

17. filmak macrumors 65816

Yes I agree.:)
    Probably their relationship is like the evolution from homo erectus to homo sapiens ;)

18. filmak macrumors 65816

Very nice:)

19. 996085 macrumors 6502

Not sure the nMP is that impressive wrt to noise levels. Here are Apple's specifications for the 2010 and 2013 Mac Pros:

2010:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP589?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

2013:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP697?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

As you can see the has a dBA rating of 14 and the 2010 a dBA rating 26 (I just choose two at random). I wouldn't be surprised if the additional noise from the 2010 was based on the hard disk. It would be nice to see some numbers with an SSD in the 2010.

20. filmak macrumors 65816

Yes, his articles were very useful, unique and really good, as you said it's so unfortunate...

21. filmak macrumors 65816

Believe me. There is no need for specs, extra tests etc. We are using these macs for years, (with SSDs installed) there is a big difference in noise levels.

22. filmak macrumors 65816

Also don't forget that the older MPs have extra noise levels because they have, in addition to the internal fans, the GPU(s) fans running.

23. ZombiePhysicist macrumors 6502a

ZombiePhysicist

I think the "quiet nMP" argument is moot, or perhaps mute . You end up putting so many drive enclosures hanging off this thing, or PCI cages, that you have way more fans and power sucking devices around. That's the case for most pro people.

24. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

This could be resolved if the nMP had 10GbE for networking. But without an internal expansion slot that's an expensive and unwieldy proposal involving an external thunderbolt chassis.

25. filmak macrumors 65816

So weren't/aren't these drive enclosures used with the pre nMP Macs, or was these internal SATA 2 bottlenecked drives fast enough or silent for pros? please ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.