Will there be enough stock by the 20th?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roxics, Oct 3, 2013.

1. roxics macrumors regular

So I bought a 5C on launch day and considering returning for a 5S. I bought from the Apple store in person.

Will Apple have enough stock by the 20th of this month or will they be running shortages till the end of the year?

I traded in my 4S for the 5C, so I don't have another phone to go back to should I return the 5C. So I really only have until the 20th when my 30 day return limit is up.

I'd like a 32GB gold on AT&T if possible, but silver would be cool too.

2. macsoulo macrumors newbie

They're backed up beyond November..

I'd be surprised if the 5s was in stores before the year is out. It'll be 2014 before you'd be able to buy one.

You could try cycling through all the 5c colors until it's available...?

3. roxics thread starter macrumors regular

So what are my options?

I've been checking the local apple stores on a daily basis and they don't have 5S models in stock in any style or capacity. Can I pick up a cheap $15 GoPhone and then return my 5C and buy the 5S online at the Apple store? I would need a basic phone to tide me over till the 5S arrives. So will a GoPhone work?

Apple is likely to put the money for the 5C back on an Apple gift card, so it won't be cash in hand that I can go to the AT&T store with. Because I bought my 5C by trading in my 4S.

So is this something they will alow me to do?

4. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Apple is already backed up and with new markets and more carriers launching in November supply will be even more constrained

5. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Idk that you have many options. You traded in your 4s to get a better phone, but yet that phone doesn't please you? If someone already has a 5c or a 5s I believe you should just keep it... The iPhone 6 will be out and you can just resale and buy the 6. I do it every year.

The 5c is not a bad device... Or do you buy into all the rumors and use your phone as a status symbol?

6. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Is apple even open on sundays? If you really want the 5s I would go the route you mentioned. Return the 5C and say that you want the 5s instead. If they don't have it in stock buy a cheap phone in the mean time.

Apple's website says 2-3 weeks shipping, but that was last friday so now it would be 1-2 weeks.

I ordered mine on the 8th and no dice yet.

7. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Just been to Apple in Birmingham, UK to get a 5S for my dad. They had them in stock.

8. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

You shouldn't have bought the 5c. You just made things harder on yourself with the extra hassle.

Also you only have 14 days to return the phone for the full subsidy to be returned.

9. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

In a week or so there will be plenty of stock as Apple have ramped up production of the 5s by 75% and they will already have plenty of phones in preparation for the second wave of release to other countries

10. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

Going from previous experience, it'll probably be late November/early December before you can walk in and expect there to be stock. At least that's how things have gone in my area. I'd imagine the larger cities will get preference before those of us in the boonies.

11. boobie12 macrumors 6502

This is horrible advice. If he'd rather have a 5s why should he stay with a 5c for a year? That's just dumb. And also I'm sure the 5s will have a much higher resale value then a 5c.

Op just get a basic phone until and keep looking for online pickup. Got mines On October 2nd like that.

12. macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

5s in stock in at Boca Raton Towne Center

At Radio Shack ask for Joel

13. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

First of all it wasn't really advice. Or I wasn't really trying to give advice. Secondly duh the 5s will have better resale value. That's common sense, but if I was the op I'd do whatever floats my boat. Not only that why does everyone on this forum that thinks they know every thing have to use words dumb, ignorant and stupid. There's more words to the English language.

OP, there probably won't be enough stock by the 20th, but you can just get a dumb phone until there is...

14. roxics thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys but it doesn't matter anymore. Apple has a 30 day return policy which I was still within, but I wasn't aware that AT&T only has a 14 day return policy when it comes to the upgrade discount. So I'm stuck with the 5C now. Wish I would have looked into this with a little more depth 16+ days ago.

Still, I'm not disappointed. Coming from the 4S the 5C is a pretty huge upgrade for me. People forget about all the things that were new on the 5 that no one is talking about this year with the 5C because they already take it for granted. So people are treating the 5C as if it's old news when really for someone coming from a 4 or 4S it's a significant upgrade. Bigger better screen, better mics, new earpods, lightning connector, dual band wifi, LTE, better camera, better front camera, faster CPU/GPU, bottom mounted headphone jack, etc.

I didn't get the 5S originally because it wasn't in stock and I did like the design of the 5C as well. So it's not a big deal to me. I'm happy to the have the 5C. Just figured that if I could get the 5S I might as well. But sometimes it's better not to have a choice. It forces you to be happy with what you have.

In a year I'll get the 6. For now I'm cool. So far this 5C has been wonderful and I've had no problems with it.

15. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

This is crap. The 5c isn't even as nice as my year old 5. + You waited a whole year to go from a 4s to a 5c, so you missed 1 yr of LTE, of 4" display for what? To get a phone that'll have lower resale value next year and is missing camera features.

16. roxics thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't wait a whole year I was on a contract and couldn't upgrade until last month.

17. rich32gb5s macrumors regular

I would wait for the 6s! I always go for the "fixed" model.