Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I just got off the phone with at&t and the guy kept telling me that i need to just preorder it because there is definitely NO stock at any stores this friday so dont bother going.

is this true?

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I highly doubt there won't be any stock at Apple stores. I bought the 3G and 3GS the day of the release at the store. Long lines but it was fun.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
There WILL be stock.As to how much and how many people will be in line is anyones guess. Can you imagine if they opened the doors and said,"sorry we don't have any."

Mengels7

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
At Apple at least there should be a ton of stock. There'll also be a ton of people. I'd show up reeeally early if you wanna guarantee one.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
If you could somehow figure out how many each store will have in stock, and how many people will show up, and how many already did a preorder and how many stores in your area will have supply and what type of phone each person wants, then you would have an answer.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Ugh, like how early should i be there?

I've never had to go to an actual store on release day, i've always preordered. But i missed out this year.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The bigger Apple stores usually don't run out for the entire weekend, but that's where you'll have to spend several hours in line.

I suggest waiting for Friday afternoon. From what I've seen in the past, the people that get there at midnight end up leaving around 10 AM (so, 10 hours of waiting time) whereas the people who come at 4 PM end up leaving by 8 PM. I've done it both ways and that's generally what I've seen each year.

I've done early morning and 'after work' and waiting for the afternoon is always more pleasant...assuming they don't run out of the phone you want. I have the luck of being near a large flagship store. I think that helps. If you're going to a big city store I suggest just going later.

It's a small risk that you won't get a phone, but you're likely to put in far fewer hours in line and in the past I've still had luck in the afternoon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.