Will there ever be a drastically different iPhone design?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RealMadrid15, Aug 2, 2012.

1. RealMadrid15 macrumors member

Do you think Apple will ever completely change the design of their iPhone.

The last two iPhones look the same and all of the rumors for the iPhone 5 suggest slight differences while overall keeping the same design.

IMO the current iPhone is the best looking phone on the market (much better looking than that awful cheap plastic piece of S*** known as the Galaxy S3).

I don't think they'll change it soon. Why change what's nearly perfect. And it's not like they have that many design options - there isn't that many ways you can make a touch screen phone look.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Quoted from someone else on macrumors "there is only so much you can do with a rectangle screen and a grid layout"

3. chambone, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

The front of 9 out of 10 smartphones in the foreseeable future will be a piece of glass with rounded corners. The back is the only thing that changes more or less drastically on most smartphones today. I don't see how the case on the leaked new iPhone pictures resembles the 4S case, except for the buttons. I'd like a pebble shape like the 3gs myself, but I understand why they stick with the squarish metal sides.

4. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

The first 3 iPhones looked more or less the same. The next 2 were identical (except for very minor changes to the antenna band). The rumors suggest a stretched design for the next phone. If the rumors are true and the leaks are accurate I don't think it looks all that much like a 4S. The front will look the same, but taller, but the back looks totally different as do the sides. Add to that a new port and a moved headphone jack and I do think the next iPhone looks pretty different from the current one. Do I like the design? No.

As others have said- glass front, mostly rectangular, maybe a button or two, that's pretty much it. That's how they've all looked the past few years, iPhones and other smartphones alike. Even when we look at science fiction the designs of their portable gadgets are more or less the same as that. Aside from changing the shape what major can really be done? And who wants a phone shaped like a circle, square, triangle, etc?

In my opinion the next major iPhone redesign will be the one that finally changes or eliminates the home button.

5. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Wait until I get my Crystal Ball up and working to answer all future Apple products and how they look

:apple:

Attached Files:

6. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Until they find a better way to structure the antenna, no.

7. animatedude macrumors 65816

i hated the design of the 3G/3GS, it looked very cheap to me but the iPhone 4/4S looks very cool.

However, i still think Apple didn't make the "Apple-Like" design for the iPhone yet, they need to do one with Aluminum back to make it look like it belongs to rest of the Apple family of iPads and Macs.

8. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

actually, i've seen renderings of the new iPhone that looks more different compared to previous iPhone models than the "leaked photos" of the new iPhone. I think the screen was way bigger, like 4.8 inches, and it looked REALLY nice, different, but still maintained the apple-ness. lol! :D much better than the supposed real iPhone that's coming out. Really wish something like that would come out.