Will there ever be a World War?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TSE, May 2, 2012.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

As a fifth grader when I first learned about the World Wars, I always wondered...

Do you guys believe there will be a World War in our lifetimes?

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yes

It's inevitable. World Wars are caused with two or more countries engage in a fight and their allies jump in escalating the issue.

4. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I think it is certainly easier to call wars nowadays "World Wars" because the world is so much more communicative and global, but I'm talking about to the escalation of either of the previous World Wars.

And also, would countries honor a "no nuke even though we have them" policy? What about a losing, desperate side?

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The precursor to World Wars is typically world wide down economies.

Germany pretty much had to get into WWII because their citizens were impoverished and it became easy to blame the Treaty of Versailles and the rest of Europe and Jews for their problems.

Luckily the economy seems to be slowly improving but it's often the culprit for aggression.

6. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

All is fair until the opponent kicks sand in your face...

The issue with 'honoring' a no nuke policy, or any other policy is it's only good if the one your fighting is honorable... I'd hate to say it but I don't think a lot of people are these days.

Family guy had a clip this last week about India and Pakistan going at it and it erupting that region and spreading, in my mind thats not too far off. With all the middle east/israel business, it could be sooner than later.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Probably not.

Economies are too interconnected these days, and that trend is accelerating. Human violence is also at an unprecedented low; we haven't had so few wars (and so many countries to boot) at any time in history.

What we will see for the foreseeable future is trade disputes that get resolved in the WTO. We've already seen that even stubborn superpowers like China and the US will abide by the WTO, even when they lose, which means that as more and more of our economy is dependent on trade, the greater the interest we have in obeying the WTO.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Probably. I'd bet it will be fought over water.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Energy is more like it. Water is still plentiful.

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

The OP said "...in our lifetimes."

I think it's inevitable one day, but in the next 60-70 years? I doubt it. We're really good at kicking the can down the road.

11. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Maybe if North Korea does something insane against South Corea or Japan.

Or Germany could invade Greece for not paying it's debts to the EU?

Who knows.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

We have alternatives to energy, there aren't any easy alternatives to water for land-locked countries.

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

In our lifetime? Are you asking the next 50 years? I'd say anything is possible. I don't think we'll ever have world peace, wars have been going on since the beginning of time.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that a world war, especially a nuclear war never happens.

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

[​IMG]

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

If there is, the wealthy will find a way of avoiding serving in it.

16. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I don't think there will be any more wars where large mechanized armies face off against each other on the battlefield. That kind of fighting is gone forever.

17. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Aww, not even robots?

18. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I really think that with todays advancements in military technology, no big country will ever consider going in a war with other big countries. It would be suicidal.

What I do see happening eventually is a small country, being ruled by a crazy person, which eventually gets in trouble attacking another small country. Which will end in a massive attack from big nations destroying that small country.

It seems the struggle could be between China-Russia-United States, but really, which of them would dare attack the other?

19. 184550 Guest

While I believe there will be another global conflict in our lifetime, I find it highly unlikely that it would occur for the same reason(s) as WWI and WWII.

I agree, as others have pointed out, that this conflict would most likely be caused scarcity of natural resources.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If we have a debt do-over, as was suggested here, you bet.

America plays a terrible hand of poker, and that would be their undoing.

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Looking back at history, I'm not so sure.

Given how stupid man can be, I say there's a good chance.:(

I'll be long dead by then.

22. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

When ever this subject is raised I come to think of Albert Einsteins famous quote;

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

The first time I heard it I laughed and thought it was strikingly thoughtful - but when I really thought about it I realized it's probably horribly true. And then it made me sad instead.

(I'm not sure if Einstein was first with this quote because Louis Mountbatten made a similar one but oh well.)

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Its possible. But two things to keep in mind:

1) It wouldn't be anything like the First or Second World Wars

and

2) It would be over very, very quickly.

You certainly won't ever see large-scale wars, fought between modern countries, that use conscript (ie. drafted) soldiers. These days it simply takes too long to train a soldier to be useful. Not because soldiers have gotten stupid - but because today's weapons, communications systems, etc. have become much more complicated.

Conventional wars are also unlikely to be protracted over months and years. There are a couple of reasons for this: Firstly, modern combat systems can deliver so much firepower so quickly (even using non-nuclear warheads) that they would very quickly utterly destroy their targets. Example: A single B2 Spirit bomber has a maximum bomb load of 50,000 lbs. Thats more than the bomb-carrying capacity of an entire squadron of WWII-era B-17s. And, of course, the B2 can deliver them immeasurably more accurately.

The other reason a major war between modern powers would be over quickly: It takes too long to replace damaged or destroyed equipment. We couldn't, for example, throw up a new factory to churn out B2 bombers the way we did B24s during WWII.

Its an interesting question, but another major war between modern countries would be a very bad thing indeed.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Russia's new threat

Apropos this topic, Russian General Nikolai Makarov is causing some alarm:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17937795

25. hafr macrumors 68030

How do you define a world war? It might be that we have had several during the last 60 odd years, just not taking place in Western Europe.