Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clovehitch

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
My Apple upgrade wishes run mostly to the smaller form factors:

- >27" iMac retina
- iPad Mini Air
- Totl iPhone 5x

There appears to be very little interest an iPad Mini Air, which will probably go the way of the iPhone 5x, correct?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There is no such thing as an iPad Mini Air. It's either an iPad Air or an iPad Mini.

tigerinexile

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
The iPad Mini 2 or 3 is already that.

The "Air" was the original iPad's screen size with a redesign so that the bezel was similar to that of the Mini.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
The iPad Mini 2 or 3 is already that.

The "Air" was the original iPad's screen size with a redesign so that the bezel was similar to that of the Mini.

This. The iPad Air is basically the entire design of the mini enlargered to the 9.7" screen size, not just the bezels.

clovehitch

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
For myself one of the main improvements that came in the iPad Air 2 was the bonded glass screen. The Mini is comparatively stilted in other ways including color gamut and overall display quality.

It doesn't have to be called an Air, but a Mini with an up to date processor, RAM, and screen would be lovely.

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
There's been a leak of the rear shell for the next iPad mini and it looks sleek like the Air 2. Hopefully they add the A8(X), improve the display quality and bond to the cover glass. That would be a good product.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
There's been a leak of the rear shell for the next iPad mini and it looks sleek like the Air 2. Hopefully they add the A8(X), improve the display quality and bond to the cover glass. That would be a good product.

I agree. However, I'm dreading that it might still have 1GB. The original Mini, despite all the rest of the devices back then moving to 1GB, still had 512MB. I'm not to sure about this one.
Maybe they will also add superior display technology. As well as bonding it to the glass, maybe they can also make a clear, power efficient display.

Last edited:

clovehitch

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
I agree. However, I'm dreading that it might still have 1GB. The original Mini, despite all the rest of the devices back then moving to 1GB, still had 512MB. I'm not to sure about this one.
Maybe they will also add superior display technology. As well as bonding it to the glass, maybe they can also make a clear, power efficient display.

Seriously Apple should give the Mini some respect--it shouldn't be just a lessor, cheaper model. I love the iPad Air 2, but it doesn't come close to the Mini in terms of a strictly handheld device. My thumb typing speed is nuts with the Mini, and I don't want a pad that sits on a table nor the bulking case that props it up.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
They wouldn't call it iPad mini Air. The iPad mini is the same depth as an iPad Air exactly. They just didn't slim the mini 3 down like they did the air 2. I was disappointed by the iPad Mini 3 news. It's an iPad Mini 2 with Touch ID for a hundred dollars more. Brilliant marketing by apple though. Have excess number of A7 chips that were paid for put them in the Mini 3 add touch ID charge a hundred more. It's brilliant. The A7 is still a very capable chip though. I would have liked to see the A8 and the 1 layer display of the Air 2 in the Mini 3. Maybe even make it slightly thinner but I wasn't complaining about the original Air or Mini's thinness.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Seriously Apple should give the Mini some respect--it shouldn't be just a lessor, cheaper model. I love the iPad Air 2, but it doesn't come close to the Mini in terms of a strictly handheld device. My thumb typing speed is nuts with the Mini, and I don't want a pad that sits on a table nor the bulking case that props it up.

I hate that the mini is considered an "entry" model, too. Why is it an entry model? It's simply a different family of devices. People who get the mini want the portability. Why are we being forced into inferior specs just because we want a more portable device? People who are paying $100 more for the larger iPad are paying more for the extra screen size, similar to the iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus. Yeah, there are a couple things that give the 6 Plus an edge, but overall, they have pretty much the same stuff. iPad should be the same. Split screen multitasking should not be a differentiating feature, though if it's added. That still could work perfectly fine on a 7.9 inch screen, I mean Samsung put that on a 5.7 inch screen and everyone praises it, so it obviously would be fine. Plus there's the same amount of pixels to work with on both iPads and same aspect ratio. They should put stereo speakers in the full size iPad, make the battery life longer than the mini, and maybe do one other thing to help justify the $100. But inferior specs and major features being stripped is simply not acceptable in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.