Will there really be a shortage on Friday?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MoJordan44, Sep 16, 2012.

1. MoJordan44 macrumors newbie

People are really camping out? Is this even necessary? I didn't preorder....

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

Not sure. It depends on a lot. No one knows how many Apple will have in stock. But lines may be longer than the 4S launch.

3. greezychicken macrumors member

Get one at RadioShack. That's where I got the 4S. They had plenty in stock on release weekend.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Of course it's not necessary. No one needs to buy and iPhone 5. But it's a product people want, and they're willing to wait in line for it. So, it'll likely happen.

5. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

They may not 100% run out but may run out of the model you want. Especially since they now have 9 versions of the phone (3 memory sizes * 3 carriers).

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Go where most people aren't.

Obviously cell carrier shops, Apple stores and Best Buy will be hit hardest.

7. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I find the Apple stores have the longest lines. People who have gotten there's in the past easily have usually gone to a carrier store, best buy, RadioShack, Walmart, etc.

8. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

If any run short it will be the GSM's aka AT&T versions

9. armyxrays macrumors member

My local Walmart had 2 iPhone 4s at launch. That's right 2.

Guess how many people were waiting for it?

Zero.

10. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Do the carrier stores carry 64GB models? Or is it usually just 16GB?

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

18, forgetting black and white!

Luckily there's only 6 here in the UK, makes the choice a lot easier :p

12. marcello696 macrumors regular

I pre-ordered this year but in the past I've gone to the Apple Store a couple of hours before they open, and I've always gotten the exact model of idevice I wanted.

I highly doubt Apple Stores will have shortages if you go first thing in the morning.

Going to a carrier store or 3rd party retailer, your mileage may vary

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

How is anyone supposed to know until the day comes? Depends on inventory and demand on that day. Depends on the specific location. Too many variables and no one can tell the future with certainty.

You don't recall what happened with the prior releases?

^ This if you want to improve your odds.

14. ObsidianBlade macrumors regular

I would like to know this as well as I'd like to pick up my first 64GB iPhone from AT&T on launch day.

15. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

I just called the Sprint store I'm gonna go to early Friday morning, the rep said they are supposed to get a few of each size in both colors. He said if I get there early I should have no problem getting the one I want(the 32gb black).

16. tjb117 macrumors newbie

That's how I got my 4.

For the 5, I went late afternoon on Friday, asked the lady about the pre-order procedure, and after listening it, I was like so how far down the list will I be? (Keep in mind, they started taking preorders that morning, so I thought they'd have a long list).

She was like, well, it's not too bad. You're the first one. Still doesn't guarantee anything I suppose, but as long as they get at least 1 in (and the employees don't hoard it), then I'll be all set. I was in and out in like 5 mins.

Normally, I avoid Walmart, but in this case, I knew it would be easiest to pre-order.

17. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

If you want one on opening day, you'll have to at least camp out overnight. If you expect to wander in when you feel like it on the first day, you will be wandering home without a phone.

18. shox2k2, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

shox2k2 macrumors 6502

Ignore what I said earlier. I was mistaken.

*Unless of course you buy a phone without a contract.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

To be fair, in the US there are actually only 2 variants for sale. The AT&T version (which is also sold in Canada), and the Sprint/Verizon version, which is the same inside as the global version except that the CDMA radio is activated. believe (but am not positively sure) it is technically possible for a store to change a "Verizon" model to a "Sprint" model and vice versa before it is entered into the carrier database at sale, but likely during a high volume launch date they'll be overwhelmed and just sell based on what has been allocated to each carrier.

20. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Not true. There are three different models with three different radios. Two will be sold in the US, the third for international. Even Sprint & Verizon phones may be configured differently even though they are the same model.