Will these accessories work with my 2010 MBP? (HDD caddy and Superdrive enclosure)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baral, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Baral macrumors member

After months of absorbing information on this forum, I just pulled the trigger on a 15" MBP today. :D

I plan on switching out the Superdrive bay for my stock HDD and putting an Intel x25-M in the HDD bay. Then I'd like to put the bare Superdrive in an enclosure for USB connectivity.

Would these two accessories work?

HDD caddy
    http://www.ayagroup.com/product.php?productid=17773&cat=0&page=1

Superdrive enclosure
    http://www.ayagroup.com/product.php?productid=17499&cat=0&page=1

As far as I can tell, they seem like they would work, but I'm new to this whole thing so I wanted some more assurance. :p

Also, does anyone have experience with Ayagroup? Are they reliable?

Thanks in advance.

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

3. Baral thread starter macrumors member

Well that makes me feel better about ordering from them.

Still need to know if those will be compatible with the 2010 MPB.

4. Baral thread starter macrumors member

Anyone? I'd like to order these today but am hesitant to before knowing for sure they will work.

5. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I know with 100% certainty thatTHIS caddy works in the 2010 MBP.

6. karohan macrumors 6502

I would like to know the answer as well because I was considering purchasing these accessories too.

7. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I bought both of those together to save on shipping for my upcoming 2010 UMBP. I assume it works because it was recommended in the super large thread as well as that link has a link itself to the MR discussion about optibay caddy's. So no worries I think. Expect it in the mail in a couple days.

8. cbdavis4 macrumors newbie

How did these products end up working?

Does anyone on this thread know if it's possible to install snow leopard or windows 7 onto a new ssd in the optibay with the install discs in a superdrive in one of these caddies? I've seen several posts warning about trying to install operating systems from usb superdrives, but how else can I get an OS onto an ssd in the optibay after I install it in my macbook?

9. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

what I did was just leave the superdrive in stock location. install the ssd into the normal slot. install OSX on it. After it's done, turn off, take out the ssd and superdrive. I personally left my ssd in the normal spot and then just put in the stock hdd in the caddy to the superdrive slot. but you can just put the ssd into the caddy afterward and put a HDD into the regular spot. I am unsure if you'll encounter any problems though with ssd in optibay. I read something about hibernation problems. Not sure if you can boot osx from optibay either.. but I have no issues myself with ssd in regular and hdd in superdrive slot.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=680228&page=37

read this thread for info..