Will they quietly update the 2.8 mbp's t9600 to p9700?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by earthdan, Jun 14, 2009.

1. earthdan macrumors member

Hi all,

I realize anything is conceivable in the apple world, but is it common practice for apple to quietly update their processors after such recent upgrades? (ie, have they done this before?) By "quietly", I mean no other major upgrades...

I am specifically wondering if they will replace the t9600 with the p9700 but any insight or speculation on their updating practices would be appreciated.

cheers,
    Dan

2. earthdan thread starter macrumors member

hate to bump my own thread (although I did wait a while) but does anybody have any speculation/insight at all?

I guess at least I didn't get anybody with replies like "no" or "use the search" etc. :)

suppose I've now opened this up for a witty remark or two...

cheers,
    Dan

3. MADMAXX macrumors member

The only difference I can see is the TDP rating, so am I right in saying besides consumption there is no difference in performance. If so what does it matter?

4. Magick macrumors member

Temperatures.

5. earthdan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply,

Personally, If I had the choise between the two, I would pick the one with the lower TDP (the p). Based on the TDP, I think it would run more efficiently and cooler. Also its a newer chip....I like new things :)...(i realize there is always something new).

Am I just exaggerating the difference between the TDP ratings? My inquires come from experience with my current laptop. It runs kinda hot/noisy due to fans trying to cool it down. Its a t2400 with 31 W TDP, but 65 nm.

I want to keep things cooler and quieter on my next laptop if I can...

cheers,
    Dan

6. MADMAXX macrumors member

Meh its a minor thing. I got a 2.8 shipping as we speak and I cant be arsed for just the TDP. As they are quoting over 7 hrs what does it matter anyway. Ill get a days work done. And Ill probably upgrade in 18 months (a trend I have noticed in my hardware - except my macpro's which are waaaaay longer) my lappys work for a living so they get properly used. The last edition of the MBP 15 didnt throw a hissy fit with its fan, where as my blackbook (2.2 santarosa) goes ******* at the mere sight of Aperture.

7. gytzsgb macrumors newbie

RE: Upgrading the P8800 to a P9700 on a SONY Vaio

Can the above ugrade be performed easily. I would like the 6MB L2 cache on the P9700. I understand the laptop itself is designed for the P9700 9ie heat sink etc.) but the 2.8GHz option was recently withdrawn. Can this be done at a later stage (after the warranty has expired) assuming I have purchased a P9700 and have it on hand. Or is the motherboard likely to be different altogether

gytzsgb

8. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Replacing soldered BGA chip is PITA (MBP).
    Vaio is another story. People replaced CPU in Vaio Z and it worked like a charm.

9. gytzsgb macrumors newbie

Maratus:
    Thank you for your reply. Where can I get a P9700 (new) and what is the approx. price ? Also what is actually involved in replacing the CPU ? (No soldering ?)
    gytzsgb

10. gytzsgb macrumors newbie

Maratus: Clarification

Clarification: Need to know what is involved to replace a P8800 with a P9700 on a Sony Vaio Z-890

gytzsgb