Carrier Will they throttle double data plans?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1981d, Oct 23, 2014.

1. 1981d macrumors 6502

Up until October 31 you can get some pretty awesome double data deals from the major carriers. I got my ATT plan bumped to 20GB, and lots of folks took advantage of the 30, 40, and up promotions. After these promotions end, we're supposed to be allowed to keep our new higher data limits forever. But this whole scenario sounds eerily familiar to what happened with the unlimited data plans. Do you think they will start to throttle the folks with high promotional data limits at some point in the future?

2. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

3. 617aircav Suspended

Your plan is not unlimited so how can they throttle you? They will just charge you.

4. 1981d, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

1981d thread starter macrumors 6502

That's true, but I don't think most people will get anywhere near their limits since the doubling is pretty hefty. And a lot of unlimited plans used less data than they are offering on the doubled plans now.

----------

I guess my point was that a lot of unlimited users were using way less than 20 or 30 gb, and we're getting throttled at 5 gb. Will the carriers, who used to be uptight about going over 5gb, now be happy to let us run up to 29 gb and not say a peep? Also, they used to charge way more for these plans. Now we're using more data for less money. Just seems like it could be ripe for the same restrictions that they put on the unlimited folks previously.

5. brent1977 macrumors regular

I can't imagine that they would. If they start throttling at 5Gb (for example), there wouldn't be much point in paying for any plan over 5Gb.

6. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

What do you mean? Like if you have 40GB they'll throttle you after 20GB? I don't see any market forces that would cause that to happen in the foreseeable future. And after 40, they'd just charge you more like they always have.

7. mantan macrumors 68000

This makes no sense. They charge for data use. They want to encourage people to use as much as they can so they can charge them for extra data or encourage them to buy bigger plans.

8. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

AT&T didn't pick 5GB because it was clogging their tubes, they just needed to get to tiered plans (to make more profit) and throttling at a "reasonable" number was their way to get there.

9. pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

You get to keep the double data forever unless you change your plan. As others replied, they want you to go over to charge you more. On unlimited plans they couldn't charge for going over, so they capped it.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, they will not throttle you on those plans.
    Just charge you if you go over.