Will things get better in this country after November 6?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ugahairydawgs, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

What a ridiculous article. "Many" Obama supporters have threaten to riot if he looses. Yeah, six tweets are "many". But the only tweets from the other side are about leaving the country if Obama wins. Fair and balanced.....

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

If only they made good on those threats in 2008...this election would be a lot smoother.

4. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I think things will get better somewhat if Obama wins, but either way not immediately. I've been saying this for a while, but no matter what the outcome of the election I just feel there will be some civil unrest.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

As long as the politics in the country continue to be decisive, the attitudes of the people will not change.

The country has never been as politically polarized as it is now. Never.

6. Huntn, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This may be your first post I agree with. :) I assume you would blame the Democrats. I of course primarily blame the GOP, although Democrats also get blame in my book. I don't like liars and politicians who won't compromise for the sake of the country, and while I'd never propose that a Democrat has never lied, the GOP has made lying an acceptable, the end justifies the means, strategy. The biggest GOP lie? We don't want "government", (they don't for regulation) except they want a strong government structure to enforce their morality.

As far as "will things get better?", maybe maybe not. Something has to change. If neither party gets their ass kicked in this election it will be more status quo and I see the current crop of GOP leadership, continuing to draw lines in the sand and happy with watching the ship sink, as long as they connive to place the blame on the Democrats... then it's ok if we drown.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Infowars?

[​IMG]

Not like that site has a good reputation. Don't worry about it.

As for whether things will get better, there are several scenarios:

• Romney wins, House goes R, Senate goes D -- nothing much changes, because the Senate goes for the block.
    • Romney wins, House goes R, Senate goes R -- we are in deep, deep doo-doo; the recovery will likely be wiped out.
    • Obama wins, House goes R, Senate goes D -- same as now: a continued slow economic improvement at best, because the House continues to go for the block.
    • Obama wins, House goes R, Senate goes R -- nothing much changes; only difference here is House and Senate are unified and Obama will go through a lot of veto pens.
    I do think that two years from now the electorate will either be so sick of the House's inactivity or (ulp!) a Romney presidency, that the House is liable to tip back to the Democrats.

[​IMG]

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

^slavery was a state's right! The big bad federal government should have kept their noses out of it. If it was really so bad then the white citizens of each individual state would have voted to repeal it eventually. :rolleyes:

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I like your hemispheres. :)

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the people who follow alex jones & infowars live in a world where new conspiracies can be found up their wazoo at a moments notice and on command.......exploiting fear is how Jones makes his money

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No because we still live in a world where people actually threaten to riot if someone doesn't win and the candidates are both terrible. When we're faced with voting for the lesser of two evils the entire country has already loss.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I feel like the Karl Rove driven campaigns of 2000 and 2004 were more devise times than now.

EDIT: To answer the OP's question, yes things will settle down a few months after the election (just like they have in previous elections).

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah, it's not like we've had brother against brother pointing guns at and killing one another in a civil war or anything like that before. :rolleyes:

The other side isn't even waiting for Obama to win if the campaign office shooting last night in Denver is any guide.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...fired-at-obama-campaign-office-in-denver?lite

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

So what would you suggest to address the polarization? Should we all become "conservatives" so the debates are less bitter and angry?

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I believe the word he was looking for is the antonym for decisive, divisive. ;)

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As long as conservatives believe that one-third to half of America are takers who lack personal responsibility, this schism won't close any time soon.

My question ... what would the "takers" have to give to be perceived as contributing citizens in the eyes of conservatives?

18. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Be white

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The majority of them are white. For example, almost 3/4 of the people living below the poverty line in the U.S. are white.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It especially won't be closing anytime soon when the Republican VP pick shouts out things like "November 6th we take our country back".

Our country? Does he not believe that it belongs to all? Does he believe that only Republicans are entitled to the White House? Does he think that Democrats in D.C. are a foreign occupation? I wish Biden had gone after him for this comment.

21. astrorider macrumors 6502

How original, a liberal parroting that conservatives are racist. Did you all get the same text on your Obamaphones with that talking point?

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Of course you know that there is no such thing.

23. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Number one- I am not a liberal. I am a moderate independent. We are talking about extreme conservatives. What you call liberal is what Ronald Reagan considered moderate. Being a non-partisan observer, I am free to acknowledge insanity wherever it may lie. This is called being realistic and I think everyone should try it. It's quite liberating.

Number two- I am well aware that 3/4 of the people living below the poverty line are white. That's my point. It's called the irony of the right.

Number 3- Ah, I am so glad you mentioned Obamaphones (I think you mean Reaganphones, by the way). That also has a racist undercurrent, obviously. We all know the video you're referring to. The whole "welfare" argument and "food stamp president" is racist, too. So, to sum it up, I am an independent who thinks a large chunk (majority maybe?) of today's conservative Republicans are racist.

(I'm white)

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

If Romeny wins, I hope all GOP supporters get sick so they can watch how quickly their insurance company drops them.

25. astrorider macrumors 6502

What is it about being "extremely conservative" necessarily causes a person to be racist? Why must the two be inextricably linked, according to you?

Then you go a step further and suggest that if you're a "conservative Republican" you're likely a racist.

At first I thought you were just being cutesy with the calling conservatives racist thing, hence my initial joke about getting the text from your Obamaphone. But it's clear you're sincere, so I'll just say that you're stereotyping, and your views likely come across as bigoted to conservatives.