Will this cable allow me to watch movies from my mac on TV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mjmar, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It will get you video, but no sound. And the picture will suck. Does your TV have DVI in?

3. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

It doesn't have a dvi in, but it does have a vga and audio in... I wish there was a more simple way though...

4. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

If you have VGA-in on your TV, get a Mini-DVI to VGA adaptor. Otherwise, the Mini-DVI to Video adaptor will work fine for viewing movies and photo slideshows on your TV (as long as you use an S-Video cable). I use the Video adaptor to connect my Mac Mini to my TV, and it is fine.

You will also need the appropriate audio cable to run from the headphone out on your Mac to the audio input on your TV.

5. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

6. mgclayton macrumors member

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Yes, that will let you output video via either S-Video or composite video to your TV.

However, if your TV has a VGA input I would suggest using that instead as you will get a better picture quality. Apple also makes a mini-DVI to VGA adapter for the iMacs that would allow you to do this.

As for sound, it isn't that hard, you just need one more cable. You can pick up 3.5mm to RCA audo cables/adapters for about $5 at RadioShack that will allow you to output the sound from your headphone jack to the RCA plugs on your TV. Done!

Possible other option for audio:
    If you have a newer MacBook that has optical audio out (it is hard to tell since optical out was combined with the headphone jack) AND you happen to have a high end TV with optical audio in (most have out but not in) then an optical audio connection would be a possible alternative. This would give you slightly better sound and the optical output allows for more than two audio chanels if you your source has that and you have the speaker system to output it. However, the cable is a little more expensive, harder to find and won't give you noticable improvement to sound if you are using solely your TVs interal speakers.

8. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Why does the picture suck? Looks good on my hdtv.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Because SD video on an HDTV doesn't look too good. It all depends on the TV I guess.

10. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm considering the mini dvi to vga option, but how can I get that to reach my tv from my MacBook?

11. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You will have to buy a VGA cable in addition to the adapter. VGA cables are very standard and can be found almost anywhere computers are sold.

12. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

monoprice.com

I would look here first, they have the cheapest prices on cables [that i am aware of].

13. mpshay macrumors 6502

I 2nd that. Great prices & service!

14. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Heres everything you need, assuming you want to hook it up to the VGA port on your TV.

mini-DVI to VGA cable for your macbook:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9320G/A

VGA cable w/audio cable to connect the macbook to the TV:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10201&cs_id=1020105&p_id=557&seq=1&format=2

So you plug the mini-DVI to VGA adapter into your macbook, plug the VGA cable into the mini-DVI to VGA adaper, and then plug the audio cable into your macbooks headphone jack and plug the other end into your TVs audio port!

15. Abbas786 macrumors newbie

Having Problem connecting my MacBook to HDTV

Hi there. I've got MacBook and Just bought a HDTV. Now I want to connect my MacBook to LCD but I won't show any image or connection on Tele. I bought Mini DVI adaptor from Apple Store and then HDMI to DVI from another Store. Conneted MINI DVI to HDMI to DVI Cable and HDMI part connected to TV. Result!!! Nothing happened. At the back of the HDTV, there are different types of connection but the place where PC is printed has only one VGA Connection but otherwise TV has 3 HDMI Connections. Just wondering whether tv will only accept VGA connection? in that case I will have to buy all the cables again with the adaptor. Do I need to do anything in MacBook to transfer everything to TV or it should do it automatically? I want to use HDMI to DVI connection. Can someone help me out Please? MY TV is Panasonic Viera Model TX-32LZD80. Thanks