Will this cost money?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jimmy Guphanti, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Jimmy Guphanti macrumors 6502

I took my phone out of the otterbox today to get a piece of lint that was bugging me out from underneath. In the process, the stock piece of plastic that comes on the phone when you buy it that I left on but cut to work for protection fell off. There is a small scuff on the aluminum. There is no way that I did it as the phone was placed in the otterbox with kid-gloves and has never left until now, and the plastic was never removed. I signed up on the express lane support to have it replaced and they are sending me a "box." They said it will not cost money online when I signed up for it, but could they hold my phone hostage and insist I pay when they get it? I know it's not a technical problem but thousands of people have this "scuffgate" problem out of the box.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do you have Apple Care +? If not, if you want a new phone you'll need to pay to get a replacement.

3. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

I know everyone's different, but it's a small scuff, on a device you use everyday. Why go through all that if it's really as small as you say? Seems like overkill to me. Plus, sometimes, the cases themselves can cause marks/defects in the device if dust/dirt etc get between them and the device. If you are going to have it in a case anyways, just enjoy the phone and don't worry about it.

4. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Eventually you'll have a scuff on the phone it's bound to happen! Forget about it and enjoy your iPhone !!

5. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Look at the bright side, OP: At least it didn't get scratched up by falling into a chest full of diamonds this time. ;)

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think if Apple starts releasing new iPhones twice a year as they are rumored to, the resale price might fall much faster. I'm not sure if that's what you had in mind with regard to the cosmetic damage, but something to consider.

7. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

qft

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Of course it's inconceivable that there was debris between the case and the phone that caused the "damage." I mean, it's not like lint or anything could have gotten in there. Oh wait...

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you're going to put it in an Otterbox, why would you care what it looks like outside of it?

10. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

If you keep it stuffed away in an otterbox why does a little scuff matter? And you clearly did do it how else would it get there? Chances are the case may of done it and if thats the case chances are it will happen again. You'll just have to wait and see if it costs anything. It should not

11. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

you want a replacement phone for a small scuff?

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

People want replacements because they can't figure out which color they like more out of two choices.

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Just because you have a case doesn't mean it can't get scratched or scuffed. The case itself can scratch the aluminum. You have a perfect working phone and you are taking the chance of getting a phone that could be worse and have more issues. Live with the scuff.

14. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

You post here a lot. I probably don't even see a quarter of what you post. Why is it that 49 out of the 50 that I DO see are sarcastic or condescending? Does your life suck that badly?

On topic: I'd leave it. Small marks add character and don't effect the functionality of the device. If you return it for a small cosmetic mark you run the risk of getting a phone in return that is actually defective (dead pixels, poor battery life, yellow tint, etc.).

My advice is put your case back on and forget it's there.

15. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I'm surprised this isn't with the rest of the OP threads yet... Wasteland

16. Johnnygogo macrumors member

Might have gotten a scratch from the trunk full of diamonds you dropped it in last week. This guy is too funny.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I would not worry about it OP.

18. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

Because if I pay for it it should be perfect, I just want to make sure they won't charge money once they get it and hold the phone hostage. The phone back part never came out of the plastic, the plastic is not scratched but the phone is.

19. abz1981 macrumors 65816

I see your trolling again. You have a different weird story every single day. Yeaterday you had the b/s story you made up: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1524862

Don't you ever have anything better to do?

20. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not, I'm dead serious, do you want a picture of it? That was also true, I have lots of Apple products.

21. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Yes photos please and please write your macrumors name next to the photos so we know it's really yours.

22. Jimmy Guphanti, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

Here you go

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Ok my bad. Guess I was wrong. Looks like this one is genuine but you can understand our suspicions.

24. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

That's ok ;)

25. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Have you tried talking to otterbox? If the case caused the scuff, they should be responsible.