Will this monitor work with rMBP and how?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BruceiD, Nov 2, 2012.

1. BruceiD macrumors member

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

According to this, that monitor uses a DVD-D input. Get this adaptor from Apple, and you will be good to go.

Plug the adaptor into a Thunderbird port and the other end into the DVD cable included with the monitor.

3. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

Will the resolution still look decent?
    Thank you btw

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It's got HDMI input. All you need is a simple, cheap HDMI cable, since the rMBP has HDMI output.

It will be 1920x1080, and it will look as good as the monitor gets.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Good catch. Thanks. I forgot the new Retina has HDMI.

----------

It will display at its native resolution, so yes... it should look fine. I am not familiar with that particular monitor though, so you might want to look around at some reviews.

It is not going to look as good as say a Thunderbolt Display from Apple, mainly because the Apple display and displays in the Apple's class use IPS panels.

6. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

Thank you guys!
    I'm on a budget and this monitor looked actually very decent in the store I'm going to pick one up and also an HDMI cable! Thank you guys :)

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Suggestion....get a monitor that does 2560x1400 instead of the much lower HDMI resolution of 1920x1080.

8. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

Oh well it's hard finding a monitor with that kind of resolution with the budget I've got (€300 max).
    Anyways I just noticed that the link I provided is wrong and the actual monitor I saw in the store was the: VS238N, which is the same but without HDMI input, which means that I'd have to get MiniDisplay to DVI-D (€99!!!) so I won't be doing that I guess..
    Can anyone recommend me a great monitor (max €300) that works nicely with rMBP :)?

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I can't recommend one, especially as I wouldn't know prices in your country, but most monitors these days support HDMI.

Is the Apple converter really 99 Euros when it's only $29???? In any event, you can buy a cable that's mini display port on one end and DVI on the other. Dell sells those for $23 here in Canada, and most computer stores would have one for a few dollars less.

10. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

You can find recommendations from PCMag, CNET, and others by Googling on

best monitor.....or.....best photography monitor

11. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I'd rather go with the Dell U2312HM for the following reason:
    You save the $30 for the adapter and only need a $10 DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable.

Ergo, you effectively pay $30 more but get an IPS panel. :) And if it still fits your bill, get the U2412HM, which is an inch larger but still <$300 with the cable included, and that should hold also true in Euros.

12. AdrianK macrumors 68020

13. waw74 macrumors 68030

it's a 1080 panel, single is fine.