Will this Rev.D of the pb g4 be the last rev?

msharp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
209
0
I mean, will this D revision of pb g4 be the last one as usual as other products?

there are a lot of rumors about dual core g4 processor, and there are still a lot problems in pb g5, so will there be a Rev.E of pb g4 in order to lengthen the pb g4's life on the market?
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
If you need a new PowerBook, this is the best time to buy. It will be months before there is another update.

Also, there are already some threads talking about what next for the PowerBook. The Forum Search function is your friend.
 
Comment

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
1,991
16
Penryn
Personally I think it will be the last revision but..... In all reality who knows. Despite my thoughts, I went ahead and ordered a 12" and it shipped yesterday. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Obviously I'm biased but there's no sense in waiting who knows how long for something you need right now.
 
Comment

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
587
0
NYC
msharp said:
I mean, will this D revision of pb g4 be the last one as usual as other products?

there are a lot of rumors about dual core g4 processor, and there are still a lot problems in pb g5, so will there be a Rev.E of pb g4 in order to lengthen the pb g4's life on the market?
Given that Apple has started a nasty habit of letting a year pass between product updates, I think it' a safe bet that you won't see a Rev E PB G4. I don't think the next G4 PowerBooks will qualify as a Rev of the existing line, nor do I think they're coming anytime soon. So yeah, you may get a first generation dual-core G4 PB (or some such), but I think this product line has just about run its course in its exisitng form.

Now go buy that PowerBook. :)

Bear said:
Also, there are already some threads talking about what next for the PowerBook. The Forum Search function is your friend.
Oh yeah, sorry.
 
Comment

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
7,923
0
Canberra, Australia
i think this is the last one. the next powerbook revision will have to be a big one. there's no way a pro-laptop line can stay the same for so long. my guess is something brand new by the end of this year. i can't be bothered waithing so i'm just going to order a 15'' with SD in the next few days.
 
Comment

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
max_altitude said:
i think this is the last one. the next powerbook revision will have to be a big one. there's no way a pro-laptop line can stay the same for so long. my guess is something brand new by the end of this year. i can't be bothered waithing so i'm just going to order a 15'' with SD in the next few days.
I suspect the formfactor won't change much. The big thing might be a dual core G4 from Freescale.

Oh, and you might want to bump the VRAM up to 128 megs since a lot of things seem to use vram for processing these days.
 
Comment

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
1,214
0
Switzerland
Will there be another G4-based PB? No one who isn't under an NDA can really answer that question.

Will there be Rev. E Albooks? When it's time to update Rev. Ds, Albooks (at least 12" and 17" PBs) will have reached or even exceeded the normal production cycle. The only possibility for a Rev. E (in October) I can see would be if PB G5s (or dual core G4s) were ready for an announcement at MWSF 06. Since PBs sold badly in the holiday quarter, Apple might want to update the PBs in autumn this time. I guess hardly anyone would buy a Rev. D PB in November unless they were in desperate need of one.
 
Comment

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
I love the current aluminum form factor. I can't imagine what sort of design change they could improve upon. I hope to see this form factor carry forward to the next revision be it to the G5 or dual core G4. I think we are due for another G4 revision in the next 6 months.
 
Comment

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
Zaty said:
Will there be another G4-based PB? No one who isn't under an NDA can really answer that question.

Will there be Rev. E Albooks? When it's time to update Rev. Ds, Albooks (at least 12" and 17" PBs) will have reached or even exceeded the normal production cycle. The only possibility for a Rev. E (in October) I can see would be if PB G5s (or dual core G4s) were ready for an announcement at MWSF 06. Since PBs sold badly in the holiday quarter, Apple might want to update the PBs in autumn this time. I guess hardly anyone would buy a Rev. D PB in November unless they were in desperate need of one.
It is safe to say that there will be no rev E PowerBook G4, since Apple released these PowerBooks in late Jan 2005 for one reason only if the G5 is ready to go mobile you will see something 3rd or 4th Q 2005. The worst case is this rev will be running long till MWSF 2006. :)

Apple is tooting the G5 all the best thing since slice bread and this is only a short coming due to IBM's difficulty. :)
 
Comment

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
699
1
zwida said:
Apple Expo in Paris, 20 - 24 September 2005.

Crap, that is so far away and I will already be starting my 2nd year of college by then............. I hope I can pull myself together and wait until they introduce the next revs of powerbooks. My ibook is starting to annoy me with its dead battery and broken ethernet port and all.

Do any of you think maybe WWDC?
 
Comment

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
1,214
0
Switzerland
maya said:
It is safe to say that there will be no rev E PowerBook G4, since Apple released these PowerBooks in late Jan 2005 for one reason only if the G5 is ready to go mobile you will see something 3rd or 4th Q 2005. The worst case is this rev will be running long till MWSF 2006. :)

Apple is tooting the G5 all the best thing since slice bread and this is only a short coming due to IBM's difficulty. :)

Right, but if the worst case scenario becomes reality, what notebooks will they sell to pro customers? PBs that are a year old and will be replaced soon? So, PBs sales would go to zero for some time. Secondly, even if Apple announced PB Gs at MWSF 06, they wouldn't ship until February or March. Above all, demand for PBs will be soaring once they get a G5. Which will increase wait time for early adopters. It would be the iMac disaster all over again. That's why I say we'll see an update in September/October. This update will either be Rev. E AlBooks or something new.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.