Will this save my unlimited plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Martyimac, May 17, 2012.

1. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

So lets say I go ahead and upgrade from my iPhone 4 to an Android phone that's LTE capable. Lets say the Droid Razr Maxx for the sake of the discussion. Seems to me that if I do this now, while I still have the unlimited data plan and before Verizon institutes their data sharing/no unlimited plans, then shouldn't I be able to keep my current unlimited data plan even though I am now on 4G LTE? I have two lines but only my phone is a smartphone requiring a data plan. The wife has zero interest in getting a smartphone.
    Is this a way to read Verizon's statement?

2. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I was talking to my fiance as she has unlimited right now and told her if she upgraded to an LTE phone now she could probably keep unlimited data.

That's how i read into it too.

3. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I'm in the same boat. I think you would keep the unlimited until the end of your contract (or until your next upgrade - I've read different things about when the "grandfathering" would end), at which point you would be forced into the tiered data share plan. But from what I understood, yes, you'd be "safe" for another 2 years minimum.

My main problem is that my upgrade isn't until October, so I'm not even sure how I'd be able to get in on this without purchasing a phone at the full unsubsidized cost.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing will I think.
    Once people try to update to the new iphones data plan they will be forced to switch. At least that's what Verizon said.
    Im sure they will close any loopholes too but a few people might be able to slip through the cracks.
    Have to wait and see.

5. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yes. Verizon allows sim swapping between any LTE Verizon certified devices. I currently have the microsim from my previous LTE galaxy nexus in the Verizon LTE iPad.

So u can get a LTE phone and upgrade to LTE data plan.

What u cannot do is switch back to a 3G iPhone with Verizon. This will void your sim.

And what you cannot do is use any subsidized upgrade even on your other family line.

Cause after that cut off date. If you want a subsidized iPhone LTE. U will have to buy it on the black market Craigslist/eBay and swap the LTE microsim into the LTE iPhone at that time.

So u lose your subsidy upgrade if you want to avoid tiered data family share.

So u cannot use another family line to upgrade and switch into your LTE iPhone.

6. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I am not eligible for upgrade until Nov. If I get an LTE Android now, I would have to pay full price. I would use this phone until the LTE iPhone comes out and then pay full price (again) for the iPhone and swap SIM cards.

When my contract expires in March 2013, will they still get rid of my unlimited data?

7. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Yes, make the switch now. If you have to get a used LTE phone on ebay or craigs list and activate it.

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

Verizon is counting on people not wanting to pay full price/Craigslist/eBay to kill their unlimited data by using a subsidized upgrade.

This is a classic maneuver. If someone is eligible for an upgrade for $199 LTE iPhone vs trying to pay $500 for used LTE iPhone on the black market that could have a bad esn with no recourse.

Verizon is counting on all 99% of customers to just eventually suck it up and use the upgrade and lose their unlimited data. And believe me they will use their subsidy upgrade. P

As for getting LTE phone. U can pick up a used LTE thunderbolt or droid charge for under $200 easy on Craigslist these days. Rememeber once u go LTE. U cannot downgrade back to the 3G iPhone or u end up where u just started with a 3G data plan instead of a LTE data plan.

Verizon's got their 3G iPhone customers cornered.

9. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I don't mind paying full price if I can retain unlimited data even after my contract is up.

10. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Now that is the important question. If you read the statement from yesterday, the CFO said they would only do the change on "upgrade" so I believe that you will be safe as long as you do not upgrade. However that is only my best guess.

11. LoloBond macrumors 6502

That's correct, once you upgrade to an LTE phone they will switch you, right now you can get double data which is a pretty good deal. I almost take over someone else contract to take advantage of the unlimited data but I was lucky when this was posted a few hours before we completed the transaction.

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

They keyword they mentioned people will go through their upgrade cycle.

Verizon knows majority of people will use subsidy upgrade. After all. Who wants to miss out on close to a $400 phone subsidy Verizon is giving u to upgrade when eligible

13. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

So if you have a family plan with numerous smarthphones (and/or MiFi's) and someone, anyone on that family plan upgrades their phone at the discounted rate will that trigger the shared data/tiered data plan?

I mean the shared/tiered data is based on having numerous devices that share a bucket of data and we all know that it won't be realistically competitive (Fran Shammo says it will make them more ARPU). So if one person upgrades then what.

14. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

It would be my guess that a change on any line on the account would activate the data share plan for the entire account.

15. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I was in a Verizon store yesterday talking to the manager about another issue and I brought this up, paying full price for phones to keep unlimited data forever. I told him you're going to close that loophole at some point aren't you? He just smiled and nodded yes.

I figure you'll get one crack at buying an unsubsidized phone and that will be it. Verizon will probably take that away pretty quickly.

16. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I really doubt VZW will stop you from buying phones at full price, ever. And IMO, managers (or other VZW store employees) wouldnt know much more than we do at this point.

17. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Looking at the big picture, sooner or later we will all have to pay more for data. No matter what the plans are called it's coming at some point.

One can get into acceptance, or live in denial. If you can't afford it then you have a decision to make. It's as simple as that. Being prepared, it will not be a surprise.

It's as simple as that.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I suspect that Verizon will allow all unlimited data contracts to ride it out until they expire. At that point, even if you didn't subsidize a phone EVER, you will have to pick a limited data option if you are using a smartphone.

19. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I didn't say that. Read the post again.

20. frank.deale macrumors regular

My wife upgraded yesterday in New York City from a 3G Palm Pre + to a 4G Droid 4. She was unlimited and they “grandfathered” her into the new contract notwithstanding what Verizon has been saying.

21. aneftp macrumors 68040

You realize Verizon said they would implement this policy of getting rid of unlimited data in the summer.

It is not summertime yet. Verizonnwill give a definitive date soon for ending unlimited data for those who choose to use the phone subsidy.

So of course they are still grandfathering unlimited data for now. Check back with you in 2-4 months when the new policy is in effect.

22. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

DeNile is a river in Egypt, you can not live in a river.... Sheesh

23. andross77 macrumors regular

this is exactly right. the ONLY WAY for a person to have unlimited data on the next iphone (which is presumed to have LTE) is if you switch to a 4g Android NOW and then buy the iphone outright in the Fall.

This is all for Verizon...not sure what the deal is with ATT.

If you just keep your iphone now and try to upgrade using your subsidy in the Fall you WILL lose unlimited on Verizon. They explained this very clearly on their second press release. they may change something later but as for now, this is the case...

24. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Wrong, it's all about the subsidy... If you buy a subsidized phone, bye bye unlimited.. So buy a LTE iPhone outright.. You'll be safe.

25. andross77 macrumors regular

ROFL, did you even read my post? i was RIGHT not wrong. You can only get a subsidized phone and not lose unlimited up until verizon changes over to the new shared data plans. Since it is rumored to happen this summer and the next iphone is rumored to come out in the fall, if you do nothing and try to upgrade to the iphone in the fall you will lose your unlimited.

Next time, REEEEEAAAADDD.