Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Hi there, my friend has just the same iMac as me a week ago (21.5" 2.9-3.6Ghz iMac with the Nvidia GeForce GT 750m) and she is looking to install Windows via Bootcamp to play games.

Now I have Windows 8.1 installed via Bootcamp on my iMac, but the price is rather steap at 85 pounds so I've found this copy of Windows 7 Pro on sale on EBay for 25 pounds (link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-M...783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c517fb74f).

So will this work via Bootcamp on an iMac bought just a few weeks ago? I'm guessing that it will be he saw, process as I had with Win 8.1?

And last of all, she doesn't have a SuperDrive, so is she able to download he ISO and just use the product key?

bazilizk

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2015
Moscow
Hmm... Will check it. I use Win7 + XP now, but 7 installed first. iMac 2014 27. Thanks for commentary, I need to prepare to upgrade 7-Win 10 and will try to install XP firstly.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
@bazilizk You maybe able to get XP installed but the Boot Camp software and the drivers do not exist. I would personally load Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 and then use virtualization software to run Windows XP.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Hmm... Will check it. I use Win7 + XP now, but 7 installed first. iMac 2014 27. Thanks for commentary, I need to prepare to upgrade 7-Win 10 and will try to install XP firstly.

You're probably using the Windows XP virtual machine that's included with Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate.

bazilizk

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2015
Moscow
Che
No. Different Intel Macs support different versions of Windows. A brand new iMac will not support Windows XP or 2000.
It was my mistake. BootCamp installer dont support WinXp. But I simple copied it from old iMac and sorry didn't see it. All working ok.
If you copy hdd image all ok. Better to use disk Shrink and New volume from windows disk management and restory through mac disk utility.

Last edited:

bazilizk

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2015
Moscow
XP
@bazilizk While it is perfectly possible to get Windows XP to boot on a brand new iMac, there will be no support software available from Apple.
I just have to use xp. Its not bad system. Wolfenstein and any games, some special soft. Apple only assemble computer parts.
Drivers are universal for Intel. Support from Apple include only installer.
P.s. sorry for my English :(

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
@bazilizk Even Intel has support for most hardware in the last two years. If you can get all of the drivers individually, then go ahead and use XP. I just doubt you will find every driver for your Mac.

bazilizk

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2015
Moscow
@bazilizk Even Intel has support for most hardware in the last two years. If you can get all of the drivers individually, then go ahead and use XP. I just doubt you will find every driver for your Mac.
I use freebsd, macos, win xp-10, centos every day in my job. Sorry, but I dont need this your advices. If you need advice how to make any - ask. If you want to discuss about markering - not with me, really ;)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I use freebsd, macos, win xp-10, centos every day in my job. Sorry, but I dont need this your advices. If you need advice how to make any - ask. If you want to discuss about markering - not with me, really ;)

The way your posts were coming across made it sound as if you were wondering whether XP could be used on a 2014 iMac. I stated that it could not due to the lack of support software and drivers. If you have it working then fantastic for you!

bazilizk

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2015
Moscow
Why fantastic? Shrink windows volume, copy previously installed system to new partion...
I tested fresh install and it not working becouse installer not supported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.