Will this work and should I do it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lthompson, Aug 22, 2012.

1. lthompson macrumors member

First off, here are the phones and upgrade eligibility:

Phone 1 Razor Mother in law Upgrade 4/17/13
    Phone 2 iPhone Wife 3GS Upgrade Now
    Phone 3 iPhone Mine 4S Upgrade 5/7/13 (Still unlimited data)
    Phone 4 iPhone Son (in college) 4 Upgrade Now

I was thinking of getting my wife and myself the iPhone 5. She is eligible now but I am not. I would use my son's upgrade and give him my 4S. If I understand correctly from everything I have read on this forum I should be able to get the phone and activate it via iTunes and my number would be associated with the 5 that I ordered using my sons number. Am I correct?

Also, if my son does well in college would we be able to use the MIL upgrade in April and do the same thing for him?

Or should I just say to heck with and call AT&T and see if they will grant me early upgrades since we have been with them for 19 years and spend around $235/month?

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

That is an amazingly complex question. Good luck in your quest.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

Why don't you wait and see if the iphone 5 or whatever it will be called is even worth upgrading for? Maybe it's just another redesigned iphone 4.

4. mateo124 macrumors regular

I've used another lines upgrade to upgrade my phone before. I just told them I wanted the new phone on my primary line and for that phone to be put on the second line. Should not be a problem

5. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

Yeah everything should work fine. We have 5 lines on our family account and I've used just about every line for an upgrade on my main line. It can get confusing but it can be done.
    As long as your committing another 2 years on the line that wants to be upgraded it doesn't matter where the new phone goes.

(Just upgrade the lines that are eligible, like normal, then when the phones arrive, put all your SIM cards in the phones you want them to be in. Then, say if one of the lines you upgraded forced a data plan on that line, call AT&T say you want the plan back to normal because its using a regular dumb phone or whatever which they WILL check or ask for the EMEI # and use the new phone like normal on the line you wish) Hope I helped ;)

Edit: just read your post again, this time slowly and realized I probably didn't answer your questions at all lol

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Yes, definitely upgrade your wife's and use your son's upgrade to get the iP5 for yourself. But what I would do is before you acquire both iP5's ( for you and your wife ) is switch the phone numbers between you and your son first, then go and pre-order, buy through Apple or ATT with your son's old phone in hand (with your number linked to it already) and upgrade.