will this work with wd my passport ultra on macbook pro retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bilal25, Jun 10, 2014.

1. bilal25 macrumors newbie

bilal25

2. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

I'd transfer the files to another drive or the internal drive of your macbook then reformat that external drive to exFAT and then transfer the files back to the external. That way it readable and writeable for both a Mac and Windows machine.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would be willing to bet they have that software locked down so it only works on Seagate drives. You will need to buy something like Paragon NTFS or use something cross platform compatible like ExFAT as SVTmaniac mentioned.

4. bilal25 thread starter macrumors newbie

bilal25

i came to know that i can only transfer 4gb on fat32. is it per file or is it the complete folder?
    and how much can i transfer on exfat?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That 4GB limit is per file in FAT32 not a total of 4GB. So you could transfer a metric buttload of 3.9GB files and be fine.

ExFAT gets around that 4GB per file limit.

The only issue with ExFAT and FAT32 both is they are not journaled, so it is more susceptible to data loss if there is a power outage or the drive is accidentally ejected in mid-copy.

6. bilal25 thread starter macrumors newbie

bilal25

can you help me with a few softwares that can read/write ntfs on the macbook

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

8. bilal25 thread starter macrumors newbie

bilal25

it shows a charge of $19.95. any other which is free?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I am not aware of any NTFS for OS X that is still free. There were a couple, but they have not been updated to work with newer versions of OS X.

10. bilal25 thread starter macrumors newbie

bilal25

i had used my external hard drive on a friends imac...it worked fine and the files were copying as well as reading on it. Does this only happen on a macbook pro?

11. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Are you sure the drive was formatted as NTFS? Maybe he had the Paragon drivers installed. If you need to move files between Windows and OS X then just format the drive with Fat32 or exFat. Make sure you have a backup since ANY portable drive can fail, get dropped, get stolen, etc.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm guessing that drive came out of the box formatted to FAT32 and that's why you can read/write in Windows and a Mac. It would be any Mac, not just a MacBook Pro. If you select the volume in Disk Utility on OS X you can see at the bottom what format it is in.

13. bilal25 thread starter macrumors newbie

bilal25

Thanks for the advice buddy..next time i do visit il definately have a check in disk utility.

14. bilal25 thread starter macrumors newbie

bilal25

hey guys i got my Rmbp and connected my hard drive..it said read only but it was still writing..any thing weird about this?

15. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Natively OS X will go into "Read-Only" on Snow Leopard and earlier, Lion to Mavericks it does support limited read/write but if the drive has Windows NTFS level permissions or some kind of corruption due to being unplugged without being "safely removed/unmounted"(Windows/OS X) sometimes it'll get stuck in "Read-Only" until a Windows PC runs Scan Disk.

You can install the NTFS driver from Seagate, it'll work on non-Seagate/Samsung/Maxtor drives but if you have an issue relating to the driver you'll have no support. I own a few Seagates but the only NTFS drives I share with Macs is a WD Passport(750GB) and a Seagate Backup Plus 2TB.

16. bilal25 thread starter macrumors newbie

bilal25

yea as you said there is limited read/write..thats coz i can't paste back into the external hdd.