Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dex22

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Round Rock, TX
With Apple's software: No.
With Roxio's software: Yes, sort of. Lightscribe won't work.

My personal advice is to buy whatever drive Apple is rebadging as a SuperDrive and buy a 5.25" external enclosure for it.

CNU182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2003
dex22 said:
With Apple's software: No.
With Roxio's software: Yes, sort of. Lightscribe won't work.

My personal advice is to buy whatever drive Apple is rebadging as a SuperDrive and buy a 5.25" external enclosure for it.
I don't know what redbadging is, but is this way more cost efficient?

meanpeoplesuck

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2006
Rebadging would be where Apple sells Drive XYZ under the name SuperDrive while another company sells Drive XYZ under a different name for much cheaper.

I think.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
"Rebadging" means Apple takes a drive (say for instance, one manufactured and sold by Sony), removes the front faceplate that says Sony on it, and puts it in their computers without a faceplate so you never know it's a Sony drive (unless you take the whole drive out and see a sticker on the case of the drive itself).

What he's trying to say is that you should find out what drive Apple is currently putting into the machines as a Superdrive (probably a Pioneer or Sony, I think they usually use one of either of those two brands) and buy the same exact drive itself. Then buy a 5.25 external enclosure with either USB or Firewire (or both) and put the drive in that case and you should be set, because the built in burning software in OSX will recognize the drive as a supported drive.

Here's a database to search for a supported drive.
http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

No, the cost isn't changed whatsoever, but I guarantee that you'll spend less money on an internal drive + external enclosure for it than you will for a factory put-together external drive.

dex22

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Round Rock, TX
Exactly.

I've always leaned towards the Pioneer drives and away from the Sony drives - no real reason apart from my consistent lack of complaint about Panasonic drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.