Will today’s young professionals accept their irrelevance in the future?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Seems to be a bit of an ageism problem in the Silicon Valley feeling everybody over the age of 40 should be put out to pasture professionally speaking. So will the purveyors of that attitude today quietly disappear into the shadows when they reach the age they are attempting to marginalize or will they attempt some kind of “respect your elders” renaissance?

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Nah. Most of their jobs will ship to India, China, and Taiwan.
    I am kinda glad to be out of the tech industry; I miss the paycheck, but not the direction.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I'm trying to get there as my work might die soon. But I'm not looking to work for someone , I'm hoping I can make it on my own. Programming is not easy :(

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Open a business which creates for companies, get some $2.00/hr people from India to do the programming work. That's what the world is headed anyways.

5. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Heh. What makes you think that discrimination against the 40-somethings, 50-somethings only happens in the tech industry? There are so many job sectors where this is commonplace.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

there are a million people trying that already, kids programming are the new competition, we are all looking to make the next flappy bird or candy crush :(

7. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I don’t doubt that but tech companies are getting a lot of press about it now and seem to have a heavier reliance on fresh ideas from young people. I highly doubt Peterbilt’s brain trust’s highest priority is building a tractor that will mainly appeal to today’s young farmers and yard sculptors.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Bring Lemmings back.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

All jobs are potentially under threat.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

sorry, nope.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Play it, get addicted, get inspired by it. Create the new one adding your new ideas, sell it on iOS/Android, become filthy rich, give me 5%.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

LMAO, there is a "Lemmings Rescue" already there. , I need to walk before I can fly.

15. Solomani, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016

Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

People with 'fresh new ideas' are the only future jobs for Americans. That's reality. How so? Because ALL physical jobs can eventually be replaced by automation and robots. Whether it's retail or the food industry or manufacturing, a robot can eventually replace you. And all other "technical" jobs (e.g. engineering, computing, science) can be replaced by low-paid Chinese, Indian, Korean, Vietnamese, whatever. They have gazillions of math-and-science techies over there. Tons of them. (Although many of them get their training in Silicon Valley, etc).

The only jobs those Asians cannot replace? (opinion here) YOU guessed it. American innovation, fresh new ideas, and NEW CONTENT, new intellectual property. Because that's the only thing that Americans are still undisputed masters in. We create things from our minds. New apps. New games. New ideas. New designs. New content. America excels in "fresh new ideas" because that's inherited from our open-minded free-thinking and progressive pluralistic democracy (in contrast to the rigid authoritarian regimes in those countries where free-thinkers are often jailed, silenced, or beaten to death).

And those countries? Oh yeah, they are incredibly awesome at stealing ideas and borrowing our intellectual property. But they lag at creating new ideas/content (i.e. fresh new ideas) on their own.

16. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

Used to play this, Oregon trail, and number muncher on the Macintosh classics in 1st and 2nd grade. Lemmings was super popular, but alas still my number 2. Nothing beat number muncher. Kid pix was super fun also.

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Oregon Trail is now available as an amazing board game.

18. twietee, Sep 9, 2016

twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Interesting thread! I loved to play that Gorilla game where you had two gorillas on top of a skyline throwing exploding bananas at each other. Back on topic: that might be an interesting debating format.

edit: oops, missed that this thread wasn't presidential campaign related..d'uh.

19. 5684697 Suspended

That's actually a pretty interesting observation. Speaks volumes about some of the swaggering attitudes you see out there pouring off of the clueless who think they have all of the answers.

20. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I'd argue there is already an oversaturation of these great ideas that actually aren't that great or original and no end user is spending money on them and nobody is expecting them to. I look forward to doing the backstroke in the predictable blood bath collapse of this iteration of the tech industry.

21. thermodynamic, Sep 9, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Ah, hypocrisy and double standards. It all starts with television where old 50-somethings say how anyone over 40 can't be seen as being good at anything anymore, not even being fathers...

It's not the **** entertainment that's of concern as it is people believing what the media puts out and emulating than instead of more civilized behavior.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2016 ---
    Never look forward to the demise of others. Remember that old speech?

Guess who wrote it, and why, and out of curiosity who said history is just a pointless degree, since people who don't remember it can't possibly repeat it? ;)
    Yeah but will they spend their $2.00 on you to keep your business running?

Stop being leeches and become a symbiosis. Our tax dollars don't need to be used to bail you anti-American leeches out yet again. And definitely don't bitch when they hack your systems as you act all surprised despite giving them tons of source code and how to work with it. :facepalm:
    Not really. The OP and other supporters are basically saying America is dead, killed by stabbing itself in the back. Another reason for young professions/anyone who went back to college to be given a full refund, since all they did was waste their time at the behest of corporate and political leaders claiming we need more skilled people.

But who can blame the OP, lack of critical thinking skills and lack of empathy created today's hell hole they seem to want and to want to worsen. Why should anyone complain, why don't we all hope their situations get worse and see who they try to blame next, since their mirror is obviously out of the question.

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I guess that you didn't get that my post was out of frustration because everyone does it like that. I thought that my last sentence was clear.

23. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Also, what young professionals? All them millennials are lazy and expect VP salaries as everyone keeps telling us, so all of a sudden they're now professionals? Pendulum swings like a pendulum do...
    I sincerely apologize for my misunderstanding. For a Friday it's been stressful even before checking out the forums...

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

No problem ;) I'll drink a beer in honor of your sanity.

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There's also a zombie version. It's called Organ Trail.