Will today be the day NFC takes off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Sep 10, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

With Apple seemingly going to add it will the tech now become more widely adopted?

2. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

It does not look good for the 5S having NFC. Not many rumors to back that up.

I think Apple is waiting on the technology to "mature" a bit more and will maybe give it to us on the iPhone 6

3. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Apple wont use NFC, they will use something Proprietary that no one else will use,

Much like Apples Thunderbolt solution, which is utterly incompatible with Thunderbolt outside the Mac eco system

(my iMac cannot be seen by my Thunderbolt PC or laptop, either as a Display, or a drive in target disc mode, my mac mini however can use it in either)

I suspect apples will release some form of NFC, but it will only work Apple-Apple or Apple- Apple Approved Device.

4. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

5. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

It seems like you may be right. If Apple implements this FP scanner w/o NFC, then I can def see them adding a payment system around this technology w/o the need for NFC. Time will tell T minus 5 hours, 45 mins....

Edit: They already showed off "NFC like capabilities" with setting up the Apple TV with an iPhone. Very excited to see what's in the pipeline.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

could not agree more. It seems like apple passed up on NFC, and it has not hurt them. They will use their own tech.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

When devices supporting it become mainstream, and I'm not talking about just phones.

8. Gymgenius Suspended

Didn't they recently acquire a company with expertise in 'indoor' location finding?

9. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

not sure about that, but "location" works better than NFC in my experience. I'll give you the perfect example. I have NFC tags to use with my android phone and the phillips hue lights....they work decent but are still a pain. The geocentric location in the official IOS app works better than anything.

10. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

There are hundreds of companies that are all trying to be the main player in the electronic payment thing. PayPal's latest update for iOS shows how they have matured and getting better and better.

I would rather Apple stay out of it and let the apps from the banks do their thing.

11. Curun, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Not a chance. Apple is not doing NFC. Did you see how they mocked it at the WWDC keynote.

They are doing BT4.0LE. You are already starting to see it pop up in gadgets from Automatic.com to StickNFind devices.

It's now supported back three generations to the 2011 iPhone 4S. In the starting later today $0 on contract iPhone. This means huge user base, this is desirable for store owners. Who wont buy into something so few can use.

IBeacon API was noted at WWDC keynote. iBeacon slides can be found on Google image search.

Consider this announcement from PayPal.
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/09/paypal-beacon-hands-free-payments/

All the big names on board ;-)

12. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Yep me too - that kind of thing is very exciting. Today's keynote is going to be amazing and full of delight for those of us who love pushing the boundaries of technology. And for Samsung fans, it's a hands-on demonstration of what will be in the S5 next year. :p

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think that there will be NFC on the iPhone announced today.

14. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Even if there was NFC... it wouldn't be any big deal at all...

15. cynics macrumors G3

I think a lot of people underestimate how big NFC is even here in the states, or at least a type of NFC.

McDonalds
    7-11
    Home Depot
    Lowes
    CVS
    wawa
    Foot Locker
    Walgreens
    Best Buy
    Plenty of gas stations

Those are just a few off the top of my head, there are probably 3-4x that many.

Soda Machine at my local mall (small mall too).

[​IMG]

Then you have NFC tags that some people might find useful for activating and deactivating certain functions when you are at work, school, home, car, night stand, etc....

I feel since we don't really have access too it we don't look for it and therefore feel its not as wide spread it is.

Btw I've posted this plenty of times and it goes overlooked or ignored. I guess people prefer to only read what they want to read. :)

I also do not think we will see this in the next iPhone so don't mistake what I'm saying.

16. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Maybe the metal ring around the home button is an NFC transmitter!

17. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

i use an NFC tag to log on to my PC at both home and work, no more forgotten passwords, i just spend half my time trying to remember where i left my keys :D

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Thank god.

19. Kurfer macrumors regular

Kurfer

Newsflash bro the NFC has been "taking off" for a while now with the emergence of the NFC West as a dominant division with the introduction of Seattle's defense and having by far the most "complete team" like the 49ers. It's hard to say that the NFC has not taken off in fact other than the ravens fluke Super Bowl win I believe the NFC is a far more dominant division than the AFC so your statement is completely unjustified and I'm honestly not quite sure where you're even going with this.

20. cynics macrumors G3

+1

This! Lol