Will Trump amend the Constitution? Is this the last-best chance for the GOP?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 1458279, Nov 12, 2016.

1. 1458279 Suspended

The GOP has more control now than at any time since 1922. The Dems just lost every bit of power they had in Washington and across the entire nation.

All the Dem power now rests in just 5 states. So with the Dems controlling some 10% of the nation, is it time to start amending the US Constitution?

We could wait for the 2018 mid-terms, where even more Dems are going to have to defend themselves and the GOP is very, very likely to gain a veto-proof super majority.

If the GOP gets just 2 more governors, they will have everything they need without any help from the Dems. Given that the US Senate is in control of the GOP and will remain in control, the House is in control of the GOP, the only thing left is 2 governors.

They could push ALL their efforts into winning 2 governorships and then they can do anything they want to the US Constitution. They could get 7-2 control over the US Supreme Court.

So, the question is, should President Trump start amending the US Constitution now, or wait? How many amendments do you think President Trump should do?
    Which one do you think President Trump will do first? Will it have to do with guns? Will it have to do with voting? Will it have to do with immigration? Will it have to do with term limits?

You know they are working on this as we speak. It took nearly 1/2 the US History to get this much political power. There may NEVER be another chance to amend the US Constitution and Trump could end up doing it without any support from the Dems. He has enough time and power to add whatever he wants.

I think it'll be term limits and gun rights. Heck, he may bring the Fed Res to an end.

TrumpPres.jpeg

Thank You President Obama, we couldn't have done this without you.

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

What about term limits? What about gun rights? Are you saying he will put term limits in place, or remove term limits? Are you saying he will strengthen gun rights or limit or remove gun rights?

Your writing is very unclear and frustrating to read. You aren't getting your points across in a succinct manner.

3. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Someone needs to call a convention of states.

I would love to see a balanced budget amendment.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It has been called last year by Greg Abbott.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 12, 2016 ---
    This is wrong. You can't and should not look at governors or where the GOP won the presidential elections. You have to look at the legislatures, and their weight. It's more complex than what you make it look like to.

5. APlotdevice, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Oh yes, Trump supporters just love Democracy soooooooooooooooooo much that you're going to cement your beliefs into the founding document to shut out people that disagree with you.

While you're at it, how about you repeal that pesky 19th Amendment? Women tend to be more liberal than men afterall. Oh, and while you're at that get rid of the 15th as well. Having only White men vote will ensure Republican dominance!

6. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

Somehow add something that is VERY clear that 2nd needs to be read as Justice Scalia did. Make it so clear that no SC in the future could ever change it. The only thing that could change it would be another amendment. The issue of banning certain types is another issue, I don't know exactly how to address that as well as ammo. There's the issue of "no fly, no buy" bypassing due process.

Term limits, we have that for the pres, how about Senate and House? CA did something IIRC, but the way it was done, you just jump from job to job and work your way around things.

There's also the Pay for Play that the Clintons were doing, this was a clear loophole that needs to be addressed.

The general idea is that the vision of Trump and what is common in other parts (House, Senate, Govs, etc...) could be made a part of the US constitution and that would change the direction of the nation for a long, long time. Maybe change the direction forever. Trump could end discussion over issues like Birther Babies and things like that.

Heck, we could rewrite the whole dam thing... We really owe Obama a HUUUUGE thanks for this much power. DAMMMM, if Obama didn't do what he did, the GOP would have NEVER had THIS much power.

Thank You Obama !! You've helped the GOP in ways NOBODY thought would EVER happen.

We should make President Obama an honorary member of the GOP, he's done so much for us.

7. kobalap macrumors 6502

They could cement things around the first amendment and embed christianity into the constitution.

They could ensure that LGBT equality is never permitted.

I think if they even wanted to re-do a lot of civil and voting rights, now is the time to do it. If they get it done, it could be pretty much permanent.

And it would not be Obama's fault and it would not be the Republicans fault. These are the pillars Republicans have been running on for decades. Its the Democrats' fault. The ones in Michigan and Ohio and Pennsylvania and Florida. The ones who thought staying home was a good idea.

8. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

I'd love to see or hear exactly how that would work? Let's say that we had that in place now, what difference would it make, how would you enforce it? If it's just words on paper, what's to stop them from ignoring it?

Look at the debt ceiling game. IDK how we would ever enforce that. We could make it so the congress doesn't get paid, loses everything they own and gets thrown in jail or something, that'd be a start :D

No, really, how do you enforce that?

9. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It's still unclear wether or not you think there should be term limits for congress. I think there should be.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Forget term limits. Just ban gerrymandering. When the voters can choose their politicians instead of the politicians choosing their voters we won't need term limits.

11. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

Ok, but from what I understand, all but 5 states have GOP control, or is it that Dems only have full control over 5 states.

The GOP gained 900 elected seats nation wide in 2010. They gained 700 elected seats nation wide in 2014. They just gained 3 more Govs and every single branch of the Federal government. Harry Reid used the Nuke Option against the GOP when he had the Senate, all the GOP has to do is exactly the same as Harry Reid did.

I'm not sure of the numbers, right now it's about 70% of the Govs and with 2 more we won't need ANY Dem support. The state leg has to be mostly GOP because of all the elected seats. 1,800 elected seats has to be a LOT of control.

I've heard Greg Abbott and other were VERY close a few years ago. They had some old school big names from the past and military support. Given that we now have even more power, I can't see what would stop us now.
    I'm for some kind of complete term limits. I understand that some of the ones written mean that people just jump from one type of job to another. There needs to be a compete term limit. In other words, you can't jump from House to Senate as your term expires. There has to be a way to get people out so we don't have these log jams of power.

I don't know exactly how to do that, but something needs to be done. IMO we need to reduce the power that any one branch / group can have.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm sure the Democratic Party controls more than 25% of the states...
    Amendments need 67% in the house and senate. And the Democratic Party has 48% in the senate.

13. 1458279, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2016

1458279 thread starter Suspended

Actually you have it all wrong. We HATE democracy. We've always hated democracy and always will, we'll shed blood to fight against democracy. We want a Republic. That's what the United States of America is, a Republic.

So, off to point two: cement your beliefs into the founding document. YES, that's EXACTLY why it has a processes built into it to do just that. That's the way America works. Your party got everything you wanted back in 2008, you have now lost everything because the American people voted you out of everything. It took us 8 years, 8 long years, but we did it.

We started with the House, then the Senate, the Supreme Court hung in the balance, we won the White House AND held onto the Senate and the House. That in turn gives us complete control over the US Supreme Court. In addition, we control some 70% of the Govs across the nation, which now gives us control over the US Constitution.

Do you not understand how it works? We now get to rewrite the US Constitution any way we want. We can add/edit/delete just like Hillary did with her emails... except this time it'll be perfectly legal.

The founding document was designed for Obama and Hillary. Our founders knew there would be an Obama and Hillary. History has always had an Obama and Hillary, so now, we get to make sure that there will never, ever be an Obama and Hillary ever again. That's the way it works.

Once again, I'd like to thank all the Dems for all the power they've give to the GOP. Without you blindly following your 'leaders' off a cliff, we wouldn't have ever gained this much power. We look forward to you giving us even more power in the future as you pick even more extreme people to follow off the cliff.

You know, you're really make this easy... it's like candy from a baby... it's almost (<-keyword) not fun any more. ... tell me honestly... are you guys even trying to win?
    That's so cool that you brought that up. I'll give you 3 guesses who actually did that.

Ok, go.. you get 3 guesses...

<waiting... waiting...>
    BZZZZZ ok, time is up

Bill and Hillary Clinton! That's right folks, it was Bill and Hillary Clinton that _ACTUALLY_ did that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_Marriage_Act
    Dems control 5 states. That's 10%.

I think the 67% Senate is another path, isn't it 2/3rds of the states? We've got MUCH more than 2/3rds of the states. Two more and we don't even need to bother asking the Dems, we just do it.

I bet Abbott is busy right now drawing up the paper work.

I'm pushing for the 10th amend to be completely reworked so that the Feds NO power at all unless it's directly written and then approved by 2/3 of the states.

14. Eraserhead, Nov 12, 2016

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think you understand how constitutional amendments work. You need 2/3 in the House, 2/3 in the senate AND 3/4 in the states legislatures.

15. kobalap, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016

kobalap macrumors 6502

Donald Trump also used to be a democrat. I think the lesson is, some people change their positions over time.

The current platform for the democrats is to advocate for LGBT rights. The current platform for the republicans is to advocate to protect the sanctity of marriage (another way to say that marriage is not for gays). I don't think there is any controversy there.

My only point is that given Republicans control every branch of the federal government, the path is clear to cement any of these things.

Makes no difference to me. If liberals can't be bothered to get out and vote for the things they believe in, well, tough shiite.

And as for Log Cabin Republicans... man, if there is ever a group of people who will get what they deserve, it is these people.

16. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

So, we're pretty much there. Convince a few Dems and we'll have everything we need. We need to get busy writing all the new amendments we're going to pass.

Maybe this is the best time to go ahead and break up the US. I'm thinking we break it up into 2 to 5 nations. Take all the Red areas and make them one nation.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why would the Democratic Party agree?

I think breaking off the red areas would be brilliant. Then they could become a basket case all on their own.

18. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

I really don't think the Republicans give a dam. I know I don't. I'm more concerned about freedom and liberty. I'm more concerned with getting a divorce from the globalist that are obsessed with control the lives of others.

Maybe this election is enough to get the Dems to sign the divorce papers.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So you're anti globalisation and anti trade?

20. kobalap macrumors 6502

Republicans as a whole might not give a dam but pray the gay away politicians are all over federal government right now.
    Are you kidding? When you control every single bit of government, it is the perfect time to put controls in to keep things that way.

Term limits, laws against gerrymandering... those are things you ask for when the other side is in charge.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

And yet another Conservative wet dream reveals itself... :D

22. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Ditto.

Also:

Term Limits on number of terms and total years of service in both houses. Max of 24 years total service in any combined political position in the House and Senate.

Love Trumps conceptual policy of blocking politicians from becoming lobbyists. This should curtail a significant amount of corruption.

Redefinition of "citizen" in terms of natural birth. One parent must be a citizen.

Electoral College fix by apportioning electors to congressional districts and to get that elector, you need to win that district. I've discussed how to deal with the Senatorial electors in terms of how many said candidate gets.

I'd even entertain the concept of one Presidential term. At year two, the public conducts a vote of confidence/no confidence also using the electoral college. If The President receives a vote of confidence, then the term ends at year six. If it is a vote of no confidence, then the term ends at year four and a primary season can begin for an election before year four. This should eliminate endless campaigning by the President.

23. kobalap macrumors 6502

Eh, I would rather see a balanced budget amendment when democrats are in power. Republicans need latitude. Frequently, Republicans needs to fund defense projects and wars. Those kinds of things should not be limited by arbitrary laws.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

When was the last time that accomplished anything arguably positive?

25. 1458279, Nov 12, 2016

1458279 thread starter Suspended

We don't need the Democratic Party to agree. The Dems have NO power left in ANY branch of the government. In fact, it looks like the Dems only have power in 5 states.

The Dems are pretty much reduced to a side note at this point. 5 states would be some 10% of the states and ZERO of the federal branches, not to mention the Supreme Court.

So all we need is a handful of converts. We could just choke off the supply of money, jobs, or various other projects. Heck we could be like the Dems and just sick the IRS on them. We could just redraw the map so they don't have any voters at all.

How about building homes and jobs in other people districts so that they lose all their voters.

How about voter id laws and making sure the millions of dead voters stop voting?

How many of Hillary's voters are actually alive? How many are actually US citizens?

Draining the swamp should fix a lot of these problems.
    This would be news to you?