Will Trump be seen as Bill Clinton in 15 years?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I know, weird comparison. But let's look at it.

Back in the 90's the right hated Bill Clinton. Scandals were in the news every day and like Trump, he had a rough first 6 month or so getting all the Gen X'ers integrated into the White House. So for 8 years, he was despised by the right.

Forward to 5 years after he left office, many on the right reluctantly admit that times were good when he was President and that he actually did a good job.

Will The left see Trump the same way 5-7 years after he leaves office?* Or are things too partisan now so no matter what he does it won't matter?

This of course assumes he strengthens the economy and doesn't get us into any major wars etc.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Uh, I don't think so. Bill Clinton is well like and presided as President during a good time for the economy. In comparison, Trump is like the outbreak of the zombie apocalypse that first took over the White House before spreading it's malaise nation and worldwide. ;)

3. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

There are several significant differences between Bill Clinton and Donald Trump. First, Clinton was a career politician, with significant executive experience; he understood well the job of the presidency before he landed it. Second, Clinton had the ability (when he chose to use it) to discuss issues with and even charm people who were opposed to his positions. (This was the "I feel your pain" presidency, after all.)

Most importantly, though, Clinton was the champion of "triangulation". He explicitly ran on supporting policies that lay somewhere between left and right ideologies, sometimes angering both sides, but often allowing significant work to get done by bringing support from both sides.

And this is why Clinton actually did do a good job as president. Because, as I often say, the Left is wrong, and the Right is wrong. Policies supported only by the Left or only by the Right are doomed to failure, because both sides are stupidly ideological. It is only when you drag yourself out of the fantasy realms of both sides and take a good hard look at the real world that successful policies can be fashioned.

If there is anything to be said about Trump, it is that he lives entirely inside his own little fantasy bubble. He can't stand criticism, so whenever he does do something that flops, he worms around it, saying that it either wasn't his fault or that the people talking about it (the MSM, these days) are wrong. So long as he continues in this vein, he will never be seen as a president as good as Clinton.

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

They're both draft dodging disgraces to their generation and should be embarrassments to their parents and children. Neither can keep their bits out of women who are not their wives. Neither have any moral foundation other than what is good for them. Yup I'd say they're close to the same, a national embarrassment.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As long as Trump keeps his dick out of the interns he should not be seen as Bill Clinton in 15 years.

6. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

It has nothing to do with partisanship, the man is a harmful idiot through and through. And those are some mighty big assumptions considering his actions to date.

No, history will not look kindly upon donald. And for good reason.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What do you think the chances are of trump abstaining during the periods where Melania is in New York?

Trump doesn't strike me as the kind of person to tamp down his vices.

I have little doubt that he is finding ways to accommodate his sexual appetite while Melania is away.

8. unlinked macrumors 6502a

The real question is how the left will react when Melania is running to be the first female president in 2032.
    She is pretty much the same age Hillary was when she became first lady.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No, not the same. First, because Trump is an incompetent buffoon who can't even meet his own deadlines. But also because of the corruption that is unique to Trump. Don't forget prior to taking office this was the guy that ran a fraudulent university and used charity money to pay his legal bills and have paintings of himself bought.

Additionally, unlike Bill who was hatred by the opposing party, Trump is hated by many people on both left AND right. And he just isn't doing anything to turn that around. Additionally he is embarrassing us on the world stage too. When you sit there and ignore the German Chancellor talking to you about shaking hands in front of the press, that's just embarrassing. When you send out tweets in the early morning hours or do things that criticize our allies or reflect a lack of knowledge on world matters, it's just embarrassing. Even on domestic matters he is just embarrassing. Who knew healthcare could be so complicated? Oh....only everyone. :rolleyes:

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Hm. Not a pretty thought.

Indeed, the wonderful quote from George R R Martin - who described Mr Trump as "President Pussygrabber" - comes to mind.

Now, as it happens, I have actually met Bill Clinton, - a few years after he had left office - and he is an attractive and outrageously charismatic individual, neither of which could be said about Mr Trump.

Melania has no qualifications whatsoever for the position of POTUS; indeed, it could be said that she is not even "learning on the job" as First Lady, and, unlike her step-daughter and step-son-in-law, she has no input - at all - into policy.

At least Hillary Clinton was an accomplished lawyer, and became an exceptionally experienced - and qualified - individual with an impressive political career in her own right.

Anyway, to answer the question asked by the OP: No, he won't. Bill Clinton was far brighter, more intelligent, informed, and far more able, and accomplished than Mr Trump ever will be.

11. SusanK macrumors 68000

Mrs. Trump is not able to run for POTUS.

12. Scepticalscribe, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Indeed, you are absolutely right. Well said and elegantly pointed out.

She fails on the birth qualification.

13. jdclifford macrumors 6502

I'm sure she doesn't care. Besides the guy is 70 yrs old!

14. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I just wonder if he will be invited to the annual secret former president luncheon where they give each other a good ribbing about how they f'd up the country. It's a real hoot.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2017 ---
    I think with people of Trump's power level and ego it has less to do with sex drive than dominance and proving he's still got. It's borderline rapey even with consent.

15. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

That's not how it works.

16. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'm pretty sure Trump was/is banging Kellyanne Conway.

17. Zenithal macrumors 603

Only if Trump skins Clinton alive and puts on his skin suit.

18. Scepticalscribe, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Do you think that Mr Trump - or, as we are discussing such an unpleasant topic - this is a man George R R Martin has described as President Pussygrabber, is capable of such a feat? That is, without the copious consumption of little chemical helpers?

As I mentioned a few posts earlier, I have actually met - that is, met, and spoken with - Bill Clinton.

Now, say what you like, but this guy - and, yes, I know his past - but, this guy has megawatt charisma and - frankly - is extraordinarily attractive. Intelligent, charming, personable. Gracious. Mannerly. Polite. When talking to you, he has the knack of being totally focussed on you, and of making it seem that you are the most interesting and fascinating person on the planet.

He has "it" - had he asked anyone (male or female, including myself) out that evening for a drink and a get-to-know-you chat, I think people would have had a hard time turning him down. I know I would have - and that would have been with one part of my mind screaming 'you moron' while the rest of me thought, hm, why not?

You see, Bill Clinton actually likes women - yes, perhaps, too much - whereas Mr Trump despises them profoundly, even expressing disgusted contempt for perfectly normal female body functions (such as when Secretary Clinton used the rest room during the debates - when Mr Trump was heard to say "gross" - or his earlier, horrible references to "blood coming out of her whatever"...)

Anyway, Mr Trump lacks the appeal that Mr Clinton had completely - he has no class, no grace, no flair, no charisma, no wit or intelligence, there is nothing remotely attractive about him.

Agreed completely.

It is an expression of absolute power and utter entitlement.

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Sounds like you got it bad for Bill Clinton. Go get em Tiger. :rolleyes:

20. Gutwrench macrumors 68000

Gutwrench

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

First thought: Ewwwwww

Second thought: Maybe that's what she was really grading when she gave him an "A"

22. Gutwrench macrumors 68000

Gutwrench

Bottle that as syrup of ippicac and slap on a surgeon general warning: Shamelessly amusing.

Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, Kristen Gilbert, Charles Shobhraj were also intelligent, charming, and personable.

Nope Clinton wasn't a monster like they were.

23. steve knight, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

god thanks for putting that horrible picture in my mind. instead of oh god it would be oh donald.

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, this is merely the female equivalent of recognising megawatt charisma, and yes, it exists. Recognition of - or acknowledgement of - something, does not mean "you got it bad"; although, I will concede - as I have already, that if William Jefferson Clinton had invited me out for a drink - my head (shouting warnings of "moron, cretin, imbecile") would, have been warring with the rest of me (the persona murmuring "why not - this could be interesting").

Anyway, I have met the man and I recognise - and salute - having been on the receiving end of - his intelligent, charming, focussed, stupendous charisma. Attractiveness. And yes - I will admit it - sex appeal.

I also met - and spoke with - George Mitchell - who hugely impressed me - as a person with a public and political profile, and a strong sense of public duty, an attractive - most attractive - man, highly intelligent, articulate, modest, courteous, - actually, as a human being, I preferred him to Bill Clinton, but - while extremely attractive, he lacked Clinton's outrageous and compelling charisma.

No, Clinton wasn't a monster.

And I have met monsters in other walks of life. But, yes, it is worth remembering than these monsters don't always have this word tattooed helpfully on their foreheads, and that their intelligence and charm and personable air have anbaled them to get away with a lot that otherwise they wouldn't have been able to get away with.

25. SusanK macrumors 68000

FLOTUS probably vacillates on whether to send the gals a thank you note or a sympathy card ;)