Votes: 3 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 85.7%

• Total voters

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
You know he's watching TV and seething, he's already set precedent with Comey.

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
From FactCheck.org:

Q: Can President Donald Trump fire special counsel Robert Mueller?

A: Not directly. Only the deputy attorney general who appointed Mueller can fire him and only for cause. But Trump could fire the DAG, or order the special-counsel regulations repealed and fire Mueller himself.

FULL QUESTION
Can the president fire the special council himself or does he need the acting FBI director to do the firing at the president’s bidding?

Reactions: hulugu

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I thought I read somewhere that congress could also cut funding, essentially killing the investigation. Not sure that's true though.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Not over this, Trump doesn’t have loyalty to his underlings. When it starts to threaten his family is when he will try something. So depending on how many steps there are from the indictments and guilty plea to Trump Jr. he may act if they have incriminating evidence, otherwise if they have to turn a few more people to get there he will wait.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
I think technically Trump can instruct Mueller to be fired by the AG. If the AG refuses, Trump can fire the AG and get an AG that would do what he wants. Essentially, see Nixon.

However, considering Trump is under investigation for obstruction of justice for firing Comey (not for collusion, that's the distraction the right-wing propaganda machine keeps trying to make), I would think Trump knows that doing anything to interfere with Mueller is a bad idea. He saw what kind of ********* that caused before, I don't think he wants it again.

That said, congress should codify Mueller's status and purpose into law, to remove that temptation from the executive. With the Republicans that have been speaking out against Trump and his crazies lately, there should be enough votes.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not over this, Trump doesn’t have loyalty to his underlings. When it starts to threaten his family is when he will try something. So depending on how many steps there are from the indictments and guilty plea to Trump Jr. he may act if they have incriminating evidence, otherwise if they have to turn a few more people to get there he will wait.
Not over this? I’m not sure what you are saying. As the investigation focuses and narrows on Trump interests, he could make such a move, no?

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
If trump fires Mueller he'd be the most unpopular President in history. I think even Trump is not stupid or vain enough to stir up that hornet's nest.

Reactions: hulugu

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
If trump fires Mueller he'd be the most unpopular President in history. I think even Trump is not stupid or vain enough to stir up that hornet's nest.
He's already at 33% and that was before yesterday's indictments, how much more unpopular can he be?

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I don't think Trump will act in such a manner any time soon, but eventually he will act. This is a man at the head of a cult of personality; the rules do not apply to him. He can justify any action as being in defense of himself personally, and his followers will back him up.

Now, should the GOP lose its stranglehold on power, that might change things. But until that happens, he's well within his rights to have Mueller removed. And unlike Nixon, he seems to have a support base happy to let him take actions that cause heartburn in Washington...

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I thought I read somewhere that congress could also cut funding, essentially killing the investigation. Not sure that's true though.
That was the word floating around last week led by Trump crony Steve King, when word of indictments were floating around.

It might be difficult though...
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/27/politics/robert-mueller-russia-investigation-cost-trump/index.html
(CNN)President Donald Trump Friday morning tweeted about the "costly" Russia investigations, the latest in a string of conservative complaints about the Russia probe led by special counsel Robert Mueller.

But Congress actually has little recourse to fight the budget for the special counsel.

The budget for Mueller's probe, which is investigating possible collusion between Trump associates and Russian officials and obstruction of justice, is not part of the annual funding for the Justice Department that Congress approves.

Instead, it comes out of a separate revolving Treasury Department account for "permanent, indefinite appropriations" and it is set up for things like special investigations. The special counsel has submitted his budget to the Justice Department for review.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Not over this? I’m not sure what you are saying. As the investigation focuses and narrows on Trump interests, he could make such a move, no?
I’m saying he won’t risk getting impeached over firing Mueller to protect the people that were indicted. When it comes to his family he probably will protect them.

Reactions: Huntn

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
I don't think he will go down this road. It would be just too obvious and make both himself as well as campaign/administration only look worse. It also wouldn't accomplish anything as I have no doubt that other ways to continue investigations would be pursued.

He's got two choices:

1. Let the investigations play out and come to an end sometime in his presidency
2. Inflame things further, seed more doubt about him and have a cloud hanging over every single day of his presidency with no end in sight...ever.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
I don't think he will go down this road. It would be just too obvious and make both himself as well as campaign/administration only look worse. It also wouldn't accomplish anything as I have no doubt that other ways to continue investigations would be pursued.

He's got two choices:

1. Let the investigations play out and come to an end sometime in his presidency
2. Inflame things further, seed more doubt about him and have a cloud hanging over every single day of his presidency with no end in sight...ever.
I tend to agree but looking at Comey, even his most trusted advisers told him not to do it and he did anyway. He does not do well with those who he thinks are out to get him, he let's it fester and then impulsively acts without reason.

Reactions: Huntn

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
If Trump ever tried to fire Mueller it would be an admission of guilt that even his stanch supporters would not be able to defend. This is what his aides are trying to tell him.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
If Trump ever tried to fire Mueller it would be an admission of guilt that even his stanch supporters would not be able to defend. This is what his aides are trying to tell him.
Where have you been for the last 9 months? His supporters aren't interested in defending his behavior. They don't care what he does as long as it tweeks Dems/Libs.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Where have you been for the last 9 months? His supporters aren't interested in defending his behavior. They don't care what he does as long as it tweeks Dems/Libs.
True, but even they would hopefully realize it would look bad to fire the guy who is about to drop the hammer. Of course there is a part of the base that just thinks this is a witch hunt and Trump is a saint. The political fire that would be started would never extinguish if Trump goes through with it though.