Will Unlimited Data 3G Verizon Users Be Grandfathered into Verizon's 4G Network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HappyDude20, Jun 22, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Many of you have iPhone 4's on Verizon. I don't but want to, considering the July 7th deadline of unlimited data on Verizon.

I use quite a bit of data and can only imagine my usage going up. Should I get an iPhone 4, it would be through eBay or CraigList, seeing as my upgrade date isn't for like another year. Truth is, I hate my dumbphone; LG Env2. The buttons on the front don't work and daily turns off randomly without notice.

The point:

If I get an iPhone 4 now with unlimited data, when the new iPhone comes out, whether its the iPhone 5 or 6, whichever includes 4G... will we be grandfathered into the unlimited data still?

I would imagine "no" seeing as i'd think only current Verizon 4G users would get to keep their unlimited data plans, even on 4G.

Is this assumption correct?

I don't know what to do...wait and keep using this stupid phone, or bite the bullet and get the iPhone 4?

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

I think word came out that if you have an unlimited plan you will get to keep it when you upgrade your phone, even if you are moving from 3G to 4G. There are many threads on it.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm reading up on it now here in the forums. I hope this is true. I may even give Verizon a call concerning the question at hand.

4. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

There has been no confirmation in verizon's internal documents or anywhere else actually stating you are grandfathered in from 3g to 4g.

HOWEVER, i just spoke to my verizon rep. for my store and he said you will be able to be grandfathered in from a 3g phone to a 4g phone on an upgrade. :)

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

That's great news. Looks like i'll be getting the iPhone 4 now and hold out till the 4G comes out.

Thanks again!

6. flipster, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

flipster macrumors 6502a

There is no confirmation on this yet. It's 50/50 :/

However, on the picture of the leaked verizon pricing plans, it says this:

[​IMG]

So essentially, its still up in the air as to wether or not they will.

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I feel there will be enough of a debate, should the situation ever present itself when the 4G iPhone comes out.

I need a phone either way, looks like I'm gonna spoil myself and go for it. :apple:

8. topherg macrumors regular

a few people on the forum that work for vzw have said that 3g and 4g plans are considered different data plans on their point of sale screens. No one knows for sure.

9. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

When I worked at Best Buy I saw the same thing. 4G plans and 3G were completely different. This is why I was freaking out at first. IF I do freak out, it'll be when the 4G iPhone comes out and this issue begins all over again.

10. flipster macrumors 6502a

See, this is the weird thing. On Verizon's website, it says this:

[​IMG]

ssodkfgijdofigjdofijgodifjgspodjgodij So confused :confused:!

11. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Is 3G & 4G data pricing the same? If it is then this would most likely be a benefit to us, until they change the pricing...

But if I remember correctly didn't 4G require a stupid $10 fee on top?

12. topherg macrumors regular

No fee for 4G. I think Sprint does. I just switched to a thunderbolt. Just in case!

13. SR71 macrumors 68000

The Thunderbolt is awesome, but battery life is terrible. I switched to the iPhone from a Bolt last week.

14. MacJones macrumors 6502

I just switched from my iPhone 4 on AT&T to a HTC Thunderbolt because I wanted the unlimited 4G data before July 7th. I switched for the data plan not the phone. I got the phone for $129 at walmart and should be able to cover the cost of cancellation fee and the new phone with the sale of my iPhone.

15. MacJones macrumors 6502

Aren't there better batteries you can buy for the phone?

16. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yeah, extended batteries that only add to the already big size of the Thunderbolt.

17. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Update

So I couldn't resist and ended up buying and iPhone 4 earlier tonight. It all went smoothly and i love it!

at the Verizon store when i was activating the iPhone 4 I asked about being grandfathered into the unlimited data plan for future upgrades. He said that if in the future I upgrade to a 4G phone, the unlimited data I have currently on the iPhone 4 would allow me to be grandfathered into the unlimited 4G. :D

18. MacJones macrumors 6502

Here's one that doesn't give the phone a huge growth on the back.

http://www.htcexpress.com/htc-batte...rydock-usb-charger-pd42100-0609728894818.html

Good to know. I'll probably keep the Thunderbolt just in case though.

19. SR71 macrumors 68000

This. Not to mention the fact that the cost what... $40+ and only add a few more hours onto the already terrible battery life. No way I'd waste my money on that. And like the previous poster said, it makes the Thunderbolt even bigger than it already is and it looks ugly, too.

20. SR71 macrumors 68000

21. andyx3x, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

andyx3x macrumors 65816

Look they are going to tell you yes right now when it comes to grandfathering being allowed when going to 4g from 3g. Because that's the way it is at this moment.

But they are covering themselves by saying (No known end date on this as of this moment). They are smart by saying this.

I switched to a Verizon iPhone a few months ago to be locked into unlimited data and I will absolutely shocked if they allow me to have it when the iPhone 4g LTE comes out.

This is going to change on Verizon and it will change on AT&T when they have a 4g iPhone.

22. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I was always under the impression that 3G and 4G data plans were separate, and even different prices as well.

I have a really cheap plan for unlimited 3G data right now, and I will certainly be surprised (and excited) if they grandfather my current plan to an unlimited 4G plan at the same price.

So for those of you saying it will be grandfathered, I sure hope you're right!

23. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

They are saying it b/c they want to be ready to end it if AT&T soon announces that they are NOT grandfathering anyone.

Once one company does it, the other will wait a bit then do the same

Neither want to grandfather anyone

24. kath00 macrumors newbie