will upgrading the ram in my mbp provide me with better fps?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slith003, Mar 31, 2011.

1. slith003 macrumors member

im gonna be getting the 2011 mbp 13" and i was wondering if upgrading the ram to the maximum of 8gb will provide me with more fps while playing games?

2. DarkFlame macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Great question!

3. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

As far as I know, no. But I may be wrong. RAM is really for multi tasking, etc.

4. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

MMO's might gain a very slight boost, but a gaming PC will definitely give you a nice boost.

5. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

While an upgrade would result in more video memory being made available to the Intel HD 3000 graphics processor, it's not likely to increase the frame rate that you are seeing during gaming.

That being said, you will notice better performance when multi-tasking or running memory intensive applications.

6. slith003 thread starter macrumors member

will the 2011 mbp i5 be able to run wow? i dont expect the game to look sharp and stunning. im just wondering about how playable the game is gonna be, fps and lag issues mainly. thank you for the responses.

7. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

That depends on how you define playable. You can run the game at low settings but I wouldn't want to try and raid with it. Check out Anandtech's review of the MBP for details on how the 13" runs WoW. Its basic, but playable. The 15" models will all run it pretty well. If you really want a proper gaming Mac you have to get the upgraded card in the 15", the 6750. Thats a $2199 Mac though.

8. 3lackwater macrumors newbie

Personally, I'd rather spend the difference on a dedicated gaming PC. For a thousand bucks you can build a pretty decent machine.

Also, to answer the OP: No.