Will upgrading to Lion have any impact on my existing bootcamp partition?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by maj2505, Jul 20, 2011.

1. maj2505 macrumors newbie

From what I understand, upgrading to Lion should not affect my existing boot camp partition that I run windows 7 on since it is separate from the partition that os x is on. However, I read a couple complaints from people who installed the developer version of Lion that they couldn't get windows to load afterwards. Since I am paranoid and can't stand the idea of redoing boot camp, can anyone who has done the update confirm that it has no impact on an existing boot camp partition (i.e. everything is the same as before the update, windows runs fine, files can be accessed, etc.)?

Thanks a lot for the help.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It shouldn't have any affect. Those with problems were probably in the minority or it was something else that made their Windows partition not boot. You can keep asking it chances are you'll get some that have no problems and some that do run into problems, you'll just have to do it.

3. Jlpeaks macrumors newbie

Your post prompted me to check.
    I can confirm that I am typing this message to you from my windows version of Safari. All is working just as it was.

One thing i did notice is after holding down the option key at startup there was a third partition called "recovery HD" .. presumably thats an OSX fail-safe.

4. maj2505 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great. Thanks for the reply. I'll take the leap.

5. OakNinja macrumors newbie

What did you end up with?