Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuakeProd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
KC
So after numerous attempts of trial and error to get my mini displayed to my likings (going thru hdmi, dvi, vga cords and adapters that weren't cooperating for like 2 weeks straight) I was just thinking is this possible? I havent asked the genius' yet cause this just came to mind and I wanted to know if anyone had any idea about this before i go and buy something.

I have a feeling it might, but apples new technology is so specific now. I also ask because I had a mini to DVI adapter and a genius told me i could put in a small DVI to VGA adapter and it would work for my vga monitor...and it didnt. One guy told me TODAY that it wasnt going to work because the new adapters dont work like that...wish I saw him the other day. Plus ive been down there 3-4 times within 2 days, so I need some time away...and their not close.

Not assuming anyone is lacking visualization skills, but this is pretty much what im talking about:
http://www.spectrumaudio.com/tripp-lite-p516-001-splitter-monitor-y-vga-xvga.html

QuakeProd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
KC
That should work if you have a MDP to VGA adapter and want the same thing on both monitors

Yup, thats what im using, and assuming you mean same thing by extending the screen onto the other possible 2 monitors, thats my intent.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
If you buy it and try it please let us know if it works. I am 90 percent
sure it won't. I say 90 percent because it won't work on 2008 or 2009 minis. As tested by myself and a few others.

If it works for 2010 minis you will have found the best reason for a 2010 mini to date. A clear victory for the 320 gpu card over the 9400 gpu card. Please keep us up to date.

dcoulson

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Yup, thats what im using, and assuming you mean same thing by extending the screen onto the other possible 2 monitors, thats my intent.

No, if you use a VGA splitter you get the same thing on both displays. Not extended, just mirrored.

You can't run a VGA display off the HDMI port on a Mac Mini. You can only do HDMI/DVI digital video. If you want to run two displays, at least one of them has to be DVI/HDMI, not VGA.

QuakeProd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
KC
No, if you use a VGA splitter you get the same thing on both displays. Not extended, just mirrored.

You can't run a VGA display off the HDMI port on a Mac Mini. You can only do HDMI/DVI digital video. If you want to run two displays, at least one of them has to be DVI/HDMI, not VGA.

I see I seee.
I will look into that.

thank you all for your feedback.

Sorry for my delay, i didnt think I would get anymore replies.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
If you want to display three monitors on a Mini, try looking at Matrox. They have products for this. :)

QuakeProd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
KC
For anyone who still looks at this thread. i never tried it. lol. I listened to ya.
I just bought a vga to mini displayport and got me an adapter for my HDMI to DVI-D and split the views!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.