Will video card (9400M vs ati4670) impact video & photo editing performance on a 21.5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by elmillerm3, Nov 4, 2009.

1. elmillerm3 macrumors newbie

I am considering going cheap (basic 21.5 with 9400M card) and wondering if I the machine will be much slower than one with the upgraded 4670 card. I know the ati card will do MUCH better for games but I am not planning to use it for that (mainly photo and video editing - consumer not pro level). Thanks

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well right now Intel Integrated GPU is a no go for Final Cut Pro, how long until the current Nvidia Integrated GPU is a no go for Final Cut Pro...

Likely the release after the Intel i5 CPU with integrated GPU comes out in the iMac and the MacBooks. ;)

3. elmillerm3 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I am only editing simple videos on imovie, will I see any difference between

the 9400 and the 4670? I will spend the money on the good card if I have to but dont want to buy more than I need! Thanks

4. smetvid macrumors 6502

The intel gpu was never supported because it was a piece of junk. The Nvidia 9400 is integrated but that doesn't make it bad. What is good is that it is a proper Nvidia based gpu. The integrated 9400 isn't really any worse then a dedicated 9400 video card. The only disadvantage of course is that you cannot upgrade it and it shares ram with your system. With 4GB, 8GB or 16GB of ram however this really is not an issue. I just bought a base model 21.5" with Nvidia 9400 and it is rock solid with Final Cut Pro and Motion. I'm sure a better video card would have made the system even faster but I am really cool with what it can do. I'm used to editing on quad core PC Avid systems with $1000.00 video cards and this IMac is amazing.

5. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i run photoshop cs3 heavily on my macbook with a intel GPU with no problems. same goes with final cut express, but not sure about final cut pro

as long as i have 4gb of RAM in my computer running those demanding applications will be no problem for me. Since im on a intel GPU im pretty sure that 9400m gpu for the imac will suffice. however if you are going to do intensive video editing by using final cut pro or even adobe after effects (for special effects) i suggest going for the better one like the radeon 4670

6. eloh macrumors member

I agree with thomahawk and smetvid. :)

I can't wait until I get my 21.5....I plan on using GarageBand, Logic Express, and iMovie.

7. elmillerm3 thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome -looks like the 9400 will meet my needs

thanks