Will we finally be able to play Pandora Radio while we check our email?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wfiphone, Apr 25, 2009.

1. wfiphone macrumors member

is that one of the features in 3.0? where you can let apps run in the background?

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

No.

3. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

3.0 may have the long-talked about push background notifications to be used by say Skype or a instant messaging app to notify you of an incoming voip call or message from an IM contact...don't confuse that with an app running in the background.

Cheers.

-J.-

4. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

5. aok1975 macrumors 6502

6. matttye macrumors 601

Apple really shouldn't dictate how we can use our phones. If I want to install a 3rd party app that runs in the background and only gives me 2 hours of battery life, shouldnt that be my choice?

7. Babybandit macrumors regular

Yes, but then we would get haters complaining that we only get 2 hour battery life. Apple, Stockholders doesn't want that.

8. matttye macrumors 601

I doubt they're happy with people complaining about the daft limitations that other phones don't have either.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It's not much different than using the built-in iPod app to play musc in the background.

People are not dumb. They know that the more they ask something to do, the less the battery will last. Same with any portable device.

The choice should be up to us.

10. B.A. macrumors regular

Hasn't seemed to upset share value thus far...

11. nfl46 macrumors 603

Well, you guys have to think about it. When Apple said it will use too much battery, they were referring to the 3G iPHONE, NOT the new one. Who knows? The new iphone hardware will more than likely improve the battery life. I think thats a given! SO, we will have to see if the new iPhone hardware has improved enough for that to happen, but I reallllly think the new hardware will be much better than the 3G iPhone.

12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

No, the majority of people ARE dumb. They will still complain.

13. The General macrumors 601

Other than the fact that it's constantly accessing data.

14. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

jailbreak and get Backgrounder then you can do it.

15. aok1975 macrumors 6502

So when pandora is running (not in the background) it does not drain battery?

16. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

No, it magically runs with no power source. However, if you were to decide to run Pandora while another app is running, it would suddenly lose this magical ability and suck the battery dry.

Seriously, point well taken. Running Pandora in the foreground or in the background will use battery power at the exact same rates. If you are hellbent on running Pandora no matter what, then your battery life will depend on the other app you are running with it.

Curious, why is Pandora (or similar apps) allowed to run in the background on other cellphones (windows mobile & blackberry), but for the iPhone it's such a horrible idea.

17. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Maybe because those other phones have batteries that can be easily replaced on the fly and the iPhone doesn't? So your batter will drain faster on the iPhone is something is going on in the background. Just a thought.

I would love the idea of being able to listen to pandora and do other items at the same time. I don't see it any different then the ipod function.

Well one little difference it has to go out and connect to another source and then stay connected. :)

18. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

they dont cater to the lowest common denominator aka the stupid people out there.

19. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

+1. People are stupid.

You have to remember that the VAST, VAST majority of iPhone users are not 'enthusiasts' cruising mac forums. They are just regular folks who think the iPhone is cool.
    Allowed back ground apps, they will leave 5 different apps running at the same time then go back to the apple store and bitch when their battery only lasts 1 hour.

20. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

but as an informed user why do you want to be dragged down to the level of joe six pack?

21. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Uh, I don't. What's your point?

I'm saying that because there are more joe six packs using iPhones than informed users is the reason back ground apps aren't allowed.

22. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

So then build a better phone?

23. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

By "better" do you mean a phone the size a brick w/ a laptop battery in it?

24. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

and as a user do you think thats a good thing?

25. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

No. But that's the way it is.