Will we get Yosemite for free if we buy a laptop now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Aug 8, 2014.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I am considering to buy the latest rMBP 15" or MB Air. How likely will I be able to upgrade to Yosemite for free?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It will be free for everyone, Apple stopped charging for OS upgrades last year when Mavericks was released.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Yes. Though if you ever wipe your machine and want to start over, you will find it easiest to start from the version of OSX that came with your Mac and then "upgrade" to whatever the current version of OSX happens to be when you do your wipe.

And I was gonna offer it to him at a "discount". ;)

4. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

5. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

Huh? Easiest? It's the same process, just install the latest version of the OS you want to put on there. Doing an earlier version first, then doing the upgrade, is 'harder' not 'easier'.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I wholeheartedly agree, however having done it a few times I found that putting a newer version than the one my machine came with didn't always work. One example was Snow Leopard on a machine that came with Leopard or Leopard on a machine that came with Tiger. Now that every OS is recoverable either from the recovery partition, a homemade USB stick or over the internet perhaps this isn't an issue any more.