Will we need the account holder's SS# to activate the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flipm725, Jun 13, 2010.

1. flipm725 macrumors regular

on iTunes? I'm having it shipped from AT&T. I was just wondering since I'm buying it with my own money. First time I bought a phone through AT&T.

2. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I'm wondering this as well, because I'll be purchasing the iPhone myself. But I'm wondering if the account holder is going to have to be present, because I'm on a family plan and the account isn't under my name. I hope not, because that would be very inconvenient.

3. flipm725 thread starter macrumors regular

Same here. It would blow to have it delivered to your door and after plugging it in to iTunes you know you can't do a thing.

4. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Even if you do need the account holder's SS#, how hard is that to get?

5. flipm725 thread starter macrumors regular

6. McBeats macrumors 6502a

If they are sleeping and you can't get them up lol... thats all I can think. or u cant call them cuz ur trying to activate the phone...

7. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

8. XciteMe macrumors 6502

Do you think your dad would appreciate you writing down his SS# without his permission?

Just ask him. Be up front.

Also, it's refreshing to see a young teenager on here who's actually buying an iPhone with HIS own money that I assumed he earned, and not having Mommy and Daddy treat him to a $300 phone to take to school every day. Good job. :)

9. KingHuds macrumors 6502

If you're getting it at the store you have to be an authorized user, if you're activating online, then yes you need the last 4 of the account holder's social, even just for pre-ordering I'm pretty sure.

10. flipm725 thread starter macrumors regular

23 with a job and I was just curious if I needed the SS to activate it through iTunes.

11. pab277 macrumors regular

If you already have at&t, then in order to pre-order, and activate, they will ask for the last four digits of the primary account holder's ssn.

If you don't have at&t, then in order to pre-order, and activate, they will need the entire ssn to run a credit check

If you are going to buy in-store or pick up you must either take the primary account holder with you or you must be authorized to make purchases at the retail store (here is a link to instructions on how to become an authorized account) http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...yncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB90110&isSrch=Yes

12. flipm725 thread starter macrumors regular

ahhh ok ok. I'll just go and pick it up in the store then.

13. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

im buying mine with my own money, also paying for my data plan too, ive been saving up for the past year and half for this phone :D

14. r3voLoL macrumors member

You only need to last 4 digits of the account holders SSN if you're pre-ordering it online.

To activate the phone, you just login to iTunes and plug the iPhone in and let it do it's thing.