Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpanklyMcDoodle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
Plus video memory.
I will be using boot camp/windows mostly for games (like MS Flight Sim X) so I need all the juice my system has to offer.

Thank you in advance.

Spank:p

Please.
What does it say under Start Menu> Control Panel> System> General Tab:
Computer:
?

Thanks,
S:eek:

in-ten-city

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
windows xp home only supports one processor so you wont be able to maximize that core 2 duo proccesor. other than that should work fine...

Southern

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
London, UK
windows xp home only supports one processor so you wont be able to maximize that core 2 duo proccesor. other than that should work fine...

Hmm...

Core2Duo is a dual core single processor. While XP doesn't have decent enough routines to use the two cores to their full potential, the extra speed that two cores brings will definately aid gaming. However, I have seen people using XP on dual processor machines (xeons and opterons for example) so in this case, XP not only supports multi processors but multi cores too. Just not to their full spec. Shame but hey, that's Windows for you.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
XP Home supports ONE processor with no limit on the cores...so you're fine.

You will only see 2GB of RAM though...this is true for XP Pro as well. Hope apple fixes it.

Southern

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
London, UK
Also to answer your question about bootcamp and resource usage, because XP is booting natively on your Macbook Pro, I would have said that the XP install will be able to use all the specification of your MBP, but it is down to whether your copy of XP has a decent set of drivers to efficiently deal with it.

As a side note, I think XP has a 4Gb ceiling whereby it refuses to see and take advantage of anything higher than 4Gb of RAM (Vista is 8Gb I believe). I would have thought 3Gb would be more than enough for XP, but it does seem a little excessive. Once you get the machine running bootcamp you will find out, I guess

You will only see 2GB of RAM though...this is true for XP Pro as well. Hope apple fixes it.

Is this a limitation in Bootcamp? I haven't heard of this before.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Hurr hurr hurr...corporate server versions can take up to 64Gb of RAM :D

At least I was right about the 4Gb ceiling - something about Windows XP must have stuck in my head after getting frustrated with it after all these years...
Well under 32-bit address it's 2 and 2 . :p

SpanklyMcDoodle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
I am currently running a non-act copy of XP Pro (for testing) and it shows (under the general tab in sys properties) :

Computer:
T7600 @ 2.33GHz
977 MHz, 2.98 GB RAM
Physical Address Extention

Is this not an indication of full functionality?

Thanks again.

S:D

I see no mention of the Home version in this article or am I not reading it right?
I wonder if I can make the example edit in the boot.ini in Home.
Does anyone know?

Thanks,
S

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Is this a limitation in Bootcamp? I haven't heard of this before.

It's a limitation of the BIOS emulator...so Apple needs to release a firmware update for the Mac Pro/MBP line to adress this.

I personally have another PC that has 4GB of RAM and Windows XP (32bit) sees 3GB of RAM with the /PAE /3G switches in the boot.ini file.

SpanklyMcDoodle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
It's a limitation of the BIOS emulator...so Apple needs to release a firmware update for the Mac Pro/MBP line to adress this.

I personally have another PC that has 4GB of RAM and Windows XP (32bit) sees 3GB of RAM with the /PAE /3G switches in the boot.ini file.

Define SEES please.

S:eek:

vistafanboi

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
How can I tell what my computer is "seeing"?

Thanks

S:)

Try this:
1) Right-click on the TaskBar, and choose "Task Manager"
2) Click on the "Performance" tab.
3) The total amount of physical memory XP "sees" will be displayed in the left column under "Physical Memory", and labeled "Total Physical memory" (I can't be more specific, since I am currently in Vista, which does it a little differently-- but not too differently.

VistafanBoi
:)

SpanklyMcDoodle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
Thank you VistafanBoi for your concise answer.

I am, however showing a total of 3129784 and 2845068+/-.

I have not made any change to my boot.ini file nor have I flashed the firmware.

Now how can I tell that my current xp (pro) is or is not accesing all of my RAM for any given application?

Basically, well, yeah, I'm still confused.:eek:

S

2845068+/- is refering to the current available RAM. My bad!:rolleyes:

S

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Just go to MY COMPUTER, right click and go to properties. On that page it will say how much RAM you have available. Mine is 1.98GB

hondaboy945

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2006
Orlando
You do understand that everyone is saying that "seeing" the ram is if your MAC has 4GB of RAM and when you boot windows it only shows 3GB in the Control Panel. I do not know about Vista w/ bootcamp.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
You do understand that everyone is saying that "seeing" the ram is if your MAC has 4GB of RAM and when you boot windows it only shows 3GB in the Control Panel. I do not know about Vista w/ bootcamp.

Hokay. Here we go.

32-bit Windows is usually limited to a total of 3.3GB of RAM, without hacks. Using various methods, you can get around that limit. Don't try it.

64-bit Windows (XP x64 and Vista) can address more. A lot more. 32-bit Vista can address 3.3GB just like XP.

SpanklyMcDoodle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
What I am asking about is XP Home compared to XP Pro.
NOT 32bit vs. 64bit.
NOT XP vs. Vista.
I'm really trying to be as clear as possible.
The question is this: (a simple yes or no will suffice)

Will XP HOME 32bit "see" the same amount of both cores of the processor and all 3gigs of RAM and the video card processor as is "seen" (see my earlier post) currently in my XP PRO setup?

Thank you.

S:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.