Will Yosemite lead to a market share loss for Apple?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by FrtzPeter, Sep 17, 2014.

1. FrtzPeter macrumors member

Yosemite seems to have its fans and detractors. Although the fans outweigh the detractors by a 3:1 ratio (based on observed info about Yosemite), will this lead to a market share loss for Apple?

The ratio of detractors seems to be just about what it was when iOS transitioned from 6 to 7. I heard some claim that because of the change, when their contract for their phone ran out and it was time to get a new phone they would look at other phones instead of sticking to an iPhone. One such person was a neighbor that is now sporting a new Android based Samsung. When I asked him about an iPhone, he said "didn't even bother looking at them."

Another telling sign is the reduction in sales of iPads since the release of iOS 7. Unlike iPhones, iPads aren't typically tied to a contract and a user can't be so easily locked into a platform.

Now we get to Yosemite. Here we have just about the same percentage of hard core detractors at about 20%, which I think is extremely high for an OS update. In any case the options will include the following:

1. Switch platforms all together
    2. Stay with previous version of OS X such as Mavericks, Snow Leopard, etc
    3. Follow along with the Yosemite even though they don't like it.

What do you think people will do? Personally I intend to select item 2 and as time progresses evaluate item 1.

2. kolax macrumors G3

Based on what spread of people? It's a free upgrade, I don't see why someone would buy a whole new laptop just because they aren't overly happy with the free upgrade.

3. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

4. afsnyder macrumors 65816

If anything iOS 8 is running on the iPhone 6 and they sold a record number. The reason people slowly are stopping buying new iPads is because they work for a long time and they are kinda expensive to replace. While a phone, the costs are hidden within the contract.

Where's your evidence that 20% of Mac users will switch platforms as soon as Yosemite is released? I believe Yosemite is fundamentally the same as OS X mavericks but adopts the look and feel of the successful iOS 7 upgrades. I expect more than 70% adoption for this new update because it is so visually different that people will talk.

5. FrtzPeter thread starter macrumors member

There is no evidence that 20% of users will switch platforms, and that's not what I said. What I said was that, based on some of the surveys on this site roughly 20% don't like Yosemite. I am posing a hypothetical question, and the question is will this eventually turn into base customer loss?

My suspicion is the answer is "Yes", and I'd predict over time a loss of 10-15%. The last time I checked roughly 30% of users were still using Snow Leopard and Lion.

...only time will tell.

6. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

It will probably lead to a market share increase...just my guess anyway, and I'm far from convinced on Yosemite's looks...

7. bigalow macrumors member

I'd bet that the SMS texting from iMessage is enough of a perk to get a lot of people to upgrade. just a guess - not basing that off of anything but personal speculation

8. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

OP, you don't have to post this rant on multiple threads do you ? :confused: