Will you be able to retain your AW case but swap in upgraded internals?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Tronic, May 2, 2015.

1. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

I'm just wondering how Apple plans to deal with those wishing to upgrade at each new iteration. Will AW cases stay a standard size for multiple iterations, allowing customers to "upgrade" the internals while retaining their existing case/straps?

Will Apple offer a buy-back program and recycle the raw materials?

Thoughts?

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I can imagine a trade-in, but not an internal upgrade.

3. Neutral Milk macrumors regular

Neutral Milk

Very interesting question. I'd be curious to know if there was a teardown done in which the Edition had easier to access and swap parts than the other models. Given how much people spent on those it seems crazy that it should be outdated tech in a few years. They have to have some plan in mind.

The idea of swapping out internals seems super pricey. Imagine millions of people sending in watches to have parts swapped.. seems unfeasible, but I don't really know. Buy-back seems to make more sense as a model for upgrading.

I have no actually helpful information to add, I just think it's an interesting point of discussion.

4. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Based on what iFixit has seen, an internals upgrade is very unlikely. I can't see Apple making that worthwhile vs. a trade-in allowance (but as always could we do better selling ourselves, as with iPhones?).

5. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I hate selling stuff so I would definitely appreciate a trade-in program even if it means getting a little less than in the open market.

6. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

No that won't happen. The ifixit teardowns made that quite clear. No upgrades to existing hardware. And no trade ins for the sport or stainless steel. It wouldn't be worth anyone's time or money. About the only trade in that does make sense is on the Edition -- there's enough gold in that watch to make it worthwhile to gut the electronics and melt it down, and give the customer a credit toward a new one.

People who don't have $10-17K to spend on a watch need to get over that those who do expect something more than what arrives in the box. If you feel like you're owed more, then you probably shouldn't be spending that amount of money on an iPhone accessory in the first place.

7. H3rman macrumors 6502

Upgrade the internals? No chance, not going to be financially worth their time. Buy back/trade in? Quite likely, but they will probably offer you silly low prices.

For me, I will probably upgrade every 2 years like I do with my phone. My old one will either go to my parents (like my old phones do), or if they don't want a smart watch then it will go on eBay.

As far as I'm concerned, once the product has reached the end of its life I basically write off whatever it cost me. If I get something back for it then it's a bonus, if I don't, then I'm not that fussed.

8. Tronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Tronic

Is it the general consensus that Apple will update the AW hardware every year? What if the AW is just a "hobby" like the AppleTV and will only be updated sporadically?

9. madsci954 macrumors 68030

iFixit's teardown showed that the display and battery are fairly easy to replace. Everything seemed pretty destructive to remove, so internal upgrades seem unlikely. Maybe they'll do trade ins.

10. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

I don't think it is thought of as a Hobby, but I do think it will be a longer upgrade cycle, possibly two years.

While processor speed and efficiency could improve in one year, I don't see the other tech, mainly battery, improving enough to make it a significant upgrade that would be needed. GPS will likely be added at some point, but this will require a much better battery.

I think we will see two years between upgrade cycles, but major software upgrades in between.

11. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

Not sure if hardware upgrades are possible, but...

I think its possible that the :apple: Watch will see longer product cycles.