Will you buy a SS for $440 now or wait for the next gen?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by didgmd, Jun 30, 2016.

1. didgmd macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

So there is a deal that I can buy a 42mm SS for $440. Will you buy it or just wait for the next gen?

2. WheatonRon macrumors newbie

WheatonRon

I am in the same boat. Exactly the band I want. I will wait for next generation that has blood pressure capability! Assuming it has that feature!

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Keep in mind you'll pay full price when the next gen comes out. A $200 (or more) difference isn't really a decision we can easily make for you.

4. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Best Buy has a 42mm SS for $399. red band. and there will be additional sales soon. not sure what type band is being referred to..

5. Duncanator macrumors regular

Duncanator

It depends on how long you plan on keeping it. Would you feel the need to upgrade with the next gen or would you be content with the 1st gen? I could imagine a pretty decent price difference.

6. didgmd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks anyway :)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 30, 2016 ---
    So actually $420 isn't a very good deal, right?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 30, 2016 ---
    I can wait for the 2nd gen to come out. Just don't know $420 is a good deal or not. LOL

7. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I would buy one from best buy with the sale going on. I feel with WatchOS3 it will make the watch more useful per say.

8. SLOWBRA macrumors newbie

Had the same dilemma myself. I've been holding out for months thinking the new one would be around the corner. However, the prices are great right now (IMHO) and all the great things I've heard about WatchOS3 made the decision easier. I decided it was worth it to buy one for myself and the wife. Just do it and don't look back.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

When is everyone expecting gen 2? I would say next April at the earliest. Can you wait that long? Depending on how you use the watch, even a faster gen 2 may not matter and it will mostly be a thinner design. I never use apps outside of the stock ones, so it would take something crazy to make me upgrade (thinner is not that crazy).

10. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

420 is not a good deal? lol on which planet are you living? you are buying a watch tha tretails for 600$ for 200 less than MSRP yet you need to ask if 420 is a good deal? its an excellent deal, i bought mine from craigslist as well used 42mm stainless steel milanese loop for 440 5 months ago

11. Volusia macrumors regular

Volusia

I got a Sport version at Best Buy a little over two weeks ago while they were on sale. I wanted to see how I liked the device (which, BTW, I love) and figured this gave me the opportunity to try it, learn it and learn from it

When the next version comes out (and I don't know when that will be) I might consider moving up if some really significant changes are made. I don't like to sit and wait for the newest version to come out, if you do that, you could, in theory, be waiting for ever and never get to experience things!

12. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

$420 is not a good deal relative to BestBuy's sale at $400. Now, $400 for an SS with a red band is a good deal. :)

13. JayLenochiniMac, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The OP hasn't said what model the $420 is for? That makes a big difference if you get a more expensive band vs. SS with the sport band.

14. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I wouldn't pay more than $400 for a new SS with a sport band. Best Buy has that sale on and off, as does B&H.

That said, with AW2 as close as perhaps this Fall or holiday season, I would buy a used one - I got a barely used SS on eBay for $309 with shipping. That's a little lower than they typically go - they're usually $360-380 depending on condition, but I was extremely patient and pounced when I saw it.

Or, as someone posted above, buy a Sport model either new (often $250 on sale), or used (low $200s) to see if you like the AW as a device.

Either way, you don't stand to get as hurt when prices fall after the AW2 is announced.

15. quadchick10 macrumors member

quadchick10

I am in the market as well for the 42mm Stainless Steel Apple Watich. My husband suggested that I wait until the latest model comes out, but I am not going to spend $700.00 on a watch. I would rather get it at $399.00. I can always switch out the bands with third party watch bands. Unfortunately, Best Buy are out of the Apple Watch 42mm Stainless Steel-Red Sport Band. I am hoping that they get more in by this weekend.

16. exxxviii, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016

exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

True. But the OP is the one who responded to the $420 price as not a good deal relative to the BB $400 price.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It may or may not mean anything, like someone claiming a used link bracelet model at $500 isn't a good deal because BB is selling a SS with the sport band for $399.

18. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

It was the OP's value statement, so he will have to chime in. Though, the context of the prior posts did normalize to a sport band when the BB sale was cited.

19. didgmd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the opinion. But what if AW2 comes out at september?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 5, 2016 ---
    I'll probably use it for the basic functions, such as fitness tracking, messaging(dictation) or sometimes a phone call, etc.
    Good point! Thanks.

20. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

It's a tough choice as the Apple Watch is a unique product and an as of yet unestablished refresh cycle. Based on the way Apple is marketing it, I see the Watch as something with a much less frequent update cycle than Apple's other products so that they can incentivize buyers to purchase high end models, rather than buy low end models year after year. I would say its unlikely we see a September refresh, so IMO it would be a good idea to buy now for a good price.

21. didgmd thread starter macrumors newbie

Just normal one: SS SB with Black sport band.
    I've tried AW sport already, but returned it since I don't want the watch face get scratched.
    Thanks again! I totally agree with you. But still need some time to decide. BTW, as I've said above, it's a SB SS with black sport band.