Will you buy from Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FullMetalx117, Sep 1, 2012.

1. FullMetalx117 macrumors regular

In July, verizon made it so that if you upgrade your smartphone, and you have the grandfathered unlimited data plan, you will lose it. The only way to avoid this is by not paying the subsidized price and paying the full MSRP of the phone- new iphone will probably be $800? So are any of you going to buy the new iphone anyways and lose unlimited or will you pay the full price?

2. xlost6 macrumors 6502

I'm going to be upgrading but by using another line that I have on my plan that's available for an upgrade. Get the new iPhone and activate it under my line. There in, still keeping my grandfathered unlimited data.

3. formerpc macrumors 6502

Hate to break it you, unless you've confirmed that plan with Verizon, you will lose your grandfathered unlimited data by paying the subsidized price. That's just the way it is now. Sucks royally.

That being said, I'm going to be buying mine unsubsidized. I figured out the cost of the new shared data plan at 2GB/month compared to buying it outright and keeping my current plan and the difference (over the course of 2 years) is paying MSRP will cost 74¢ more per month than their silly little shared data plan. Definiely worth the "extra money" to keep my unlimited data. ^_^

4. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

It works. I've tried it. Keep it on the dl though, don't want Verizon finding out.

5. xlost6 macrumors 6502

What are you talking about? I'm using an upgrade from one of my lines that has an featured phone [LG Dare]. You know a basic phone. Upgrade that line. Get the phone. Activate it on her line. But then deactivate it and switch it to my line and I have a iPhone 5 without losing my unlimited data. And give my Mom my iPhone 4.

6. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Yep, definitely works. As far as Verizon is concerned, the second line is renewing contract and paying the subsidy, not the first line.

7. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

it's not going to work, no verizon rep is going to let a customer walk out the store with an iPhone 5 using a grandfathered unlimited plan through loop holes like the ones stated in this thread

8. formerpc macrumors 6502

Oh my bad. XD

9. xlost6 macrumors 6502

So no Verizon rep is going to let my Mom (which she has an upgrade available) upgrade her basic phone with no data plan to a smartphone plan with data and getting an iPhone 5?

Are you an Verizon rep or are you just talking out of thin air?

When she gets her iPhone 5 in the mail I will then switch iPhones with her so that I will have the 5 and she will have my 4. We will then activate the respective iPhones on our lines and I will have a iPhone 5 on my line which has unlimited data and she will have an iPhone 4 with a tiered plan.

Your cool. No hard feelings. I just think people are missing what I'm saying :/

10. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

calm down lol. More power to you if you can pull it off, and this is coming from someone who is going to lose his unlimited data thanks to the POS Verizon. I'm just saying I'm sure Verizon has thought of every which way to prevent people from carrying over the old plan

11. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

This works! My aunt tried it last week when she was getting her SG3. She paid $250 for her phone and has unlimited data. But, if the words gets out, they'll shut it down.

12. TheRocketmac macrumors member

TheRocketmac

13. gemnilocs, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

gemnilocs macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

after speaking with a representative back when the announcement was made, I think I will upgrade and lose the unlimited data for a couple of reasons. like right now I have a pretty decent plan with unlimited talk/text for 69 and unlimited data for $30. but I also have a mifi and the data is $50 a month and I was using hotspot which is another $20 monthly. now if I get another ipad(which I will eventually) I can just share the data. and I just don't think Verizon is gonna let us keep unlimited for too much longer either way so I feel I need to hop on this now or when my contract is up next month before the plans are even more expensive. but I still don't know if I want the new iPhone. i am waiting to see what the specs are and what it looks like. I don't really care for the longer screen. it pretty much looks like the current design ( which I like). if that's the case I may just stick with what I have which is the 4. and Verizon for me has the better service and I need to able to be reached because I work in a medical center and take lots of call. so the other options for cell service aren't options for me because I hear how other people complain. nope, I will pay the higher price for better reliable service.

14. honeygirl macrumors member

For me, I have enough money to buy iphone 5 , then i will do.

15. JerseyDoug, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

JerseyDoug macrumors regular

You only lose unlimited if you upgrade the primary phone on a family plan. Been there, done that. Asked the Verizon rep specifically. I changed to the share plane by choice. Had I upgraded my phone, I would have been forced to change. Mine is the primary line.

16. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

now I'm very confused, so if I'm not the primary line I get to keep my unlimited plan if upgrade to an iPhone 5?

17. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

That is how it worked for me. Got my wife an LTE capable phone and did not have to give up unlimited.

18. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I thought that starting with the iPhone 5 they weren't going to do that anymore, I'll have to check with verizon myself in a few days

19. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Let us know what you find out. I don't see how they can make it phone specific.

20. kannesss macrumors 6502a

I don't use enough data to need unlimited so it's not really a big thing for me to upgrade

21. iforbes macrumors 6502

I have Verizon (or I should say, my wife does). I will be upgrading a dumbphone to a smartphone and getting the 2GB/month data for an extra $30.

22. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I will be, but I am on a shared plan already. Love it. Saving over $100 a month!

23. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I called and confirmed. I can use an upgrade on another of my existing lines, activate the phone on my current line and keep unlimited. The restrictions you refer to are limited to single line plans and new lines added to an existing family plan.

Call the carrier and confirm before you spew rhetoric.