Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy a MacBook Air if it's released?

• Yes

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • How can I say without knowing exactly what it is? :confused:

Votes: 47 51.6%

• Total voters

samueltan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
I am a little worried about its performance~~~too slim~~~. Should I wait some time longer to let apple to figure any problems in the new macbok?

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
i think the specs will be lower than expected. i defiantly wont get one because i simply need the power that this machine wont have. if its packin a sick 2.8 penryn processor and 2GB of ram and a fancy pants graphics card, then ok i may consider it. but i very much doubt it will be that good.

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
i think the specs will be lower than expected. i defiantly wont get one because i simply need the power that this machine wont have. if its packin a sick 2.8 penryn processor and 2GB of ram and a fancy pants graphics card, then ok i may consider it. but i very much doubt it will be that good.

i think it will be along them lines but with gfx similar to the macbook

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
It's still just a rumour, if your in the market for a new computer or just have an itch to spend money on something, then you may as well calm down and ask questions tomorrow. Mind you, no one will have any answers for you then either as it probably wont have been shipped to anyone yet...

Your best bet, wait to see what's released, wait at least a week for reviews from a few different sources and then make a decision.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Ill buy one on Saturday since ill be busy all week and won't have time to do a clean install of OS X.5 and XP Pro SP 3.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
i would have to say no, because it will probably not be a 'pro' machine. it will probably have worst specs than a macbook. i'm more interested in seeing it as a sign of the redesign for the macbook pros. it seems to me that this is the type of thing for people that want something a little more full featured than an iphone

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I'd be tempted as I could use a lightweight machine for work use, but it depends on price and specifications

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
If it is what it is rumored to be and isn't crazy expensive...then I'll probably end up buying one eventually.

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
No, seeing as I just bought a MacBook in November. Personally, I don't think I could stand using a MacBook with a screen smaller than the current ones.

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
I just bought a brand new MacBook Pro (2.4ghz, 256 gfx) from London Apple Store, 3 weeks ago, however if the new MacBook Air looks REALLY cool, I'll go ahead and buy it too!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I just couldn't wait anymore.

Today I purchased a nice MBP. :)

I'm joking. Waiting to see what the keynote holds. An ultra-portable is very tempting.

splashtech

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
No. I bought a black MacBook in September, and an iMac at New Year.

I can't afford anything else - and I can't see myself needing another portable anyway.

macwannabe77

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2007
Pennsylvania USA
I just got a Macbook 2.2 in November. The macbook is about as small as I can take. I feel like I would break anything that would be smaller and thinner. Also, I like having my optical drive IN my computer. I used it often. :apple:

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6
I just bought a MacBook the other week so...no, I will not be buying the "sub-notebook".

I personally went with the MacBook because of the price, the specs(all I really need for a work machine) and the white look(it matches our iMac at home).

I also think this "sub" is going to be way too expensive. I know my MacBook is at least $200-$300 more than it should be. Plus, I don't think the specs on the "sub" will be that great. It will have to have less power and less storage to take care of heat issues and be as thin as it is rumored to be.

Just not the notebook for me. I could always be wrong(but that is why I bought my MacBook on the 5th, just in case this thing is exactly what I need!).

:apple:=broke!

paul.b.davis

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Over the hills and far away...
Maybe in a year or so, if I have the extra money, as it would be a good "on the road" machine, but right now I need the power of my MBP more than I need an ultra small laptop (even though the MBP is smaller than anybody I know's laptop)

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Don't know what it's going to be!

Not much money saved up, upcoming holiday, got a new iMac and my Powerbook is still coping. TBH, it'd have to be *very* good for me to buy one at this time.

Won't stop me drooling though :p

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
ill pass.

I have a feeling it will be a dissapointing keynote.
A sub notebook never outshines a regular notebook in the spec sheet.
I am a power whore and to be honest i dont see myself spending which will probably be 1500+ on something that might be wekaer then the macbook.

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
well it all depends. If the specs can trump my current macbook then I'll probably try to sell it to buy the new one. If the new macbook is all about extra slim and not enough punch then maybe not.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
My main machine was a 17" PB G4 whose hard drive died in Sept. and I've been using a backup 12" PB ever since. I definitely need an upgrade. I plan to buy this (for portability) and an iMac (for more serious work). If the cost of the new book is anywhere near the cost of a macbook, then it will be almost the same price as if I just got a superfast macbook pro but i'm getting 2 machines instead.

Veracon

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2007
Nope, I can't justify a computer with a screen any smaller than 13 inches. If anything, I'm more inclined to buy a 15-incher (if Apple had an affordable one).

Bogie

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
It depends a lot on the price and how freaked out I get when I see it for the first time. If i tingles my spine then my PC will be on craigslist and the MBA will soon be mine!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I can't use any computer that takes on the word "Air" as part of the model.
Besides, some stupid banner prompted some silly people to assume there's a computer coming called MacBook Air. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.