Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I can't afford a Powerbook, but I think I would be ok without a 970. I really don't expect 970s to hit the laptop for a year or so, but if it gets in, great.

P-Worm

pilotgi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
I expect there _will_ be a 970 PowerBook soon.There's been no update and WWDC is only two weeks away.

zuggerat

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2003
NY
nope...im gonna wait...i dont own a mac right now so i want state of the art to bring to school with me this coming semester. I need a fast processor maybe something with a PPC or maybe a 970. ive waited since december, i guess i can stand another few months with this dell piece of crap.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by zuggerat
nope...im gonna wait...i dont own a mac right now so i want state of the art to bring to school with me this coming semester. I need a fast processor maybe something with a PPC or maybe a 970. ive waited since december, i guess i can stand another few months with this dell piece of crap.

Same, I don't own a mac yet, I've been a hardcore Windows user for the past 15 years and use linux when I have to. I really don't want to be stuck with a dated G4 processor... if I'm going to invest in an already extremely expensive powerbook with a weak standard warranty, I want it to be at least beefy.

I would like at least (in order):

PPC 970 Processor
DDR RAM
15.2" screen
Better Graphics Card
Airport Xtreme and Bluetooth
USB 2.0, Firewire 800 and 400
Faster SuperDrive
Larger HD Capacity
Backlit Keyboard

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The following is based on nothing but my own opinions: there will be no 970 powerbook for a while now.

We haven't heard anything about new powerbook motherboards, and apple's notebook sales are still ok with the G4 -- unlike the powermac sales. In my mind, the clear priority should be to get help for the line that really needs it, and that is the professional desktops. The G4, much as everyone likes to complain about it, still has some life in it if other aspects of the system archictecture are improved. A 1.2 or 1.4 Ghz G4 powerbook would be pretty sweet if they cut this crap about not having an L3 cache on the 12" PB, and having such a slow front side bus on all the PBs.

But, to get off my rant and answer the question: I would certainly buy the next revision of the 15" PB without a 970 if I could afford a powerbook at all. Which I can't. :p

zuggerat

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2003
NY
is it possible that they could have just modified the motherboard that they are currently using just for 64 bit processes...if they did then i can see why there hasnt been much talk cause there's no new motherboard replacing the old...how much can a laptop motherboard change...in shape i mean..

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Shape wise it would be same, but it would have to be redesigned from almost the ground up for the new processor architecture.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
zuggerat:

is it possible that they could have just modified the motherboard that they are currently using
Definately not possible. The PPC-970 has a totally different pinout and requires a totally different FSB which requires a totally new system controller with a new pinout, which means rerouting all the lines to the RAM and everything else. After that there's not much left on the motherboard.

QCassidy352:

A 1.2 or 1.4 Ghz G4 powerbook would be pretty sweet
Until it set your desk on fire.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Same, I don't own a mac yet, I've been a hardcore Windows user for the past 15 years and use linux when I have to. I really don't want to be stuck with a dated G4 processor... if I'm going to invest in an already extremely expensive powerbook with a weak standard warranty, I want it to be at least beefy.

I would like at least (in order):

PPC 970 Processor
DDR RAM
15.2" screen
Better Graphics Card
Airport Xtreme and Bluetooth
USB 2.0, Firewire 800 and 400
Faster SuperDrive
Larger HD Capacity
Backlit Keyboard
i d like to see ppc 970 of course but it hasn t to be there.
ddr as its standart all over the world at the moment
ati graphics perhaps 8500 mobile or 9600 mobile, that would be to cool...
backlight keyboard... which is pretty important to me as well.

btw i start to think we ll really see a pb with 970 at the wwdc. => the 15 needs a revision for so long, and, it hasn t got one. we are really near to the wwdc, so perhapss... perhaps.... perhapss....
btw i know it s really unprobable, so don t flamewar about that :D

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Originally posted by QCassidy352
The following is based on nothing but my own opinions: there will be no 970 powerbook for a while now.

Thanks for the DISCLAIMER.

I was about to consider you a "reliable source". :rolleyes: :D

I think the 970 will make it's appearance in PowerMacs at WWDC, possibly with a new display model introduced [30" Cinema HD w/ tv input $3-3,500...I know I'm dreaming :( ], and that we'll see 15" PowerBook's updated [anywhere between now and then] with all the features of the 17" except [maybe] the backlit keyboard.

I think the entire Power line will be 970'd by the release of Panther for full 64-bit operability.

To answer the original question, NO I will not buy a non-970 PowerBook if the 970 is introduced at WWDC and I think that Apple is aware that this wil be a common sentiment.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

The G4 processor isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. I switched from an Athlon 2000 to a G3 800, and the G3 actually feels faster than the Athlon! (same amount of RAM in both machines)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by MacQuest
Thanks for the DISCLAIMER.

I was about to consider you a "reliable source". :rolleyes: :D
At least I was trying to play connect the dots with the current marketing strategy and the availability of concrete news from IBM, and then dumping all the information into a Magic 8-Ball -- worked out a little strange (especially for the iBook/eMac).

I even tried plugging some of the wild 970 rumors and speculation into the Magic 8-Ball, but it laughed at me. :(

So I don't know what to make of some of the rumors regarding the PowerMac/XServe.

Right now the 7457 would probably be a decent choice for the PowerBook...

oomega1

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
i agree with ZildjianKX it will also be my first mac if i choose to get one, and i would also like something thats updated or then no i wouldn't invest in it. I would like....

970 processor
ATI Mobile Radeon 9600
USB 2.0/firewire any
Airport Extreme built-in(necessary)

If not i'm back to i'd just get a pc notebook, only thing holding me back is the word on the lastest 15inch powerbook, the 17inch caught my eye but it was too big and the graphics plain and simple degraded, which was dumb dumb dumb. So if they do something minor or downgrade of course i would like to call all those people who buy it very dumb, and i can only see apple laffing at you and tossing your money up and down at that point. Basics are firewire, lighted keyboard, superdrive, new casing, and graphics card should be a given!!! But for me i expect something good if i'm to pay good money for something, Like a decent speed bump and not just some cheasy update
People may think its much but that 17inch isn't coming out say august or longer... and the update was weak on it, well it would be if it was for the 15inch, with very little point. The 17 inch is much bigger, and last i heard many people had thought there would already be a small speed bost at the time. I'm sure a lot of people agree with me. And i think this is a good time to change. And that 970 is what i want in it.

This 15inch i know is making lots of PC users who haven't used a mac before think and look twice, including myself. So if we're disappointed we probably wont be looking at apple for very long time and especially after august be4 a decent update most likely a lot of college students as well. Most students are not using apple, besides Art students and they are leaning towards PC more then ever. And my only guess is this could shift the time apple got good with edu people and not just artists. Ipods with very decent powerbooks definitely could shift it over. And if not i myself feels a very nice ibm or dell notebook is just around the corner.

OlorintheJedi

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2003
No. It may take a year, but I'll stick to my original G4 500mhz TiBook until the 970 based PowerBooks (preferably second revision) are available.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
i think if they revamped the 15" to have the same specs as the 17" (backlit keys, APEx, integrated bluetooth, ATA100 hdds, fw800, geforce cards, DDR ram) and ditched the titanium for the Alu , all for the same price of the current TiBooks it'd be a worthwhile purchase.

Moe

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
I'm a potential switcher for the second time. Have made my living for the past 15 years on MS and that will continue. Just want to be MS-free in my personal life. Currently am using a borrowed 500MHz, 128MB iBook for the summer (I don't see how Apple gets away with shipping 128MB in current Macs when most of their iLife software specs 256MB minimum... this thing swaps constantly).

My answer to your question is that I probably WILL buy a new 15" Al PB even if it's still G4, because the loaner iBook goes away in the Fall. If you HAVE to buy a Mac now, the fiscally wise thing to do would be to invest as little as possible in a Motorola Mac by buying an iBook, but the problem is that the G3 doesn't have the Altivec code.

I ran into this situation when I bought the LCIII right before the PowerPC came out. Its 68030 wouldn't run some of the subsequently newer apps that called for 68040 processor, which was supported for some time after the PowerPC debuted.

From what I've read, the 970 is microcode compatible with the G4, and I take that to mean it includes Altivec instructions. If that's the case, I see more and more software evolving to Altivec-using versions that won't run on a G3 Mac. That certainly happened with the 68030.

While the G4 may be much less powerful than the 970, hopefully there won't be any 970-unique software it won't run.

That's my take on it.

mcs37

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC

I agree. I don't want to throw down $2,000 on a laptop when it's still using a several year-old processor while simultaneously the new 64-bit next generation processor is coming out on the desktop systems. I'll wait. I just got a tablet PC for a year, too. So that can keep me off. :D

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
I'm not in the market to spend $2500 on a notebook, and I'd rather not buy a PB without a new generation of chip.

I'd like to see the g4 replace the g3 in ibooks though :)

If I saw a PB with a 2.0ghz 970 and a mobility 9600 for $2500, I'd be sold. Don't flame me, I'm just on a budget.

alxths

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2003
I'm not too greedy; all I want is a 12 incher with L3 cache and two upgradable RAM slots... Oh and if they could improve the heat issue, that'd be great too. So, if WWDC brings us the former two, I'll definately be picking one up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.