Will you consider buying ipad pro 12.9 because of very expensive new MBP?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cibonak, Oct 27, 2016.

1. cibonak macrumors regular

cibonak

2. Faelan macrumors regular

Faelan

It all depends on what you need it to do. The 12.9 iPP is an awesome tablet, but there are certain things that iOS just can't do. I think more people will be asking the question - is MacOS worth the extra premium over a Windows laptop?

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

No

My 2015 MacBook Pro will keep me going for many years

4. dugbee macrumors regular

I'm certainly considering it. As a long-time Windows user and still heavy Linux user, I weened myself off of my last Windows machine (at home, anyway) by getting a used Mini as my desktop.

My aging iPad 3 is still my primary device, until it's too slow or I need to do some programming or Linux work. Then I grab my work laptop - but that's not ideal, since it's not mine.

Was hoping today would change that. Buy something new for myself, and use it as my primary device, and perhaps hold off on a new iPad until v2 comes out. But $1800 for the base 13" is too much, and I don't really need the power. (but want Touch ID)

Now I'm really wondering if I should get a refurb or on-sale 128GB iPad Pro, but I need to look at the various IDEs (for Python) and SSH environments first. It would save me a ton of money and at least give me Touch ID on one more device aside from my phone.

5. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Nay for many reasons I sold my old 2014 MacBoo Pro for $1,300 last week. Before Depreciation hit. No one will want and old MBP that lacks the touch bar now. So an old MBP from 14 or 15 that could have sold used for $1,500 now will likely get $700.

Also a base price 2016 New MBP is $2,300 or so ouch. When an iPad Pro 12.9 or 9.7 can do 90% of the work for half the price or less. And has LTE Radios and an actual Touch screen.

IMO, the iPad Pro is a better device add a keyboard and Apple Pencil and you have lets call it a
    Mini MacBook Pro

And look at the ridiculous Apple trackpad on the new 2016 MacBook Pro it's huge and takes up almost as mush width as the keyboard.

6. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I have a 13 inch 2014 rMBP that is serving me quite well, got a great deal when I bought it & can't justify replacing it. Add in my iPad Air 2 & my iPhone 6S Plus & I am content to keep my wallet closed fir awhile.

7. sracer, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That is a very odd question. Someone who needs an MBP isn't going to find the IPP an acceptable alternative.

(edit: changed MBA to MBP, it was supposed to be MBP)

8. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Good point! There are certain things that are still best done on a laptop

9. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i'd love a new MBP. absolutely love one. what a fantastic bit of kit. trouble is, in my life i cant justify one, there's nothing a MBP could do more than my IPP. nothing. meaning it would only be an expensive gimmik :( either that or my expensive IPP would end up on the scrap heap.

10. AlexJoda, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

AlexJoda macrumors regular

AlexJoda

I have given up the idea of buying a new MBP for some years now and using my 12.9 iPP and iPhone 6 as my only permanent mobile devices. If I have to install new IT infrastructures I am using my old 2008 MBP with internal SSD which has all the necessary connectors (Ethernet, DVI and USB-A) and even a DVD drive without the need for any dongles. For the "heavy lifting" computing I use my maxed out iMac 5K which has a 27" screen and is even cheaper than the new maxed out 15" MBP. So for me iPP and iMac is the better combination....

11. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I think most people who still buy laptops need them for things they can't do on an iPad. For those, the price isn't even a factor in this decision.

If I needed a MacBook and didn't have the money to spend on what Apple is charging for the new ones, I'd buy the previous one at a huge discount.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I agree. But I am surprised by how many people posted that they were able to REPLACE their Macbooks with an iPad Pro. If they are able to do what they need done with an iPad then they spent way too much money on a Macbook.

13. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I effectively replaced my MBP with iPads, though I still have my MBP and use it occasionally. I don't really need it, but I can't seem to make myself get rid of it.

But I'm not about to go out and buy a new MBP.

14. profets macrumors 68040

Yes, in a way. Most of my "work" is done on an iMac in my office, but the rest of the time I essentially just use a 9.7" iPad. Enjoy the iPad quite a bit. I was curious what the new MacBook Pro was going to bring, thinking about getting one for home and as a portable machine. I love the idea of the Touch Bar and what they've done with the MacBook Pro, but at the price, and what I'd be using it for, I'm feeling like sticking with iPad and getting a 12.9" the next time they update it. Every time I pick one up at an Apple store it always kind of blows my mind.

15. Zea74 macrumors newbie

I think that a lot of people indeed were buying the shiny MBP because of the nice finish, the great retina screen (as of 2012), ... without necessarily needing the full power of these machines. When I bought my iBook G4, none of the laptops were retina - and the iBook was considerably cheaper than the PowerBook line. My wife needs her rMBP to run SPSS (and understandably insists on the retina screen), but for what I do, my iPad Air 2 (also retina screen), suffices, aided by numerous apps and the magic keyboard. I wouldn't be able to justify purchasing one of the new MBPs just for the occasional backup of (non-professional) pictures, or converting the handful of DVDs that we buy in a year. So yeah, that would be serious overspending

16. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

A year ago all I was jonesing for was a new MBP to replace my aging 2008 MBP. During this past year I've only been using a Refirb 16Gb iPad Air 1 because my old MBP screen and trackpad finally cracked and the battery looked as though it was ready to explode.

Surprisingly to me, as it turns out the little iPad has handled everything I was typically doing on my laptop, and more (I discovered making music using iOS apps and devices which now I love to do). I now much, much prefer using an iPad over using a laptop.

I will thankfully be more than happy to spend the money it takes on a fully maxed out iPP and still be saving thousands over buying a new MBP.

17. andymodem macrumors 6502a

For the most part I'll probably be done with computer purchases save for an entry level Mac mini for the family as long as they keep making them. I do almost everything on the iPad now and just picked up the Pro 12.9 to replace my 12" Retina MacBook which I just have to put in the marketplace for sale.

18. Seed101 macrumors 6502

Seed101

I bought the 12.9 IPP along with a top-end-ish 2015 MBP earlier in the year. It's a great combo!
    If I'd waited and just bought the new 2016 MBP it would have cost me around £1000 more than for both...that's just crazy. :eek:

I'm sure things will be a little faster on the new machine but I'm not really interested in the oled bar and I'm still trying to get my head around the 16gb limit...I'll hope my 2015 MBP last's for a good few years while I see how apple develop the line and check out some of the interesting windows machines at the new price point such as the razor pro 17"...

19. kvyoung macrumors member

Already have a 12.9 IPP, rMBP mid-2012 and 2015 rMB so no intentions of upgrading anytime soon.

20. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Yep. The new MacBook Pros are nice, but I don't use my current one enough as it is. My late 2013 Pro will probably by my last laptop I ever purchase.

21. Savor Suspended

Savor

[​IMG]

if it ran Mac OSX and has ports, then yes. But that's what older MacBooks are for. Remember that iOS devices are priced lower than Macs for a reason. By paying more for OSX, you get more with a more robust Apple operating system. Rather get the "12 rMacBook from last year instead if Air was no longer an option.

LOL @ iOS device as a PC replacement! Can't run Microsoft Office programs. No SD slot or USB ports to recognize thumb drives and externals. No folder system and drag and drop. Doesn't charge as fast. Worse battery life. No cool glowing :apple: logo to flaunt. No MagSafe. Smudge magnet. The only thing an iPad Pro beats MacBook Air is display and cameras. I like iPad more than iPhone but iOS is inferior to Mac OSX for actual PC productivity. An iPad Pro is just a shortcut that still falls short at being a PC replacement.

Check all the dislikes and comments on this video below. LOL @ CNET.

22. noshooz macrumors member

noshooz

I was all ready to replace my mid-2010 15" MBP with the new 2016 model, and waited for the keynote to see what would be offered. I'd already been considering the 12.9 iPad Pro as a possible replacement. Once I saw the $2400 price tag on the new MBP I went out Friday and picked up the iPad Pro and a Zagg slim book keyboard/case and have never looked back. My old MBP will now serve as a DVD player as needed since it has the Super Drive.

23. Savor Suspended

Savor

It really boils down on how you use a computer. When I use my ASUS Transformer Book which I loathe, I preferred using the keyboard over the touchscreen . I loathe it now because of all the hardware and software issues I have with it and the terrible standby time. It dies to 50% in idle while MacBooks can last when it is asleep.

But PC for me boils down to operating system I prefer using. That's simple. The one that was originally built for desktop computing. An iPad may have good enough hardware for a PC replacement but iOS isn't up to stuff. On a Mac, I can run multiple videos playing on YouTube. And where are the ports? An iOS device never had a memory card slot or OTG to begin with.

Pretty easy decision for me and for some reason, I miss the tactile feedback of a keyboard which I type faster on so I don't need a smudge magnet touchscreen. An iPad Pro competes mostly with other tablet two-in-ones and Galaxy Note family but with an iPhone OS that doesn't really compete with a Mac or Windows PC . Tablets trying to disguise themselves as PC replacements. But for desktop computing, Mac OSX will always beat iPhone OS for productivity.

Things like ecosystem and convergence is a marketing ploy. It is part reality and part illusion. Get dedicated devices for certain tasks for the best experience instead of jack-of-all-trades, master of none stuff. Maybe mobile devices can replace point and shoot cameras but desktop computing? Nah.

24. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

Yes and have the 12.9 iPad Pro. As others have mentioned, there are things that can't be done with the iPad alone. I think it comes down to what you mostly use it for. My mid 2010 MBP fills the gap for things the iPad Pro won't do. The new MBPs have outpaced my own needs. I can see its use for others though. The dilemma of notebook choice for me will be whenever I replace my mid 2010 which still runs great. Meanwhile it's status quo.

25. Mercaptan macrumors regular